Is the ball “equipment”..???

Yes it's equipment, you need it to play.

Ok… I know I’m not going to win this debate… but - let’s compare golf to baseball. In baseball (like golf) you have tools or “equipment” to aid you in playing the game. I would consider a glove or a bat… or, even spikes and catchers mask and pads to be “equipment.” I would not consider the ball to be baseball equipment. That’s the way I look at golf. Just my outlook.

yes

The ball is part of the equipment needed to play golf. Bag, balls, and clubs are all pieces of. equipment.

Everything else I consider accessories, since I don't need them to play.

This is my story and Im sticking to it.
I like this.
I’d never thought of it that way.

The ball is absolutely considered equipment.

Definitely! Maybe even the most important piece of equipment.
You use it for every single shot, need it to perform in different ways for different shots, and it can have dramatically different results for people if playing the wrong ball.

Ok… I know I’m not going to win this debate… but - let’s compare golf to baseball. In baseball (like golf) you have tools or “equipment” to aid you in playing the game. I would consider a glove or a bat… or, even spikes and catchers mask and pads to be “equipment.” I would not consider the ball to be baseball equipment. That’s the way I look at golf. Just my outlook.
Not looking to convince, just discuss...

But in baseball, the ball is chosen for you within a standard. You have to manage the standard, just like you have to manage the standard base path.

In golf, you get to choose your ball to suit your game and goals. The ball helps you manage the standard course and hole.

But in baseball, the ball is chosen for you within a standard. You have to manage the standard, just like you have to manage the standard base path.

In golf, you get to choose your ball to suit your game and goals. The ball helps you manage the standard course and hole.
Beat me to it. Golf balls are meant to fit the individual. In most sports the ball is one of the consistent elements that all players use. Only other sport I can think of right now where I'd consider the ball equipment is bowling.

So what category would you classify the ball under, if not equipment?

Yes, of course it is. It's something used to play the game.

Best differing opinion so far. Makes sense.

I do consider the golf ball as equipment. But, as with an in-the-bag listing, from driver down through putter, I'd list my ball of choice last.

However, not last in significance.

For Fyi , yes the golf ball is ,in and is described in the R&A rules of golf
Specifically … equipment .

I consider it equipment and thus choose the best match for my game, typically 😜.

The ball quite honestly might be the most important piece of equipment. Without it you can’t play the game.

100% equipment. Must have a ball to play golf.

As a practical matter, a dominant company like Titeleist can change the meaning of a word by using it over and over again until it sticks.
There are far too many people who need or would like to have some of that advertising money.

Yes, the ball is equipment.

I'd say yes it is. Especially since different balls can have you playing very different rounds.

Ok! With that being said, "you get to choose", just like your clubs, or "equipment", to play this game, a certain ball that fits your game. In baseball, or football, the "ball" is chosen as the standard, for which to play the game, but could be still considered equipment needed to play the game, just that it is not on a personal level. We play against the course, or par, and we choose the best equipment for our game to succeed, ball included. If they gave us golf balls when we show up at the course, having no choice, just a ball, same as everyone else, still would be equipment, because you can't play without it.. Yes, there are accessories, like gloves, tees, but they also "could" be considered equipment, to some, as they are a necessity to a point. You could play without a glove, and also without tees if you choose. We don't think of these items as eqipment, as the sellers have always catagorized them as "accessories". For me the ball is equipment...

Ok! With that being said, "you get to choose", just like your clubs, or "equipment", to play this game, a certain ball that fits your game. In baseball, or football, the "ball" is chosen as the standard, for which to play the game, but could be still considered equipment needed to play the game, just that it is not on a personal level. We play against the course, or par, and we choose the best equipment for our game to succeed, ball included. If they gave us golf balls when we show up at the course, having no choice, just a ball, same as everyone else, still would be equipment, because you can't play without it.. Yes, there are accessories, like gloves, tees, but they also "could" be considered equipment, to some, as they are a necessity to a point. You could play without a glove, and also without tees if you choose. We don't think of these items as eqipment, as the sellers have always catagorized them as "accessories". For me the ball is equipment...
I do agree that the balls in baseball/basketball/football are also equipment

I suppose the ball could be considered an instrument for playing the game and a club is the vehicle to 'play the ball', but not enough coffee in the system yet to think it through.

Essential equipment.

Back