Cobra DARKSPEED Drivers Review

Was the ball position something you were instructed, or do you see significant changes to the ball flight?

I've always felt that more centered I was, the harder it was to square and get an upward aoa.
From my instructor . I get the ball way left in my set up so he is moving it back. In all reality it is not close to center but feels like it is.

From my instructor . I get the ball way left in my set up so he is moving it back. In all reality it is not close to center but feels like it is.
Isn’t it amazing how a little change feels MAAAAAASSSIIIVE in this game for so damn long?

Isn’t it amazing how a little change feels MAAAAAASSSIIIVE in this game for so damn long?
Yes I shake my head when something like that happens. In my lesson Friday i was hitting draw after draw with a great swing path in to out. It is very hard for me to implement it on course so it is going to take some work. Habits are so hard to break sometimes.

I decided to to check the swing weight of my DS LS with the standard weight set up before I started to mess with the 8g weights. I knew it was lighter than my Ping just by feel but didn’t expect slightly below d2. So just replaced the heel 3g with the 8 and swing weight is just slightly over d4 now. Will give that a rip today on the monitor

Played 18 today and really hit the X well. Found some pop with my swing today and was able to get this up in the air quite a bit more today. Got some really nice roll out and more carry. Hit several of my longest drives of the year today. Lots of fun!!!

Last edited:
I did a little experiment. I tested a max head turned down and had the best driving day all year. Weird being in the max head but results are results

And Cobra sent the wrong shaft.

They sent a LIN-Q white, not the blue. I can't get the spin over 1800RPM or the launch over about 11°.

The correct shaft has already been ordered for a straight swap.

Their fault and mine as well for not checking.

i gotta get back down to the store and hit these again....the fact that you can get them with a UST LInQ Blue or White is crazy good

My man @Jman has brought some extra shafts to plug into the LS for some range time fun.

Still working on the swing changes and getting the swing speed back up with better leg use and such, but liking the better accuracy vs my old S2+ which went better with my older long drive style swing. That 276 long also had some wind behind it. But the p-avg is pretty close. Just hard to play a two way miss with the old swing.

1713193642277.png

IMG_3895.jpeg

Spent some time today hitting the Cobra Darkspeed X today with the Linq Prototype Shaft. I’m having very different results hitting this versus my old Callaway Mavrik set up. Having once always hit the driver left off of the tee every time. I’m not hitting some of the straightest balls I’ve ever seen. Ball speed is fantastic and I’m really feeling the forgiveness on misses, which are very playable and still great distance. This is definitely going to be a fairway finder.

And Cobra sent the wrong shaft.

They sent a LIN-Q white, not the blue. I can't get the spin over 1800RPM or the launch over about 11°.

The correct shaft has already been ordered for a straight swap.

Their fault and mine as well for not checking.
Isn't the blue supposed to be lower spinning than the white?

Isn't the blue supposed to be lower spinning than the white?
I believe that the white profile is both lower launch and spin than the blue.

This right here. Also how Danny explained them in a recent video:

Thought I had read the white was low launch mid-spin and the blue was mid-launch low spin.

Edit: it was the cobra site that I saw that description.

The following is a summary of my experience last Friday on a TrackMan comparing the X and LS heads:

X head - heavy weight forward, 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5S shaft, standard loft and lie setting
LS head - heavy weight back, 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD VF 4S shaft, standard loft and lie setting

The comparison is not completely apples to apples, because of the loft difference. Also, even though the shaft is the same make and profile, one is a little heavier in weight.

With that in mind, at least for this one session, the launch and spin profiles were overlapping to the point that there was no statistical difference. The average ball speed was a bit higher with the LS, but this could be because I was able to swing the lighter shaft a bit faster. Peak ball speed was 1 mph higher with the LS. A right miss would spin up a couple hundred rpms higher with the X head. A smother would spin a couple hundred rpms lower with the LS head.

For me, these two setups would be almost interchangeable. However, on that particular day, I seemed to hit the LS more centered more frequently.

LS was finally delivered yesterday so got out to the range this evening. Put in my Hazrdus RDX Red, 10.5 std weight back. What a bomber! Super impressed with the forgiveness in this setup, I pushed many drives out of the toe, high, low, and it just consistently delivered a nice baby draw.

I was a little worried it wouldn’t feel as good as X weight forward, but it’s just as good, if not a little better with a more muted sound/impact. Unfortunately I didn’t have my driver tool on hand to change weight settings, but I see no need to play with it right now other than “science”. Put a good number of balls over the net at 260, which was very rarely done with my G410+ over the last 4 yrs.

I can’t get over the sound coming from my Ping. Just a dull thud no matter where you hit it. Very excited for the season now!
View attachment IMG_1803.mov

Last edited:
Had a lunch break range session with the Darkspeed X. Wasn't getting the distance I want but really noticed the forgiveness today. Even though side spin and the slice were still present it was.much less than normal. Was actually seeing a baby cut at times and that was a pleasant change.

It's pretty crazy to hit something knowing it's gonna be a weapon when you finally figure out your swing issues.

Will be hitting a simulator at some point this week and hopefully weather allows some course time Wednesday night.

White is the low, blue is the mid and red is the high.
My bad, I was going off info on the Cobra website which has the white as low/mid spin and the blue as low spin

Went out again last night for a few holes at dusk and on the long par 4 closest to my house I hit one as far as I've ever hit one the first time I played it and then hit one further than I have ever hit one on that hole. Figuring out how to launch this a bit higher has been a game changer. The power was there I just wasn't taking advantage of it with low ball flight now I'm flying it a bit higher and getting the big carry and still getting the nice roll out. This is a fun driver. Also did I mention how strait it is? It has a very stable ball flight when the face is even close to square.

Was practicing irons tonight and hit them longer than normal, so hit a few drivers as hard as i could or see what i could get up to. Hit a new Darkspeed PB.

IMG_0002.png

I am kind of hitting a wall this year in building my ball speed back up. Age may be getting me. However, having tried numerous heads and setups, nothing gives me more optimal numbers than the DarkSpeed LS.
I used to have around a 5* upward angle of attack with driver, but in my effort to swing through the ball, It is now hanging at somewhere between 1.5* and 2.5*, still positive, but I think that this delivery is creating more spin with my driver. The LS counteracts that spin. Playing the 10.5* head and settling into the heavy weight in the heel appears to be the way to go. I don’t know whether I am going to be able to get the ball speed back up above 150 this year, but if I can keep it at least here, I can still play the tee boxes and courses that I would like to play and have a chance to score.

IMG_6643.jpeg

These are getting Cobra tips today…

IMG_6668.jpeg

Back