EXPERIENCE The 2024 Morgan Cup – Sponsored by Cobra Golf

How many Cuppers have Snakebite X on their card? I know Raw is the new and sexy but the X damned sure gets the job done.
I love the SB-X’s I have. I see no reason not to go with the SB-X in those full swing wedges. Get as much help as possible. I understand the SB as you get closer to the green for touch and specialty shots.

There’s wicked smart and them there’s Yag. He has an ability to make aerodynamics understandable for us. Not bad for a Cyclone. :cool:
Let’s be clear that although our degrees both say Iowa State, the one he went to is completely different than the one I went to. I would have been cleaning bathrooms in the buildings where Yags had class.

How many Cuppers have Snakebite X on their card? I know Raw is the new and sexy but the X damned sure gets the job done.
kevin bacon dancing GIF

The teams did this last year and I found it very interesting, especially as someone not in the event and trying to follow along at home, so I'll take my crack at it on my current thoughts and reasons why:

Driver - Darkspeed LS 9*, paired with a PX HZRDUS Smoke Blue, 60g 6.5 (XS)

For drivers, I have also hit it high and had good amounts of spin. I have been using lower spin versions of driver heads for years now, and they seem to pair well with my game, and do not hurt me in terms of launch or distance due to it. As for X-stiff, I actually originally went XS a few years ago to help with control, which I also play my driver a little short compared to stock these days, and I don't lose anything distance wise based on fittings vs stiff, so I keep with XS. I typically have a driver swing between 107-110 depending on how warmed up I am.

As for why that shaft: I attended the Handcrafted Experience with PX a few years ago through THP, and since then I have been a PX homer. They also just work really well for me, so that doesn't hurt. The Smoke Blue is a shaft for moderate tempo swings, which is what I tend to have, and is a low launch/low spin option which I typically play. It's also counter balanced, which will play a lot like the HZRDUS Yellow's I have played in the past and had really good success with. This will be the reason for the driver and the woods.

3 wood/5 wood - Darkspeed LS, paired with a PX HZRDUS Smoke Blue, 70g 6.5 (XS)

For 3 wood, I went and got fit as I was actually planning to go Darkspeed X with a stiff shaft here, but fitting wise the XS actually worked great, and the LS lost no peak height/descent angle, or grouping, so I will stay with LS for the adjustability that it can provide. The stiff also didn't seem to do much different and I was a bit more controlled with the XS here as well.

For 5 wood, I'm just going to keep it consistent with the 3 wood to have a more consistent step down in my bag. Again, not losing any height and descent angle, which would be very important here because a 5 wood would be going more into greens than a 3 wood might, but the LS was still fantastic at that, and IMO I like the look of at address better.

Hybrid - Darkspeed 4h, paired with the MMT Hybrid 80g, X stiff, -1 inch

This is one that changed a bit after my fitting. I was planning fully to go with the HZRDUS hybrid shaft, but it just didn't pair well in my fitting. I also was going to fully go stiff here, but again with the Darkspeed head (which was loooooooong), the xstiff actually helped with dispersion and again no loss of peak height or descent angle, so it is a no brainer. I am also going to have Cobra chop off an inch of it because it's so long and I am looking for a specific distance range, and with that, the X-stiff will also be softened up a bit naturally.

Over the last few years I've always played a 4 iron, but it was always a chunkier iron compared to my 5-PW, but I am wanting to go hybrid here for more consistency. When I'm swinging well I can launch my 4 iron really well, but I just have better consistency with Hybrids in terms of distance and contact.

Irons - King Tour - 5-GW, $-Taper, Stiff.

Basically just going to go completely stock here. the $-tapers that Cobra is using they are stating a low spin/low launch iron shaft, and that is what I need. And the 120g will work just fine here. Been playing the Srixon 765's for 8 years now, so this is going to be the biggest change for me, but I trust these irons to get me there. Being able to go set GW is huge too, as I love that and really only full swing my GW anyway.

Wedges - Snakebite Raw 54/58 versatile, DG S400

Wedges I am just going to try to mimic my current wedges as much as I can. I have S400's in my current wedges....great, no upcharge option lets do those. Wedge grinds - the 54 is only offered in versatile, but that is what I would have done anyway, and for the 58* I usually get the lowest bounce I can with the most relief as I do some golf shots with that one. Anytime I try anymore bounce on my 58 it just doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Putter - Agera RS-30

For my putter, after trying both out, I wanted to go with the new aluminum insert. In my short time trying them they are very enjoyable, and the PEBAX insert on the vintage line was just too soft for me. Need a little bit of toe hang though based on my putter fittings I've gone through, and usually about 20-30* is perfect, so that is where we are going.

Anyway, this is subject to change obviously (in case something changes and we can't get certain things), but a little insight into what is currently planned.
Thank you for this. I'll write up mine on Sunday, when I have time to go through a fresh look with the latest information.

The teams did this last year and I found it very interesting, especially as someone not in the event and trying to follow along at home, so I'll take my crack at it on my current thoughts and reasons why:

For drivers, I have also hit it high and had good amounts of spin. I have been using lower spin versions of driver heads for years now, and they seem to pair well with my game, and do not hurt me in terms of launch or distance due to it. As for X-stiff, I actually originally went XS a few years ago to help with control, which I also play my driver a little short compared to stock these days, and I don't lose anything distance wise based on fittings vs stiff, so I keep with XS. I typically have a driver swing between 107-110 depending on how warmed up I am.

As for why that shaft: I attended the Handcrafted Experience with PX a few years ago through THP, and since then I have been a PX homer. They also just work really well for me, so that doesn't hurt. The Smoke Blue is a shaft for moderate tempo swings, which is what I tend to have, and is a low launch/low spin option which I typically play. It's also counter balanced, which will play a lot like the HZRDUS Yellow's I have played in the past and had really good success with. This will be the reason for the driver and the woods.

3 wood/5 wood - Darkspeed LS, paired with a PX HZRDUS Smoke Blue, 70g 6.5 (XS)

For 3 wood, I went and got fit as I was actually planning to go Darkspeed X with a stiff shaft here, but fitting wise the XS actually worked great, and the LS lost no peak height/descent angle, or grouping, so I will stay with LS for the adjustability that it can provide. The stiff also didn't seem to do much different and I was a bit more controlled with the XS here as well.

For 5 wood, I'm just going to keep it consistent with the 3 wood to have a more consistent step down in my bag. Again, not losing any height and descent angle, which would be very important here because a 5 wood would be going more into greens than a 3 wood might, but the LS was still fantastic at that, and IMO I like the look of at address better.

Hybrid - Darkspeed 4h, paired with the MMT Hybrid 80g, X stiff, -1 inch

This is one that changed a bit after my fitting. I was planning fully to go with the HZRDUS hybrid shaft, but it just didn't pair well in my fitting. I also was going to fully go stiff here, but again with the Darkspeed head (which was loooooooong), the xstiff actually helped with dispersion and again no loss of peak height or descent angle, so it is a no brainer. I am also going to have Cobra chop off an inch of it because it's so long and I am looking for a specific distance range, and with that, the X-stiff will also be softened up a bit naturally.

Over the last few years I've always played a 4 iron, but it was always a chunkier iron compared to my 5-PW, but I am wanting to go hybrid here for more consistency. When I'm swinging well I can launch my 4 iron really well, but I just have better consistency with Hybrids in terms of distance and contact.

Irons - King Tour - 5-GW, $-Taper, Stiff.

Basically just going to go completely stock here. the $-tapers that Cobra is using they are stating a low spin/low launch iron shaft, and that is what I need. And the 120g will work just fine here. Been playing the Srixon 765's for 8 years now, so this is going to be the biggest change for me, but I trust these irons to get me there. Being able to go set GW is huge too, as I love that and really only full swing my GW anyway.

Wedges - Snakebite Raw 54/58 versatile, DG S400

Wedges I am just going to try to mimic my current wedges as much as I can. I have S400's in my current wedges....great, no upcharge option lets do those. Wedge grinds - the 54 is only offered in versatile, but that is what I would have done anyway, and for the 58* I usually get the lowest bounce I can with the most relief as I do some golf shots with that one. Anytime I try anymore bounce on my 58 it just doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Putter - Agera RS-30

For my putter, after trying both out, I wanted to go with the new aluminum insert. In my short time trying them they are very enjoyable, and the PEBAX insert on the vintage line was just too soft for me. Need a little bit of toe hang though based on my putter fittings I've gone through, and usually about 20-30* is perfect, so that is where we are going.

Anyway, this is subject to change obviously (in case something changes and we can't get certain things), but a little insight into what is currently planned.
Love the insight through every part of the bag...think you have a lot of homerun winners here! Can't wait to see how they treat you

Let’s be clear that although our degrees both say Iowa State, the one he went to is completely different than the one I went to. I would have been cleaning bathrooms in the buildings where Yags had class.
Lots of fluid dynamics goes into flushing toilets

Ah yes of course. H20 and organic waste reclamation engineering 🤣
That could be a side gig to the cat 🐈‍⬛ obedience schools.

He's a Hacker, but the one of the smartest people I've ever met if not the. I truly love that guy and being around both he and Jose. Take advantage while you can.
He was awesome the first night of the 2022 Morgan Cup trip where we all met in Memphis before the tournament. He sat in the hotel lobby with a bunch of us polishing off a cooler full of Coors Light until about 2:00 in the morning. So much knowledge was dropped. That was a fun night!

I think I may go black wedges over raw.
I love the black SB wedge. I really like that it limits the glare from the face if you are aim towards the sun.

Snakebite X will definitely be one if not two of my wedges.

I will not have the X.

IMG_1961.jpeg

🚨 🚨🚨🚨 ANNOUNCEMENT 🚨🚨🚨🚨

Slight change to the available options for GRAPHITE IRON SHAFTS ONLY

Mitsubishi MMT iron shafts are now available for Morgan Cup Participants as an alternative graphite option. This is the ONLY upcharge option available other than no up-charge options already listed. If you try to choose a different graphite option it will be changed by your captain.
To be clear Lord Tox, when it says irons shafts only, does it mean that MMT is not an option for wedges? Just to not f* it up immediately

So listening to Yags and Dan on Off Course yesterday fired me up!

Blue will always be part of Team Paradise!

Palm Trees Summer GIF by haydiroket

@jdtox and Jose….will have the team ready. Kick Hacker Butt!

To be clear Lord Tox, when it says irons shafts only, does it mean that MMT is not an option for wedges? Just to not f* it up immediately
Personally I don’t believe wedges are needed but You can place the order, however I would provide a backup stock option.

Finally got to try the 3D putters today. Major improvement on feel and looks over the last iteration. Looks like I’ll be going with the Agera RS-30.
The new 3D putters are very nice. They look 100x better which hopefully catches the eyes of more golfers

Think my bag is pretty set. Going to search for putters rhis week.

Okay, going through my bag today once more, I think I'm settling into what is pretty damn close to the final version.
Some explanations for how the thinking goes currently:

SlotClub + shaftReasoning
DriverDS LS 10.5* TL / LinQ Blue 6F5 (LinQ Red 7F4 TSPX)I got fitted into the Darkspeed line and had an X turned +1* -0.5" with another shaft. Never hit the LS in the fitting as we were fighting to get spin up. My shot shape is a draw and the miss is a hard hook. My main goal here is to have the kind of Anti-Left club that Lord Tox was talking about last year. I'll start with the club turned +1. Heavy weights in the toe and back.

For the shaft, I have a LinQ Red 7F4 TSPX recommended by Danny Le, but looking forward to trying the Blue 6F5 here too. The reasoning behind the X-Stiff is to gel with my liking for firmer feeling shafts and the bit quick transition I have.
FW #1DS LS 5W / LinQ Blue 6F5The idea with the LS version of the 5W is the same as the driver, make it be anti-left or a milder draw. Also the ability to tweak the flight with the weights is something I like. Mostly used as a secondary tee club, sometimes on long par-5s. The shaft idea is the same as with the driver. Might take half an inch of the shaft on order, in which case the 6F4 might be the choice as that stiffens it up a bit as far as I've understood.
FW #2DS X 7W / LinQ Blue 6F5I've long pondered a high lofted FW and now I have a chance. I like the idea of a great second shot club for Par-4s and -5s or a tee club for long par-3s. Shaft as before. Shaft thoughts the same as in the LS 5W.
HybridDS 5h / MMT Hybrid 80 SGapping into the irons and fairways, going with the new tec DS 5 hybrid. This is also to save my bacon from the inevitable rough shots after not hitting the fairway. Played the King Tec 4h before, so now I want to try the DS.

I have the MMT in my current KT hybrid and really like it there. I treat the hybrid swing as an iron swing, so the same profile shaft as in the irons is what I'm going for. I had a thought of going all UST shafts, but when the MMT's came into play for the irons, I'm thinking of doing that through the line for consistent feel.
IronsKing Tour 6-PW / MMT 85 SI thought for long that I'll surely go with the Darkspeeds. But having hit the King Tours, my mind changed. I'm quite low launch and spin with the irons and that combined with how the LTDx and AJ performed for me, I'm looking to get higher launches and descent angles with increased spin to hold more greens. I don't necessarily look for more distance, although that's not lacking with the King Tours. My first foray into non-GI irons...

The MMT becoming available in the irons is greatly appreciated! I was planning on going all graphite in any case and quite liked the feel of the MMT's when I hit them. Still pondering on 85/105, but current idea is 85.
Wedge #1SB X 50* / MMT 105 S or Recoil ESX 460 SI'm not a great wedge player. Let's get that straight right away. I love the 48 & 52 SB X I currently have. The 50* would likely gap quite well between the irons and the other wedges. Can always change to either direction if needed.

For wedge shafts, I want to go graphite. My hands aren't what they used to and I get achy. The MMT 105's would keep the profile intact from the hybrid to the wedges, but get progressively heavier. If the MMT is not available here (which is fine!), I'd take the Recoils and be very happy.
Wedge #2SB Black 54 Versatile / MMT 105 S or Recoil ESX 460 SThe 54* would be my all around club around the greens, half shots and everything in between. That's why the Versatile grind, to enable this variety in shots. The Black over the Raw, becase the bag will be so black all through the set, that these would fit in aesthetically really well I'd say.

Shafts as before.
Wedge #3SB Black 58 Wide Low / MMT 105 S or Recoil ESX 460 SI currently have the first gen SB 58 WL and like it a lot. Our turf is often quite soft and the WL would be a great companion for the 54V when the circumstances call for it. I've used the 58 a lot from the bunkers and probably would be my main go to club there now as well.

Shafts as before.
PutterAgera RS-30 35" / Stock (likely an All-In later)Rolled pretty much everything in the line-up and the Agera RS-30 was my favourite of the bunch. I have a slightly arcing stroke and the RS-30 would fit the bill. I like the size more than the standard Agera and the insert is more to my taste than the Vintage line Pebax. I have others I could game any day, but the RS-30 is what I'm going with here.

Stock shaft on order, but looking to try it with that or put in an UST All-In shaft later.
GripsGP Tour Velvet Plus4 Black StandardI've gotten used to playing a built up bottom now. I currently play Lamkin ST +2 Calibrate and a MCC Plus4 in the driver. So the Tour Velvet Plus 4 is the closest non-upchgarge that is of that profile.

Back