Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

I was really sold on the Chrome Tour at the beginning of the year and like everything about it. I get good distance, spin, and feel. However, all of my best rounds lately have come with the new Chrome Soft. I am just not going to fight it any longer.

I have always liked Chrome Soft, but I love the newest one. I love the softer feel and also seem to get a touch more distance and spin versus the prior Chrome Soft. At this point, when I buy more balls this year, it will be Chrome Soft. I am looking forward to testing it against a Bridgestone RX; that was my favorite ball before Triple Track was introduced.

Last edited:
A bunch of chrome tour are coming to Victoria National with me. Hopefully a bunch make the return to with me! 🤣

Got some more time in with the CT vs the X LS prior to my knee job a couple of weeks ago. Had a significant tear of the meniscus that needed cleaning up (at my age no need to try repair), but doc gave me green light to play with brShace and "listen" to my knee if it told me "no". Further take away from my previous comments on the two:

First: (nothing with the CT vs X LS) When you are worried about screwing up a knee even more, you don't tend to squeeze every long distance iron shot for what you can get, and tend to club up and back off a little on the effort. Well, la ti da, the amazing part of this is the dispersion of the impact across the club face tightens significantly, and wait for it......the club performs better at an easier swing with less effort. Perhaps some of us should have a partner kick us in the knee, put a brace on it and play. Club up adjustment went out the window and played normal clubs and struck the ball better with same/better results. Makes my return more anticipated.

Second: As mentioned earlier, the audible "feel" to the putt is very important to me, and was very concerning with the forced (discontinued) move away from the X LS, which I putted very well. This is with a Guerin Rife Barbados putter (predecessor to the Evenroll today) The CT was not as audible for sure, but I found it enough that I was able to adjust and putt pretty well and with adjustments get this down without too much pain. I had used the CS on my return to golf after over a decade, prior to the X LS and loved the performance until the putter came out. Absolutely no audible feedback and blew everything past the hole by a mile because it felt/sounded like mush but had spring. Not a good combo for me (played the Callaway Tour ix before I stopped years ago, which almost matched the X LS in putter feel. I just picked up a couple sleeves of the CTX to mix in with the CT. I hope I do not like the extra driver/ long iron spin because I am thinking I will like it off the putter face like the X LS.

Third: Overall, for now, the CT seems to be a dang good ball overall. It is a definite improvement over the X LS between the driver and the putter and it's not close. Fairway woods, long irons, mid irons, and wedges....LOVE IT. Driver I still prefer the X LS feel and sound. Putter is close, but not as much difference. Looking forward to putting the CTX in the mix for fun. Think I might play the CTX off the driver and irons, but not putt it for the first trials, because I don't want to be playing a ball I can putt excellently but can't get to the green with well.

Got some more time in with the CT vs the X LS prior to my knee job a couple of weeks ago. Had a significant tear of the meniscus that needed cleaning up (at my age no need to try repair), but doc gave me green light to play with brShace and "listen" to my knee if it told me "no". Further take away from my previous comments on the two:

First: (nothing with the CT vs X LS) When you are worried about screwing up a knee even more, you don't tend to squeeze every long distance iron shot for what you can get, and tend to club up and back off a little on the effort. Well, la ti da, the amazing part of this is the dispersion of the impact across the club face tightens significantly, and wait for it......the club performs better at an easier swing with less effort. Perhaps some of us should have a partner kick us in the knee, put a brace on it and play. Club up adjustment went out the window and played normal clubs and struck the ball better with same/better results. Makes my return more anticipated.

Second: As mentioned earlier, the audible "feel" to the putt is very important to me, and was very concerning with the forced (discontinued) move away from the X LS, which I putted very well. This is with a Guerin Rife Barbados putter (predecessor to the Evenroll today) The CT was not as audible for sure, but I found it enough that I was able to adjust and putt pretty well and with adjustments get this down without too much pain. I had used the CS on my return to golf after over a decade, prior to the X LS and loved the performance until the putter came out. Absolutely no audible feedback and blew everything past the hole by a mile because it felt/sounded like mush but had spring. Not a good combo for me (played the Callaway Tour ix before I stopped years ago, which almost matched the X LS in putter feel. I just picked up a couple sleeves of the CTX to mix in with the CT. I hope I do not like the extra driver/ long iron spin because I am thinking I will like it off the putter face like the X LS.

Third: Overall, for now, the CT seems to be a dang good ball overall. It is a definite improvement over the X LS between the driver and the putter and it's not close. Fairway woods, long irons, mid irons, and wedges....LOVE IT. Driver I still prefer the X LS feel and sound. Putter is close, but not as much difference. Looking forward to putting the CTX in the mix for fun. Think I might play the CTX off the driver and irons, but not putt it for the first trials, because I don't want to be playing a ball I can putt excellently but can't get to the green with well.
That is some great feedback. I agree on the feel off the putter and ball feel/sound. I am the opposite of you where I like the CS because on the CT I constantly leave it a bit short because I think I hit it harder than I really do.

Last year, I was really torn between the CS and CSXLS; there were some performance gains of CSXLS versus CS but I just liked the feel of CS better.

This year, the CS has improved and the CT is better than the CSXLS. I have spent 4 months trying to decide between CT and CS. I am on CS for now but make no guarantee I won’t be back in the CT. Both are great for me and really just comes down to feel/sound and the fact that my scores have been better with CS recently.

That is some great feedback. I agree on the feel off the putter and ball feel/sound. I am the opposite of you where I like the CS because on the CT I constantly leave it a bit short because I think I hit it harder than I really do.

Last year, I was really torn between the CS and CSXLS; there were some performance gains of CSXLS versus CS but I just liked the feel of CS better.

This year, the CS has improved and the CT is better than the CSXLS. I have spent 4 months trying to decide between CT and CS. I am on CS for now but make no guarantee I won’t be back in the CT. Both are great for me and really just comes down to feel/sound and the fact that my scores have been better with CS recently.
It sounds like we're in almost the exact same boat with CS and CT.

Got a chance to try out the Chrome Tour for the first time. I had chosen the ChromeSoft as my golf ball of choice last season and didn’t want to make a switch from something that worked so well for me. But I bought a dozen and really wanted to put it through the paces.

First off the looks: Like the 2024 Chrome Soft they updated the cover with an incredible bright white. So white it’s almost blue. It stands out on the course maybe better than anything I’ve ever seen. Really.
View attachment 9267620

View attachment 9267621

Putting: compared to the CS it feels a little hotter off the club face. It sounds a bit firmer on the putting green. Overall it felt good once I got it onto the course. But even out there it was definitely hotter than the CS. The Chrome Tour is really Really good on lag putts.

Golf ball flight: no launch monitor so it’s all eyeballs and results. The height didn’t seem as high as the CS. Normally I’d chalk it up to maybe not my best contact but it held MUCH firmer on the green with my long irons (7,8,9 are longest in my bag so grain of salt here) so I knew it was solid.
Distance seemed a bit further but because it checked up better it offset the alleged loss of height. It’s hard to describe the difference in those terms between this and the ChromeSoft but I’m gaming the CHrome Tour next week for 18.
Feel free to ask any questions ( it might help me explain this a bit better as well).
I will be comparing the CS and CT this season. I’m just playing through some older CS right now. Interested in seeing your results and seeing how the CT performed for you.

Picked up a dozen Chrome Tour Triple Track today and hoping to put them in play over the next few days whilst away on a short golf break

The Chrome Tour has been so good, but I’m going to put the new Chrome Soft in play tomorrow for the comparison.

Back