What are the results of irons that are 2 deg flat

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
I usually use standard lie for irons, but am considering buying a used set of Callaway Apex CF 16 4-GW irons that are 2 degrees flat, but a great price. What ball flight might I expect from them being 2 degrees flat?

You can always get them bent back to standard.

For me it's money as that's what I play. If it's too flat (actually 2* flatter) from what you normally play... your shots could easily target to the right as the toe might catch a little too much imo. Every standard is a bit different.

I usually use standard lie for irons, but am considering buying a used set of Callaway Apex CF 16 4-GW irons that are 2 degrees flat, but a great price. What ball flight might I expect from them being 2 degrees flat?

Were you fit for standard lie irons? Do you know what lie angle you would need? Also - not every company has the same standard lie angle, so 2 degrees flat with one company may actually be more like 1* compared to someone else.

Were you fit for standard lie irons? Do you know what lie angle you would need? Also - not every company has the same standard lie angle, so 2 degrees flat with one company may actually be more like 1* compared to someone else.

This is important. Check the spec sheets.

As for the effect of being 2* flat, the ball will tend to go right more, and turf interaction will change somewhat, compared to standard. But everybody's fit is different. It would be super bad for me, cause I'm fit to 1* upright haha!

I play mine 2* flat and it's what works for me, when it's standard or upright my contact isn't as good.

First thing is to tape the bottom of the irons and swing them and hit a piece of metal I have and see where the mark is on the tape.

cbaker2882, last time I was fitted was a year ago and results were 1 degree flat. I don't think you can tell 1 degree though????

This is what I was going to post also. I play standard in Mizuno but 1 or 2 degrees flat in every other iron set I have owned.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the lie angle determined by both physical characteristics (height, armlength) and also one's swing? I read 2° upright is common for amateurs that are somewhat OTT(?).

First thing is to tape the bottom of the irons and swing them and hit a piece of metal I have and see where the mark is on the tape.

cbaker2882, last time I was fitted was a year ago and results were 1 degree flat. I don't think you can tell 1 degree though????

1 degree, a little. will it make them unplayable? no, and you might not notice much. But as you go up into the longer irons, and the distance goes up, the degree off of difference will multiply.

This is also a really easy thing to have adjusted though. So it shouldn't be a make or break deal on a purchase IMO.

If memory serves from my own fitting, I believe that a flatter lie angle will also make the length of your club, effectively, shorter.

I don't think you can tell 1 degree though????
Oh you can tell. When I was fit into my irons at two degrees flat, it was a night and day difference. But as people have said ... standard lie angles aren't standard between companies so you'll want to check it against what you're currently fit into.

Thanks for the feedback folks. :thumb:

This is important. Check the spec sheets.

As for the effect of being 2* flat, the ball will tend to go right more, and turf interaction will change somewhat, compared to standard. But everybody's fit is different. It would be super bad for me, cause I'm fit to 1* upright haha!

Yup...my Mizunos are flatter than the Wilsons I just ordered from the factory. It's an important thing to note.

What are the results of irons that are 2 deg flat

I suppose your clothes would be crooked or you'd be walking around on a slant :alien:

get it? .....iron? haha

Seems like there's got to be a better way to do this than hit a piece of metal with a golf iron.

Seems like there's got to be a better way to do this than hit a piece of metal with a golf iron.
I don't think it's any different than hitting a 1/4" flat sheet of plastic, like you do at Golf Galaxy. There's tape on the sole of the iron too to help from marking the sole.

Normally irons that are upright will tend to fly left of target, and irons that are flat will trend right of target (assuming standard was ideal). For folks like me with a flat swing, 3* flat is what keeps me out of the left woods :)

You can buy sole stickers on ebay as well to determine lie.

In my case I am 6 feet tall but have long ape arms but short legs so I need my clubs at least 1 degree flat. I do the LW/SW 2 degrees.

Lie angles can vary from one model of irons to the next by the same manufacturer. I learned this years ago when I ordered a set of Mizuno T-Zoid irons 2° flat because that was what I always played, only to find out after I got them that the T-Zoid standard was already 2° flatter than their other sets of irons. Back then I just incorrectly assumed lie angles were somewhat standard.

You can buy sole stickers on ebay as well to determine lie.

In my case I am 6 feet tall but have long ape arms but short legs so I need my clubs at least 1 degree flat. I do the LW/SW 2 degrees.

I'm the same way, almost 6' with long arms and I've always been 1 to 1.5 degrees flat.

I don't think it's any different than hitting a 1/4" flat sheet of plastic, like you do at Golf Galaxy. There's tape on the sole of the iron too to help from marking the sole.

If you don't have anything plastic I would suggest using wood over metal.

To me, lie angles are similar to uneven lies, when compared to level ball lies.

Ball below the feet (toe down flatter) ball will tend to move more right, depending on the loft.

Ball above the feet (toe up, upright) ball will tend to more left, depending on the loft.

Then again, I might be missing something. (?)

Back