McLovin's Journey to Improve

woohoo the good video finally uploaded! and someone sent me this from ty’s insta lol

IMG_0561.jpeg

Great thread. Sorry if I missed it, didn't get all the way through. But what handicap were you when you started?

Great thread. Sorry if I missed it, didn't get all the way through. But what handicap were you when you started?

thanks! iirc it was like 7 or 8 but i don’t recall for sure

EDIT: i went into the 2019 granddaddy as a 7 in december 2019. i know i kept backsliding just before i started the lessons in february 2020. so i think the 7-8 range is accurate.

Last edited:
i told ty i’d been living on the heel with the new drill so he asked for a couple videos

first one i can see my left shoulder going too hard which gets the club too steep in transition. but it still looks better.

View attachment RPReplay_Final1695695284.mov
second one i tried to just let the right shoulder drop down to start transition. still just a tiny bit of reroute that makes the shaft steeper than i’d like, but it was hit really well. even though it looks a little slower than the first video. still good progress in a short amount of time.

View attachment RPReplay_Final1695663812.mov

Last edited:
lesson with ty today. we just worked on a 25-30y pitch from a tight lie. by the end i loved what we were doing. 5k spin with 24y carry and a hop-and-stop on the green.

i had a lot of steepness in my move so we added a ton of shallowness. the main feel ended up being a jason day type backswing, with a small draw and release of the toe.

very positive results.

as an aside, ty gave me a sneak preview of his speed progress for anyone who follows his yt channel. seriously impressive stuff.

I know you are hitting the gym heavily do you feel like that work is starting to change anything in your golf swing?

More flexibility, stability, power, etc? I know when I was hitting the gym multiple times a week I felt my golf swing improved. Over the past 30+ days I've been much more erratic in my gym routine and it's starting to show in my golf swing with both power and stability.

I know you are hitting the gym heavily do you feel like that work is starting to change anything in your golf swing?

More flexibility, stability, power, etc? I know when I was hitting the gym multiple times a week I felt my golf swing improved. Over the past 30+ days I've been much more erratic in my gym routine and it's starting to show in my golf swing with both power and stability.

maybe? i know the last lesson we worked on full swing and ty said my starting speed was where we usually end up after some work, so maybe. i haven’t had time to do any gc3 work recently. i wanted to today, but we had some kid issues and ran out of time. such is life

the fsx pro app keeps crashing so i can’t post any data, but today on the range was interesting. i wasn’t as fast as i wanted to be with 7i, though i could push it and get in the 92-93 range. driver started out at 108, and i recorded a pb club speed of 111 and ball of 163. i think there’s more in the tank, so maybe i can get to 170. that would be cool.

the swing is still not where we want it. granted i’ve spent almost no time practicing. the first move in transition is for the hands to push away from the body. so ty wants to get together in a couple weeks. i’ve been happy with the on course results, though.

after finishing the two large buckets of full swing i spent a lot of time on the practice area hitting chips and pitches. it was a mixed bag for awhile but found something at the and. it was a neutral backswing, then trying to get the club vertical at impact and basically to stop there with no through swing. it was such an easy and repeatable move. i want to spend some time with this. early results were pretty great though.

ty and i got together yesterday. i'll post some videos if he sends them. the purpose of the lesson was for a full swing check-in after videos i sent him, showing some issues with hand path that he didn't love. and he wanted to see how i was doing with short game.

for irons he just wanted to hit 9i first, which was interesting. he said there's a ton of good in what i'm doing, so he said it makes sense that i've been posting some good scores. but he identified that my wrists are working way too much in the takeaway. it's getting the club too far behind me, so the reroute in transition is an effort to find a decent impact position.

he put the ProSENDR on me, and told me to make a backswing without the right wrist touching the ProSENDR to quiet the wrist action. then at the top, he wanted me to just barely touch it, rather than bend the wrists a lot because he said when i overdo the wrists i struggle with path, low point, etc. so, hilariously, the feel yesterday was basically to make my full swing look like it did almost 4 years ago: no wrists at the top. this stupid game... when i did it well, the backswing position at the top looked great, so i'm not trying to revert to where i used to be; it's just a feel thing.

we did the same thing with driver. i'd say it was more of a struggle, but the results were still very good. some drivers were hammered, and while the position at the top feels restricted, the transition feels incredibly easy. so i'm excited to keep working on this.

when we were working with the 9i, ty asked where all this new speed was coming from. he said my 9i was 87mph on trackman, which is actually a little higher than pga tour average. i wasn't going hard at it, either. so it's cool to see all this gym work spilling into my golf game.

for short game, i have been able to take the steepness out of my move, but i've done it by pulling the club way inside. that's nothing new, but it's also not ideal. so he took the ProSENDR ball and placed it a couple feet behind my ball, and wanted me to get the club head moving over (ideally outside) the ProSENDR ball to get the backswing more on plane. this helped a ton, but i was adding too much acceleration through impact. so we lengthened the backswing and shortened the follow-through by basically decelerating through impact. this resulted in a much better ball that popped up nicely with spin, and released gently to the hole.

he said a lot of the death moves i used to have in short game are gone. this explains why my on-course short game hasn't been as bad as it once was, though i'm still not getting up and down very often. hopefully the full swing can hold up next year, and we can make some serious improvement in short game.

for short game, i have been able to take the steepness out of my move, but i've done it by pulling the club way inside. that's nothing new, but it's also not ideal. so he took the ProSENDR ball and placed it a couple feet behind my ball, and wanted me to get the club head moving over (ideally outside) the ProSENDR ball to get the backswing more on plane. this helped a ton, but i was adding too much acceleration through impact. so we lengthened the backswing and shortened the follow-through by basically decelerating through impact. this resulted in a much better ball that popped up nicely with spin, and released gently to the hole.

he said a lot of the death moves i used to have in short game are gone. this explains why my on-course short game hasn't been as bad as it once was, though i'm still not getting up and down very often. hopefully the full swing can hold up next year, and we can make some serious improvement in short game.
Keep pushing! Great seeing you progress.

ty and i got together yesterday. i'll post some videos if he sends them. the purpose of the lesson was for a full swing check-in after videos i sent him, showing some issues with hand path that he didn't love. and he wanted to see how i was doing with short game.

for irons he just wanted to hit 9i first, which was interesting. he said there's a ton of good in what i'm doing, so he said it makes sense that i've been posting some good scores. but he identified that my wrists are working way too much in the takeaway. it's getting the club too far behind me, so the reroute in transition is an effort to find a decent impact position.

he put the ProSENDR on me, and told me to make a backswing without the right wrist touching the ProSENDR to quiet the wrist action. then at the top, he wanted me to just barely touch it, rather than bend the wrists a lot because he said when i overdo the wrists i struggle with path, low point, etc. so, hilariously, the feel yesterday was basically to make my full swing look like it did almost 4 years ago: no wrists at the top. this stupid game... when i did it well, the backswing position at the top looked great, so i'm not trying to revert to where i used to be; it's just a feel thing.

we did the same thing with driver. i'd say it was more of a struggle, but the results were still very good. some drivers were hammered, and while the position at the top feels restricted, the transition feels incredibly easy. so i'm excited to keep working on this.

when we were working with the 9i, ty asked where all this new speed was coming from. he said my 9i was 87mph on trackman, which is actually a little higher than pga tour average. i wasn't going hard at it, either. so it's cool to see all this gym work spilling into my golf game.
Your increase in speed is so freaking impressive.

Your increase in speed is so freaking impressive.

when ty and i started working together it was tough for me to get driver up to 100mph. now when i'm stepping on the gas a bit i can get to 110-111mph. and i'm thinking there's more in there, too. that's fine and all, but what i really like is when my "cruising" speed is faster than my old try-to-kill-it speed. so much of that is just better mechanics and positions.

when ty and i started working together it was tough for me to get driver up to 100mph. now when i'm stepping on the gas a bit i can get to 110-111mph. and i'm thinking there's more in there, too. that's fine and all, but what i really like is when my "cruising" speed is faster than my old try-to-kill-it speed. so much of that is just better mechanics and positions.
If there were somebody here locally like Ty, I would be all over it.

Love this. This is very similar to increase I saw. Right now when I go after it (kill it speed), I'm at 117-118, and cruising at 111-112 on the course. It's made a big difference and hoping to get my cruising speed to my current kill it speed. I'm gonna hit 120 for sure this year.

Love this. This is very similar to increase I saw. Right now when I go after it (kill it speed), I'm at 117-118, and cruising at 111-112 on the course. It's made a big difference and hoping to get my cruising speed to my current kill it speed. I'm gonna hit 120 for sure this year.
that’s amazing!

that video is what we worked on for this basic chip. he placed the prosendr ball a few feet behind the golf ball on the target line. my feel was the take the club a little outside that ball, rather than inside. still feeling a jason day type of backswing with a long right arm and little to no wrist hinge.

the last feel he added at the end was to “turn the engine off” during the downswing. meaning don’t accelerate into the ball. longer backswing than follow through. this is a huge mental hurdle i have, probably the result of years of very poor short game.

i worked on everything this morning and it went spectacularly. not perfection, but so much good and very little bad. i think i’m getting very close to having an understanding of what this is supposed to feel and look like. i’m so pumped about my game right now, probably the most confident i’ve ever been.

that video is what we worked on for this basic chip. he placed the prosendr ball a few feet behind the golf ball on the target line. my feel was the take the club a little outside that ball, rather than inside. still feeling a jason day type of backswing with a long right arm and little to no wrist hinge.

the last feel he added at the end was to “turn the engine off” during the downswing. meaning don’t accelerate into the ball. longer backswing than follow through. this is a huge mental hurdle i have, probably the result of years of very poor short game.

i worked on everything this morning and it went spectacularly. not perfection, but so much good and very little bad. i think i’m getting very close to having an understanding of what this is supposed to feel and look like. i’m so pumped about my game right now, probably the most confident i’ve ever been.
Working on something similar in the short game feels currently. I find I have to focus on the takeaway on short game stuff quite a bit as it feels like miles outside compared to my full swing, but having that "outside" feel on those chips and pitches has made a big difference on contact and spin.

Working on something similar in the short game feels currently. I find I have to focus on the takeaway on short game stuff quite a bit as it feels like miles outside compared to my full swing, but having that "outside" feel on those chips and pitches has made a big difference on contact and spin.
it's crazy how a proper backswing in the short game just makes everything so much easier. it's been a constant battle for me. was too inside and flat so i couldn't get any attack and bladed or chunked everything. then it was too wristy so i was extremely steep and bladed everything. with a proper backswing, i can just let the club fall, rotate through impact and have lots of softness through the hit. golf is so hard lol

it's crazy how a proper backswing in the short game just makes everything so much easier. it's been a constant battle for me. was too inside and flat so i couldn't get any attack and bladed or chunked everything. then it was too wristy so i was extremely steep and bladed everything. with a proper backswing, i can just let the club fall, rotate through impact and have lots of softness through the hit. golf is so hard lol
Couldn't agree more, and everytime I feel like I have something figured out, 2 more pop up that seem to humble me 😂. Keep up the grind my man - things are looking good and it sounds like your getting some wind under your sails here a bit 👊.

Couldn't agree more, and everytime I feel like I have something figured out, 2 more pop up that seem to humble me 😂. Keep up the grind my man - things are looking good and it sounds like your getting some wind under your sails here a bit 👊.
i call it whack-a-mole. you think you have it on the right track, then some other crazy unexpected flaw pops up and you have to pound it into the ground. then another pops up. and another haha

that said, the times i've gone back through this thread from the beginning - all the way back to february 2020 - i realize that we haven't deviated much from the stuff he's wanted me to work on the whole time. he's been working with ian at txg recently, and in one of the recent videos he talked about how long it can take for this stuff to finally settle in. an example he gave is when he works with elite juniors, they work on the same drills 6 days a week for years. that can honestly be a little discouraging for us weekend warriors. when i look at my own journey, it's taken me almost 4 years to finally see some real progress that translates into better scoring. could i have done more? at first, i don't think so. for the first 2-3 years i grinded A LOT. the last 7 or 8 months has been the least i've practiced in a really long time, but i've been working on some fitness stuff which may have been a missing piece all along. who knows???

Back