Telling people what you do for work.

If someone asks, yes. I usually couch it in a pretty specific way like I'm an appellate lawyer. If we're joking a bit when it comes up, I tell people I kill trees.

Do you tell new people you meet what you do for a living?
I usually do, but i regret it. I am an electrical contractor, and any time someone such as a neighbor finds out, they all have a ceiling fan or a switch that isn't working that "will only take you a couple of minutes". No homeowner project takes a couple of minutes, as it takes a return trip with the right parts or they started it and totally hacked it in.
I have started telling people I am a gynecologist, as I dare them to ask me to come over and look at their little issue. :ROFLMAO:
I am an insurance agent. I always tell people when asked and gladly do quotes if people want as that's how I make money ;).
Of course I do. I work for the place that hosts the best golf experiences in the world. Damn proud of it
Facts

I'll tell people. My job is pretty specific so I don't get many people needing my help.

I keep it simple and vauge.

"I work in tech"

I am an insurance agent. I always tell people when asked and gladly do quotes if people want as that's how I make money ;).

Facts
I don't live where I work so i'm not worried about the work where I live or golf. We have work booked out for nearly 2 years.
I guarantee that anyone who asks to look a a small little issue isn't going to want to pay me the $180 I charge for the first hour. They usually think I am going to come over and install the ceiling fan they just bought for a couple of beers while they watch. Little do they know that the back box is 99% of the time not rated for the fan and its a two hour job minimum to install it correctly, So no i'm not spending two hours doing it for a 12 pack of beer.

It depends on who is asking... but usually I just say I'm an electrical engineer. On course I'll usually go into more detail. Around the neighborhood I keep the details to myself!

I do, but then explaining research administration at the VA becomes a long roundabout conversation

Now that i think about it i probably annoy people with my work more than they annoy me LOL

I'm usually the guy at your house or party or whatever that has stories about how your thermostat or vacuum or riding mower is made.

If you tell people you work in the HVAC/Plumbing industry that is all you'll get asked about for the foreseeable future.

I’m a history professor, I’ll start lecturing, they’ll walk away. Works every time.

I don't live where I work so i'm not worried about the work where I live or golf. We have work booked out for nearly 2 years.
I guarantee that anyone who asks to look a a small little issue isn't going to want to pay me the $180 I charge for the first hour. They usually think I am going to come over and install the ceiling fan they just bought for a couple of beers while they watch. Little do they know that the back box is 99% of the time not rated for the fan and its a two hour job minimum to install it correctly, So no i'm not spending two hours doing it for a 12 pack of beer.
Oh for sure. I saw a thing recently that broke down why highly skilled trades people charge what they do. The gist was that a customer can pay for the education/tools/training instead and it would cost a lot more. I cant fix a dam thing so I gladly pay for people who can.

Reinsurance Broker. Mostly I have to explain what that is.

I do, but I simplify it as much as I can... "sales for a steel distributor".

I do when asked. I find about 1/4 of the people (a good amount of tech companies in my area) know what a product manager does. The other 3/4 ask "what's that?" and their eyes begin to glaze over as I explain it.
Interesting job, but yeah outside of corporate folk it’s not likely to be well known.

It’s the last thing I want to talk about so I just make stuff up. I tell people I’m a master builder who works from home. I’m in a room alone all day masterbuilding.

That usually wraps that up lol.

Depends on the audience, but I usually just say I’m a government worker.

If you tell people you work in the HVAC/Plumbing industry that is all you'll get asked about for the foreseeable future.
Can you check out my water heater?

Unrelated - could you send me that new Garmin GPS watch? kthx
It is nice having that Garmin employee purchase option.

Compliance side of an investment company, I keep FINRA away from our reps!

It is nice having that Garmin employee purchase option.
I have no idea if that's a thing and I'm obviously kidding but back when I worked in retail we did have that option for employee purchase stuff and some items were like 80%+ off, it was crazy.

I remember building gaming computers back then for hundreds of dollars and all I needed to do was a few quizzes and log in to buy things on the cheap.

I have no idea if that's a thing and I'm obviously kidding but back when I worked in retail we did have that option for employee purchase stuff and some items were like 80%+ off, it was crazy.

I remember building gaming computers back then for hundreds of dollars and all I needed to do was a few quizzes and log in to buy things on the cheap.
Yes, it's a thing. When the Garmin rep comes through, they will often give the guys that work at the shop freebies or demo units, as they went them out on the group rides sporting the newest stuff. Free advertising, and smart. Whenever someone asks me what device I use, if I state it's a Garmin something or other, that will help with sales.

Yes, it's a thing. When the Garmin rep comes through, they will often give the guys that work at the shop freebies or demo units, as they went them out on the group rides sporting the newest stuff. Free advertising, and smart. Whenever someone asks me what device I use, if I state it's a Garmin something or other, that will help with sales.
Perks of the job!

I have 4 jobs this time of year. If anyone asks I tend to only mention the 2 that I like and are the most interesting to me and them.

I'm in Cybersecurity and by the time anyone needs my help they have already clicked the link to help the Nigerian Prince recover his wealth.

Back