The 60 and over Thread

I did the closed stance thing for a while, then, one day, my left hip popped in the follow through. Bursitis! That was a painful 3-4 weeks healing. Of course I kept reinsuring it. What I’ve worked on I is squaring up my stance and opening up my feet so my toes are pointing out. I’ve worked a lot on flexibility quite a lot and I make a pretty good turn for my age. There are a few guys my age who can hit it farther than I, but not many. I’m hitting my irons 10-1t yards farther than last year too. I need to keep working on flexibility and strength, especially core strength, and lose some weight.i can’t beat Father Time, but I might be able to hold him off a while.
You’re like the Energizer bunny, Mike. I get tired just reading about how you pack into each day. 😉

I did the closed stance thing for a while, then, one day, my left hip popped in the follow through. Bursitis! That was a painful 3-4 weeks healing. Of course I kept reinsuring it. What I’ve worked on I is squaring up my stance and opening up my feet so my toes are pointing out. I’ve worked a lot on flexibility quite a lot and I make a pretty good turn for my age. There are a few guys my age who can hit it farther than I, but not many. I’m hitting my irons 10-1t yards farther than last year too. I need to keep working on flexibility and strength, especially core strength, and lose some weight.i can’t beat Father Time, but I might be able to hold him off a while.
It'd be nice to be able to Bribe Father Time. 😉

Heading out solo. Kid is studying for finals. All my buds are busy or went out early this morning, which I couldn't. I hate playing solo any more, I lose too many balls. The old eyes aren't what they used to be. Tomorrow morn its an 0700 with my Sunday regulars at a favorite course of mine. L and T shaped tiered greens means good approaches pay off. If you dont have a good angle on some par 4's often a layup to a wedge from the proper direction is a better play that hit and pray and ending up short sided on these devilish greens.

So I was telling @SC Putter the other night about a couple 250 yard drives I hit on Thursday (where that speed came from, I have no idea…) and naturally I went out there today trying to duplicate them.
The first hole I swung out of my shoes, and hit one about 235. The 2nd was a short 125 yard par 3, so just a 9 iron. The 3rd is a par 5 and I went all out. Hit it horribly, and felt a twinge in my hip that felt worse after my second shot ( which I actually hit well) I got out of the cart and walked up to my ball which was about 30 yards short of the green and I knew something was wrong.
I hit an easy pitch shot,but felt a shooting pain as soon as I turned my hip slightly. I could barely stand. It took me a minute to get to the cart, but I was done. The ranger drove me to my car, and I’m home icing it. I can deal with soreness, and I know this is gonna be a b*tch for a few days, but I’m hoping it’s only muscular.
I dislocated my right hip about 15 years ago, and I’ve been incredibly lucky. The doc who popped it back in place (10 weeks recovery) told me I’d probably need a replacement in 5 years and this is the same hip. Aside from some minor arthritic issues I’ve been fine. Until today.
Hopefully this isn’t going to become an issue.

So I was telling @SC Putter the other night about a couple 250 yard drives I hit on Thursday (where that speed came from, I have no idea…) and naturally I went out there today trying to duplicate them.
The first hole I swung out of my shoes, and hit one about 235. The 2nd was a short 125 yard par 3, so just a 9 iron. The 3rd is a par 5 and I went all out. Hit it horribly, and felt a twinge in my hip that felt worse after my second shot ( which I actually hit well) I got out of the cart and walked up to my ball which was about 30 yards short of the green and I knew something was wrong.
I hit an easy pitch shot,but felt a shooting pain as soon as I turned my hip slightly. I could barely stand. It took me a minute to get to the cart, but I was done. The ranger drove me to my car, and I’m home icing it. I can deal with soreness, and I know this is gonna be a b*tch for a few days, but I’m hoping it’s only muscular.
I dislocated my right hip about 15 years ago, and I’ve been incredibly lucky. The doc who popped it back in place (10 weeks recovery) told me I’d probably need a replacement in 5 years and this is the same hip. Aside from some minor arthritic issues I’ve been fine. Until today.
Best wishes. That really sucks.

Sorry to hear that John and I hope it's just a muscular injury. Keep the ice going and maybe check to see if you should alternate with some heat as well. I have heard that works for some injuries but personally I'm an ice guy for localized pain. Maybe you will see some relief in a couple of days and after some at home treatment. Still sucks though.

Outside of my double knee replacements 9 years ago I have been lucky. But hip pain wakes me up most night on left side and I have to turn over for relief. I'm sure it's arthritis (same as my knees) surgeon told me those were the worst knees he had seen in his years of practice. He should see my golf game :ROFLMAO:. I'm sure at some point I will have to deal with it. No problems walking or getting up and down, steps etc. Just pressure point when sleeping.

Back to you. Just take some otc meds along with the ice and hopefully it will recover quickly. The fact that you had to stop your round sounds serious but at least you were smart to do so. You know your body.

It rained here today and I am bored out of mind. Looks like rain for the next couple of days.

Btw--if you're hitting 9 iron 125 that is da*n good. Longer than me my friend. Have a good cocktail and relax my friend. Take care.

Hope like you it's muscular and you get better.

Sorry to hear that John and I hope it's just a muscular injury. Keep the ice going and maybe check to see if you should alternate with some heat as well. I have heard that works for some injuries but personally I'm an ice guy for localized pain. Maybe you will see some relief in a couple of days and after some at home treatment. Still sucks though.

Outside of my double knee replacements 9 years ago I have been lucky. But hip pain wakes me up most night on left side and I have to turn over for relief. I'm sure it's arthritis (same as my knees) surgeon told me those were the worst knees he had seen in his years of practice. He should see my golf game :ROFLMAO:. I'm sure at some point I will have to deal with it. No problems walking or getting up and down, steps etc. Just pressure point when sleeping.

Back to you. Just take some otc meds along with the ice and hopefully it will recover quickly. The fact that you had to stop your round sounds serious but at least you were smart to do so. You know your body.

It rained here today and I am bored out of mind. Looks like rain for the next couple of days.

Btw--if you're hitting 9 iron 125 that is da*n good. Longer than me my friend. Have a good cocktail and relax my friend. Take care.
With all I had going on up North recently, I hadn’t played for weeks and when I got back down here my back felt really good. I’ve played 6 rounds in two weeks and for some reason I began hitting the ball further.
After a few putting mishaps on Thursday, I really let the flaps down and it went even further.
Being an idiot, I showed up at the last minute today for an 1144 tee time. No warmup or stretch and from the first tee I was swinging out of my shoes.
You would think a 69yo with a bad back would know better… but stupid is as stupid does. 🤷‍♂️

Now I feel kind of bad saying this after Grand Strandeds issues.
I got squared away again, and boy how. I was playing from the tips today because the course isn't really that long, and I was alone and wanted to do longer approaches, and the course wasn't busy. 3rd hole is a 556 par 5 that doglegs around a long pond. I was in a "who cares" mood so I teed up a Callaway Warbird , strengthened the grip a tad and let it rip. I pulled it a bit left of where I was trying to, needing a lot more carry than I wanted, but it cleared the water easily, turning over and up the fairway. 2nd shot was 228 to the center. 19* hybrid got there, just barely in the rough on the left side of the green maybe 7 yards below the pin. a poor, semi skulled chip with the A wedge smacked into the pin and somehow dropped. Obviously cutting over the pond shortens the hole considerably, but still, to the best I can figure on Google Earth the drive carried 255-260., 275-280 total. Thats murdered for me. On a number of the short par 4's, hitting the 19* Hybrid off the tee I was having little wedges into the greens all from the tight fairways. This warm weather is agreeing with me.

With all I had going on up North recently, I hadn’t played for weeks and when I got back down here my back felt really good. I’ve played 6 rounds in two weeks and for some reason I began hitting the ball further.
After a few putting mishaps on Thursday, I really let the flaps down and it went even further.
Being an idiot, I showed up at the last minute today for an 1144 tee time. No warmup or stretch and from the first tee I was swinging out of my shoes.
You would think a 69yo with a bad back would know better… but stupid is as stupid does. 🤷‍♂️
One of my biggest shortcomings. Stick a tee in the ground and let's go. Problem is I'm usually down the middle on the first hole because I'm not swinging hard. :unsure:

Did the same last year, but, like a dummy, I played through it. Turned out to be bursitis in my case. Your issue sounds a bit more serious. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

One of my biggest shortcomings. Stick a tee in the ground and let's go. Problem is I'm usually down the middle on the first hole because I'm not swinging hard. :unsure:
Yep, same here… my “warmup” is 3 or 4 air swings on the first tee, then I ease my way into the round.
Thursday made me think I’m a bomber though, and it was full speed ahead from the jump today. 🙄

Played again today in the club’s MGA. Looks like we finished 2nd, $12 in script woot woot. 125 9 iron at my age is a pretty good 9. I did hit one 130 yesterday, but it was a flier lie in the with a slight trailing wind. I normally figure I can get 115-120 carry with a 9 iron. My gaps are pretty good through my irons with the gap between my 6 and 7 iron a little tighter than the rest. The gaps with the hybrids are pretty OK. I feel like I have clubs I can play from 190-200 in in the fairway. Rough is another story. 8 fairways, 9 GIR, 31 putts, 40-38 78

Played again today in the club’s MGA. Looks like we finished 2nd, $12 in script woot woot. 125 9 iron at my age is a pretty good 9. I did hit one 130 yesterday, but it was a flier lie in the with a slight trailing wind. I normally figure I can get 115-120 carry with a 9 iron. My gaps are pretty good through my irons with the gap between my 6 and 7 iron a little tighter than the rest. The gaps with the hybrids are pretty OK. I feel like I have clubs I can play from 190-200 in in the fairway. Rough is another story. 8 fairways, 9 GIR, 31 putts, 40-38 78
I’m curious, you and I are about the same as far as our yardages. Do you get more from an iron when you tee a ball up on a par 3? I do.
(No idea why, other than I’m probably not making proper contact off turf?)

I’m curious, you and I are about the same as far as our yardages. Do you get more from an iron when you tee a ball up on a par 3? I do.
Usually its because off the tee you are hitting the ball higher on the club face and getting less spin. Like an flier without the grass and moisture.

Our minds are still in the 80s, whereas our Bodies...

Well maybe. I think maybe a little more, but, IMNSHO, I think it has to do how you hit strike the ball when it’s on a tee versus on the turf. I noticed the pros tend to hit the ball and have the divot start about nearly an inch in front of the tee. Doing that Delofting the club a little and adds a bit of distance. However, I think with our swing speeds if not as pronounced.

Well maybe. I think maybe a little more, but, IMNSHO, I think it has to do how you hit strike the ball when it’s on a tee versus on the turf. I noticed the pros tend to hit the ball and have the divot start about nearly an inch in front of the tee. Doing that Delofting the club a little and adds a bit of distance. However, I think with our swing speeds if not as pronounced.
Exactly. With High Def and great Camera work on Networks part I love to look at strike locations, including Sand Traps. So many diff types of Sand at diff Tournaments, I get to see how Pros play heavy Sand vs Fluff. 3 Woods are another fun one, do they Sweep across the Turf or take small Divot after the Ball for diff flight.

I retired today. I’m glad that’s over with!! Maybe I can play a little golf now!!
Congratulations. I wish you the best in retirement and please enjoy more golf!

Got out in my Saturday morning league yesterday. Won my match, not sure about the team as I was playing solo. I really didn't feel like hanging around to find out. Being up 1 with 2 to go both opponents hit wayward drives on a 302 yard par 4. I re-engaged my brain after the previous hole's brain fart and put the driver back in the bag and took the hyway out and split the fairway, wedge to green, two putts and closed out the match. Probably the best ball striking outing of the season for me. Putiing is still a bit wonky as I've gone back to a traditional putter from a arm lock. Back and hip felt great and went for a jog when I got home. Have a great Sunday!

I retired today. I’m glad that’s over with!! Maybe I can play a little golf now!!
Congratulations! I was fortunate to get out early back at the end of 2017. By far, one of the best decisions I ever made. After years of being tied to an Outlook calendar booked solid for 12 hours a day in 5 minute increments, I relish having no agenda whatsoever, other than appointments of my own making, like tee times or flights. From my perspective, any day in retirement is better than the best day at work!

Go enjoy the best stage of your life!

Back