Would you ever take driver out of the bag pending the course you are playing?

Scooby45

Use data, get better.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
I'm playing 54 holes this weekend on some short, narrow, dogleg loving tracks. After reviewing them on Shot Scope My Strategy, it appears driver may only be the play on around 6 on them, unless I really get in the groove. It has me considering whether driver gets a slot in the bag if it will only be used 6 times, being replaced by the second driver or 4 wood.

It made me want to ask, have you ever pulled driver based on the course? It's an interesting thought experiment to me.

I have not, but I've been trying to lean into my 3w which has historically not been my tee club of choice.

I would love to both get better at the driver and also be comfortable not taking it.

Never

Nope, need the distance.

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

only if it is a par 3 course.. Otherwise? NEVER!!!!

Par 3 course would be the only time

Never it is as reliable as 3W or hybrid off the tee.

United Kingdom Resignation GIF by Storyful

I have never pulled the driver out.

The only time I ever have was going to a mini driver back in the SLDR days, but even then that thing was 12 degrees and basically still a driver

Distance is too important to abandon it

Shortknocker says never.

I'm playing 54 holes this weekend on some short, narrow, dogleg loving tracks. After reviewing them on Shot Scope My Strategy, it appears driver may only be the play on around 6 on them, unless I really get in the groove. It has me considering whether driver gets a slot in the bag if it will only be used 6 times, being replaced by the second driver or 4 wood.

It made me want to ask, have you ever pulled driver based on the course? It's an interesting thought experiment to me.
I don’t and the reason I have a 3+ in the bag to help on the driving holes where driver is too much or I need more accuracy

I had driver involuntarily removed as was being replaced and retailer had original whilst new one was being supplied by Tm.

The course was approx 6820 yards ( in your language ) … I won the day in our golf group. Kept me shorter but straight and gave looks , more forced on longer par 5 /4 to go 3w -3w then a lofted club in ……

I would do it again , course dependant ( regardless if driver was available )

There is one course near me (Herndon Centennial for locals) that does not require me to bring a driver. There are holes where I can hit it, but it's generally a pretty tight course and it's absolutely not needed. Doesn't stop me from bringing it and hitting it. Just have to be selective with your spots. I've played it with and without. Scores are about the same.

Yes. I have and will, but with an asterisks. I'll pull "big driver" out of the bag, but I'll keep my 300 Mini driver (cut to 7W length) in it.

I can hit the mini-Mini 270+ at times and way more accurately overall than big driver. When I'm playing a match at an away course, shorter and/or tighter, I've removed big driver just to eliminate the temptation to hit it. I'll add hybrid or wedge, depending.

Absolutely would, especially with a mini driver in the bag.

Yep. Especially when I’m firmly on the struggle bus when hitting driver.

I’d rather keep the ball in play.

I actually play irons only rounds on purpose to put myself in different places on the two courses I play most for practice.

When im trying to score....always.
My 4 iron is 210 Yards solid and middle of fairway 8/10
Driver is un playable 5/10
Always take the higher percentage play

I generally don't pull clubs out of my bag, I just leave them in and don't use them if I don't need them. With that said, the only place I could see not needing driver would be on a par 3 or short executive course.

Back