Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Bringing some USA TruTrack Chrome Tours to Ballyhack
Got a few sleeves of CS Truvis left, but planning on bringing a pile of CS TruTracks as well. Yellow for me and my crappy vision.

Got a few sleeves of CS Truvis left, but planning on bringing a pile of CS TruTracks as well. Yellow for me and my crappy vision.
Nice! Yellow TruTrack will be tried this year!

Nice! Yellow TruTrack will be tried this year!
I'm guessing you move the ball a little further than I do but you're welcome to take a sleeve of my CS home with you assuming I don't lose them all. :LOL:

It is probably all in my head, but I would swear that every good drive I hit in the sim yesterday was with the Chrome Tour. Markedly better feel, which I would never usually notice.

I kept switching back and forth working on swing things, and the Tour just felt like I was hitting it better. Every time I hit the Chrome Soft I would think I hit it bad, but the numbers were still there.

It is a weird thing to think I liked one better off the driver, I don't know that I have ever felt that way before with a ball.

I'm guessing you move the ball a little further than I do but you're welcome to take a sleeve of my CS home with you assuming I don't lose them all. :LOL:
I’m not a long hitter. SS just under 100. Used to play yellow and black Truvis all the time Until I started trying a bunch of other balls including CSX and XLS.

Anyone know where you can still get the 3/1 deal on CT in YELLOW? I've played enough rounds with them now that I've decided I'm going to stick with the CT for foreseeable future.

I think I’m going to rerun the testing and include the CTX in for the full picture. I am looking for the numbers I jotted down when I did it previously, but can’t find them.
This is why you post them!

Saying that partly to lock them into my brain. I can never find them when I need them either.

Did have a good session with CTX though and inside it's a killer ball for me.

After extensive indoor testing this winter I settled on CTX. It was definitely the perfect ball on a launch monitor. Yesterday there was one shot that I think proved why leaned into more spin.

I had a PW approach from some pretty heavy rough with the ball sitting halfway down. The shot was playing down wind and I had to carry a greenside bunker. It was a tough shot and one that easily could have come up short with less than perfect contact. The real concern though was conditions ripe for a nuked low spin bomb past the back pin. That was a certain bogey or worse.

I hit it to 1 foot for a tap in bird. Yes it was a good shot, but I'm excited for the distance control, spin and overall flight that I saw.

It's been fun seeing what the Chrome Tour can do around the greens now that the Bermuda is no longer dormant and there is actually grass under the ball. The combination of the Jaws Raw wedges and the Chrome Tour have been working really well for me. For my game, I get the right amount of spin with wedges on full to half swings where the ball will hold but not spin back off the green. Around the greens, I get a consistent action and predictable rollout.

Ball flight with my irons has been consistent as well. No surprises in carry and it holds it line well in the wind.

I have two rounds in with the Chrome Tour and two with CTX. Last year I ended up playing the CSX LS, so that's my main comparison. My limited take so far.

Chrome Tour:
  • Absolutely doesn't feel harsh off the club on any shot, even the putter. I like softer balls and the CT is soft enough to please me.
  • Putter speed control was quite easy to get a hang off and the Tru Track was easy to line up.
  • TT is really easy to find anywhere! And easy to recognize from a far too.
  • Had my longest drives in a while with the combo of CT and DarkSpeed X. Good shots were really good and bad shots were not that bad. I feel like the CT is doing the same thing as the CSX LS, where my miss that could generate a ton of side spin just doesn't.
  • Wedges were not spinning like crazy, but that's more up to me not being that good at spinning shots.
  • Irons were of an expected distance from previous, even had some really great ones distance and dispersion wise.
  • What can I say, I'm liking them so far.

Chrome Tour X:
  • Scores were worse than with the CT, but I'm not really blaming the ball too much.
  • Doesn't seem to check any better or worse for me on chips and wedge shots than the CT. I may jus be bad at putting spin to a ball, which leaves me not benefitting that much from the added spin on CTX.
  • Off the putter, it doesn't feel harsh, but distance control was a bit harder feeling than with the CT.
  • I was shorter off the tee with the CTX and felt like my missed shots had more curve, meaning more in the junk than with the CT. This relates to my experience with the CS vs. CSX.
  • Iron shots might spin more, as I feel like I'm losing 5-10m versus the CT on good shots.
Main takeaway? Need to take them to the monitor, but so far CT is definitely winning for me.

I have two rounds in with the Chrome Tour and two with CTX. Last year I ended up playing the CSX LS, so that's my main comparison. My limited take so far.

Chrome Tour:
  • Absolutely doesn't feel harsh off the club on any shot, even the putter. I like softer balls and the CT is soft enough to please me.
  • Putter speed control was quite easy to get a hang off and the Tru Track was easy to line up.
  • TT is really easy to find anywhere! And easy to recognize from a far too.
  • Had my longest drives in a while with the combo of CT and DarkSpeed X. Good shots were really good and bad shots were not that bad. I feel like the CT is doing the same thing as the CSX LS, where my miss that could generate a ton of side spin just doesn't.
  • Wedges were not spinning like crazy, but that's more up to me not being that good at spinning shots.
  • Irons were of an expected distance from previous, even had some really great ones distance and dispersion wise.
  • What can I say, I'm liking them so far.

Chrome Tour X:
  • Scores were worse than with the CT, but I'm not really blaming the ball too much.
  • Doesn't seem to check any better or worse for me on chips and wedge shots than the CT. I may jus be bad at putting spin to a ball, which leaves me not benefitting that much from the added spin on CTX.
  • Off the putter, it doesn't feel harsh, but distance control was a bit harder feeling than with the CT.
  • I was shorter off the tee with the CTX and felt like my missed shots had more curve, meaning more in the junk than with the CT. This relates to my experience with the CS vs. CSX.
  • Iron shots might spin more, as I feel like I'm losing 5-10m versus the CT on good shots.
Main takeaway? Need to take them to the monitor, but so far CT is definitely winning for me.
This is good stuff for the Chrome Tour and been my experience as well. I don't want a ball that spins too much with my wedges since I do put spin on it so don't want to see a shot pull back off the green. Love the CT with my irons and off the tee.

I have not hit the Chrome Tour X much at all and I will try to get on the monitor this weekend and compare the two.

CT was in play for league again tonight. Played 3 holes in a pretty steady rain and the ball performed very well in the conditions

Last edited:
Hit the simulator today and really got my swing grooved. I then went to the GC3 and it carried over well. The Chrome Tour does everything I want. I feels great and doesn't spin up to bad with driver. When the swing was good today carries were hitting the 270 mark on the GC3. I hit roughly 25 balls with driver and all but one was in play. As horrible as the swing has been its kinda relieving.

I ended up playing a Chrome Tour X ball for most of the BagBoy Championship. My thought process was that I wanted something that was going to offer me as much spin and control I could possibly get into those greens. I still kind of prefer the Chrome Tour, but I won't lie, the on-course results with the X were pretty good.

The Chrome Tour is so good. It has enough spin to stop into a green, plenty long off the tee and doesn't climb. The first ball/club combo I don't feel will climb on my swing.

The buy 3 get 4 deal has to be ending soon. The estimated time for them to arrive is 2-3 weeks. I strongly suggest if you are looking for a great golf ball you check out this deal.

Chrome Tour USA TruTrack was excellent for me during the Quest Cup!

Got to compare the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X on the Bushnell Launch Monitor a bit over the weekend. Unfortunately, because the lighting is terrible, the launch monitor was not picking up the driver swings. I will try to get that figured out.

With the irons, the Chrome Tour and CT X perform exactly as advertised as it relates to spin. I knew the CT would spin more than the X based on my time with it previously but was surprised to see nearly a 1k difference in spin between the two with a pitching wedge and 865 rpm difference with the 7i. This was on a mat indoors. The CT carried about 3.5 more yards than the X for me. The CT launched slightly higher. Peak height was a little higher on the CT, but not much of a difference.

Numbers from the PW and 7i:

Chrome Tour X PW Averages:
Ball speed: 118.17
Launch angle: 27.42
Back spin: 9329.17
Carry: 148.65
Peak Height: 47.58

Chrome Tour PW Averages:
Ball Speed: 119.53
Launch Angle: 28.13
Back spin: 8346.5
Carry: 152.28
Peak Heigh: 49.58

Chrome Tour X PW Averages:
Ball Speed: 134.74
Launch angle: 21.12
Back spin: 7127.4
Carry: 184.82
Peak Height: 49.08

Chrome Tour 7i Averages:
Ball Speed: 134.33
Launch angle: 21.75
Back spin: 6262
Carry: 188.42
Peak Height: 49.63 yards

It's been fun seeing what the Chrome Tour can do around the greens now that the Bermuda is no longer dormant and there is actually grass under the ball. The combination of the Jaws Raw wedges and the Chrome Tour have been working really well for me. For my game, I get the right amount of spin with wedges on full to half swings where the ball will hold but not spin back off the green. Around the greens, I get a consistent action and predictable rollout.

Ball flight with my irons has been consistent as well. No surprises in carry and it holds it line well in the wind.
you noticed less spin back or action with the CT on the greens with full swing approaches compared to something like the Chrome Soft X?

you noticed less spin back or action with the CT on the greens with full swing approaches compared to something like the Chrome Soft X?
I have not put the X into play on the course yet. Been playing the CT since December since it fit me so well. Nothing is more frustrating to me than to hit a good shot with a wedge and then see it spin back off the green. I think that's what I would run into potentially with the X. I haven't played a Prov1 or 1x in forever for that reason. It's a me problem versus a ball issue.

I was hitting a draw with the PW on this session (not on purpose) and usually play a slight fade with both the X and regular Chrome Tour. I would normally have more spin with a wedge.

I have not put the X into play on the course yet. Been playing the CT since December since it fit me so well. Nothing is more frustrating to me than to hit a good shot with a wedge and then see it spin back off the green. I think that's what I would run into potentially with the X. I haven't played a Prov1 or 1x in forever for that reason. It's a me problem versus a ball issue.

I was hitting a draw with the PW on this session (not on purpose) and usually play a slight fade with both the X and regular Chrome Tour. I would normally have more spin with a wedge.
my last two rounds ive spun the CSX off the green about 40 ft each and it drove me nuts haha

my last two rounds ive spun the CSX off the green about 40 ft each and it drove me nuts haha
That is the worst feeling watching it happen and you can’t do anything about it.

I played the Chrome Tour USA TruTrack for most of my time at Ballyhack last week, and it is proving to be a really solid ball for me.

I'm still curious about the CTX since I wonder if I could use more spin at times, but I could play the CT all year without worries and be happy.

A winner has finally been declared in my Chrome Tour vs Chrome Soft battle - the Chrome Soft will be my ball for the year. I played them against each other again today, it's such a close battle and I could be happy with either one, but the Chrome Soft feels/sounds better off the putter for me and that was the deciding factor. The Chrome Tour has a slight edge in greenside performance, but it's not huge (at least for my swing), and I really struggled with putting the Chrome Tour today. Went back to the Chrome Soft and it felt like home - my touch was better, and it just felt more comfortable off the putter face.

I'm not seeing any difference in distance, and the Chrome Soft seems to be straighter on full shots, most likely because of lower spin (seat of the pants, I don't have launch monitor numbers to back that theory up). It could be familiarity too, since I played the CS all last year, but either way I'm perfectly happy to have it in the bag going forward.

A winner has finally been declared in my Chrome Tour vs Chrome Soft battle - the Chrome Soft will be my ball for the year. I played them against each other again today, it's such a close battle and I could be happy with either one, but the Chrome Soft feels/sounds better off the putter for me and that was the deciding factor. The Chrome Tour has a slight edge in greenside performance, but it's not huge (at least for my swing), and I really struggled with putting the Chrome Tour today. Went back to the Chrome Soft and it felt like home - my touch was better, and it just felt more comfortable off the putter face.

I'm not seeing any difference in distance, and the Chrome Soft seems to be straighter on full shots, most likely because of lower spin (seat of the pants, I don't have launch monitor numbers to back that theory up). It could be familiarity too, since I played the CS all last year, but either way I'm perfectly happy to have it in the bag going forward.
I think you chose wisely. I'm looking to get the new CS into play. I have a couple dozen leftover from last year. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I have now played the same old Truvis for 27 holes.

Back