Telling people what you do for work.

I do but in a comical way because I have a stupid sense of humor. I currently tell people I commit mass homicide all day every day. Then I explain that I am an exterminator lol.

I’m a history professor, I’ll start lecturing, they’ll walk away. Works every time.
My youngest son (16) would love talking to you, especially if it is war related.

When people ask I say, I don't do anything, I'm a lazy government worker.

If they insist I tell them I work for the sewer department, we're #1 with your #2's!

I would prefer to talk about my past work rather than my current because it was way more interesting but I also have to be sufficiently vague.

"I'm a subterranean engineer. As a matter of fact, that $20 I just gave you just happened to be floating by while I was at work"

Not normally few people seem to understand the livestock marketing business or the reason that I commute 9+ hours a couple times a month to do it. Hell some times I wonder.

I just tend to avoid conversation with people I don't know.
Works well.

Imagine if we had never talked.. You would totally be missing out on an awesome friend.. ;)

I see no need to tell them what I do, unless they ask me.
I merely introduce myself with my name and that's it.

If they ask I tell them - but I don't like talking about work, so I certainly don't lead with it.

I tell them I work in Consulting for a Healthcare Software company - and for 99% of people, they don't ask anything else.

I do when asked. I find about 1/4 of the people (a good amount of tech companies in my area) know what a product manager does. The other 3/4 ask "what's that?" and their eyes begin to glaze over as I explain it.
I feel this. I'm a PM for a company that provides specialty lab services and that's about where I usually lose people. My go-to is just telling them that "I heard cats out of a burning building" :ROFLMAO:

I feel this. I'm a PM for a company that provides specialty lab services and that's about where I usually lose people. My go-to is just telling them that "I heard cats out of a burning building" :ROFLMAO:
When the eyes glaze over I tell them that I get people smarter than me to build things they don't want to.

Depends. As I have my day job, Health Care Administration, and that usually leads down one or two paths, especially if someone is trying to navigate the paths of Florida Medicare and Medicaid.

The other, owning a retail bicycle shop, that's at least fun to talk about. Until someone wants something!
Hey I need a bike what kind of deal can you give me? :p

I just say finance related in the healthcare industry. People don't really ask specifics, which is fine by me. The managed care/reimbursement field is pretty niche so most wouldn't know what I'm talking about anyway.

I tell people I work for the state and they generally lose interest.

I do when asked. I find about 1/4 of the people (a good amount of tech companies in my area) know what a product manager does. The other 3/4 ask "what's that?" and their eyes begin to glaze over as I explain it.
Glad it’s not just me haha

I only tell people if they ask me. Especially now where I live, people want to know the "deets" of certain high profile news stories, and it just makes me uncomfortable. Its not every time, but it happens more times than not.

I work for the government in a secured building. Because I value my security clearance I will not discuss what I do.

Last edited:
I do, and never had anyone ask me to help with their commercial business insurance risk analysis and pricing needs. Usually their eyes glaze over and the conversation changes quickly, almost as though people don't enjoy data analysis and predictive modeling or something. Weird.

I use to say, an engineer for an aerospace company. Most are bored with engineers, so I have no problems. Now I say, retired and then we talk about Medicare and ailments LOL>

Simply summarize and say if it connects to the Internet or requires tools, it usually falls within it. Will go into more detail if asked, but usually ends there.

My neighbors usually call me first before going to a home improvement store, calling for a service call, or purchasing focused tool's :ROFLMAO:

I just tell them I'm retired from the Air Force.

Back