Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers

Great looking drivers, micro deflections and no jailbreak is interesting but makes sense based on the technology. Loving the videos rolling in from the Grandaddy peeps and the sounds of the driver sound great.

IMG_5555.jpeg

When they say this is the most advanced driver ever made they mean it. The volume of data that went into its development is staggering. Using Swing Code....Data based model on REAL GOLFERS delivering the club to ball... to use to optimize the design is staggering. 10,000 data point are captured for every golf ball hit at ECPC. Bin that data into groups of golfers that will hit each model....THEN use it as the basis to refine the face. Staggering.

Grandaddy guys, tell me about the Sound!!?!?!
look at post 5. It's sounds so freaking good though, just that nice crisp thwack on the verge of almost metallic. I love it

And the head over is much better this year. Can’t wait to try these.

No jail break. Well that’s something. Curious about micro. Max or triple diamond will need to be tried
the face is so robust they no longer need it.

I've got a Max. 10.5

I will.

You nailed it in the article, this isn’t just a slight movement of weight and a paint job, this is a real step forward.

Yeah. I think that’s a super important point. Definitely not a Paradym 2.0 - it’s a brilliant driver. Honestly, seeing some of the big hitters at the Grandaddy send this thing was a treat. I’m neither the longest or shortest of the bunch but I felt so confident with this club. @mtbloco and I had a nice little thing going day one. I’d send driver and let him do the rest of the work, haha.

Grandaddy guys, tell me about the Sound!!?!?!
The sound is amazing. It sounds explosive and muted at the same time. I thought the Paradym sounded good and the Ai Smoke blows it out of the water.

In hand pics are super sharp!

Reactions: MH
Let’s see what all the fuss is about!

As part of the Grandaddy, we were given direct access to Callaway and an opportunity to hear from them about the new Ai Smoke drivers. I am a huge fan of the Paradym driver line and have had my best year of driving ever using the Paradym Triple Diamond. Whenever you hear companies make big claims, it’s fair to be skeptical. I was blown away by what last year’s model in terms of what I personally saw in ball speed consistency, spin consistency, and carry distance.

Even though I have played Callaway drivers exclusively for the last 6 or 7 years, outside of forum testing, my concern was that the newest line would not live up to the Paradym. My thought was: How could it get better and what if I don’t like it?

So, what has Callaway done with the newest line? To begin with, Ai Smoke is the most sophisticated face ever made. It is the culmination of 50,000+ face iterations, 250,000 swings, 1,040,000 data points, and 80,000 lines of custom code. What this means from a performance aspect is that the first face produced a zone of 85.29 square yards of dispersion. By the end, that field was narrowed to 33.89 square yards. That is a massive improvement.

The Max D/Max Fast is designed for players with a slower swing speed (80-90 MPH club speed) and impact is all over from the face, from the low heel to high toe. The Max D/Fast has 10 yards more draw and 2 yards longer. Fitters requested a need for a more draw biased option; 85% of golfers slice the ball, hence the Max D option.
The Max is mid swing speeds, 90-100 MPH, who still want and need forgiveness and find themselves hitting it across the face as well. From Callaway’s internal testing against the Paradym, the Max is 3.3 yards longer and has a 13% tighter downrange dispersion.
The Triple Diamond is for higher swing speed, better players, 105-120 MPH, who are mostly centered.

The Ai face has what Callaway calls Micro deflections, which change the launch and spin and are like mini trampolines that work in the opposite direction to help manage the misses and improve consistency across the face.

Jailbreak has not gone away; it is integrated into the smart face.

The stiffness is in the boundaries of the club and because they were able to save weight by doing this, they were able to use that weight elsewhere.

That is the technical stuff from my notes and memory.

The product presentation and conversation were some of the most interesting parts of the trip. Callaway is excited about Ai Smoke and tour adaption has been quick from what I remember. I have not upgraded every year to Callaway’s newest model; some just have not worked for me. It’s consistently preached here to get fit if possible.

I will post my thoughts from the fitting, photos, and course next.

Last edited:
MicroDeflections..... This is the first time that more criteria were used as constraints in the AI models. With Epic Flash...Ball speed was the focus. In AI Smoke, Spin and Launch are added to Ball speed to be optimized across the face. Then they used the swing code data to generate a down range dispersion ellipse FROM hitting those swing code swings. To optimize the face topography. After 50,000+ face iterations, the dispersion had converged. The result, three unique faces optimized for those unique swing code real golfer swing data.

YES that looks amazing and the micro deflections sound wild. I cannot wait to hit this. Nice write up @Jman and great pics!

Back