Would you ever take driver out of the bag pending the course you are playing?

I don’t and the reason I have a 3+ in the bag to help on the driving holes where driver is too much or I need more accuracy
so given the circumstances, only 6 tee shots, you would still carry driver and not simply tee off with the 3+?

Well, at least a few folks would consider it. I'm kinda kicking it around just as a test case if nothing else.

so given the circumstances, only 6 tee shots, you would still carry driver and not simply tee off with the 3+?
For me I would. I want to hit driver as much as possible. If that means only 6 times and the rest is with the 3+ then so be it. My top of the bag is built for this situation specifically. After 3+ I go Heavenwood then 4hybrid....That covers all I need to manage my way around a course.

Not at my age.
20 years ago, maybe. used to play one course that was fairly short and narrow, and I had a strong (13.5 ) 3wd.
I do occasionally swap out other spots in the bag, like 3h for a 5wd or pull a club for an extra wedge.

I am trying to get better at my irons so i am tempted to only play my irons (no woods or hybrids). Teeing off with my 3i would be fun! And yes, i have played my hybrids off the tee in the past and played better golf because of it. No club is safe in my bag. Anything goes.

My slice got so bad last year that I played basically all season without a driver or fairway woods in the bag. Forced me to get better with my irons and take some lessons. The driver is back this year.

My slice got so bad last year that I played basically all season without a driver or fairway woods in the bag. Forced me to get better with my irons and take some lessons. The driver is back this year.
That’s the spirit!

love the grind!

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where i would....even on a very short course, statistics largely show hitting drivers makes sense , for example a 280yd par 4.....smack it next to the green and make birdie.

It would have to take a very specific type of course for me to not carry one

It made me want to ask, have you ever pulled driver based on the course? It's an interesting thought experiment to me.
Benefits to leaving driver at home:
1) 3-wood from a tee box is within 20 yards of driver.
2) shorter shafted 3-wood is easier to hit consistently straight than driver
3) tempo improves (for all clubs within the bag) when driver is out of the picture

Only on a par 3 course. It's my biggest weapon on any normal course.

angry fox GIF by Family Guy

They don't make courses short and tight enough for me to get by without a driver. Or if they do, I sure wouldn't want to play one.

I haven’t. I don’t think at my age/distance i would either. I might leave it in the bag and choose another club. But nothing on the shelf would slot for me.

Here’s another thought. Might a person have a maybe 3-4” shorter shaft for the driver on courses like this?

Never unless it’s a par 3 course.

I don’t and haven’t, even when I’m hitting it like a complete turd. Just stubborn and stubborn like hitting driver.

Does going mini driver count?

Not taking mine out. Hit 11/14 last round. It's more predictable than my 3 or 5 woods.

Nope, I need distance.

If it made sense, absolutely. I’ve played from 5,000 yards and knew ahead of time the driver would not gain any advantage.

But if I had even one hole where driver was the right club I wouldn’t leave it at home.

You say you might only use driver 6 times, but using it 6 times will still make it one of your more frequently used clubs. Would you ever leave your 7-iron at home because you'll probably only hit it 2-3 times?

I have done it..... but in recent years only to pack the 13.5* Mini.

Back