Shot Scope X5 Watch

Lot of buyers remorse 1 year out. Sick and tired of always having trouble connecting to my phone to sync my rounds....

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Lot of buyers remorse 1 year out. Sick and tired of always having trouble connecting to my phone to sync my rounds....

I have had that issue in the past. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, fixed the problem for the most part.

Another thing that can affect it, if you have any other blue-tooth device connected to the phone, it will not connect to the X5.

I have had that issue in the past. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, fixed the problem for the most part.

Another thing that can affect it, if you have any other blue-tooth device connected to the phone, it will not connect to the X5.
Factory reset fixes it but shouldn't have to weekly. Also the app is near useless for editing

Accidentally clicked “yes” on the scoring feature yesterday and was about to tee off so I just rolled with it. It was pretty accurate, only missing two shots, and I like the vibrate for pin collect and scoring confirmation. Appreciate the advice on the glove cuff from whoever gave that - it’s been much better since I’ve started angling the Velcro and hasn’t entered that force reset mode since. So far so good this season. Quick question for everybody - do you tag your wedges that are shorter than a full swing as a positional shot?

do you tag your wedges that are shorter than a full swing as a positional shot?
The only shots I mark as "positional" are when I am just putting a ball back in play after a regrettably bad shot, or layups on par 5s if I wasn't going for the green. If I started considering other shots to be marked positional, I might have to start considering shots into and with the wind because they aren't representative of my distances under normal conditions, uphill and downhill shots, etc. for the same reason. The algorithm for P-AVG removes all the outliers at both ends, and everything else, I figure, evens out in the end.

Results like this just don’t make it worth it.
Same clubs each time? Different clubs? Anything remarkable about the shots missed? Choked down? Practice swings taken? About the only shots my X5 is missing is when I get too quick using Manual putting mode and go to account for my tap-in and miss and mark the hole location too soon. Otherwise, my uploaded round agrees with the scorecard I keep.

iPhone or Android? I know they have had lots of issues with the Android app, I think there is even a recent update for it. I used to have to try multiple times to connect my X5 to the app on my iPhone. I signed out of the app, deleted it, went into mu Bluetooth settings and "forgot" the X5. I then downloaded the app again, signed in, and re-paired the watch through the app, and it has connected to the app first time every time every time since.

Same clubs each time? Different clubs? Anything remarkable about the shots missed? Choked down? Practice swings taken? About the only shots my X5 is missing is when I get too quick using Manual putting mode and go to account for my tap-in and miss and mark the hole location too soon. Otherwise, my uploaded round agrees with the scorecard I keep.
Same Clubs? No, different clubs.
Nothing remarkable about the shots missed.
Did not choke down
Two practice swings taken.
Missed 12 shots today
IMG_2307.jpeg

Same Clubs? No, different clubs.
Nothing remarkable about the shots missed.
Did not choke down
Two practice swings taken.
Missed 12 shots today
I assume you've tried the factory reset?

Factory reset fixes it but shouldn't have to weekly. Also the app is near useless for editing

I've never tried to use the app for editing because I've heard it's pretty useless. I only use my laptop.

I don't know what else to suggest other than check your tags for wear, and maybe check to make sure the screws holding the watchband aren't loose at all. I would find, more with the V3, that they could be a little loose at times and if that top strap isn't making good electrical contact because it is loose, recognizing tags could become erratic. And out of curiosity, not that it should make a difference, do you use it locked or unlocked?

It's been a long time since using this...wow what and enjoyable experience(other than forgetting to fully charge and battery dying at 15th hole) it's on me other than why does a pixel /Apple watch last sooo much longer?

Had some real cookey stuff during todays round, including a club used that hasn’t been in my bag for months, wrong clubs registered and shots played from people’s back gardens rather than the middle of the fairway.

iPhone or Android? I know they have had lots of issues with the Android app, I think there is even a recent update for it. I used to have to try multiple times to connect my X5 to the app on my iPhone. I signed out of the app, deleted it, went into mu Bluetooth settings and "forgot" the X5. I then downloaded the app again, signed in, and re-paired the watch through the app, and it has connected to the app first time every time every time since.
Android

They really should fix the app. It ruins the experience when it takes 13 tries and factory resetting the watch to get it to connect just to synced the rounds pmayed. And I used to be able to edit on phone but not it bogs down and can't really do it.

Last edited:
Played my first 18 hole round with the X5 today. No issues on the course, which was refreshing - and I finally got in the habit of marking the pin location and checking the score at the end of each hole. (Might move to manual putting now that I've proven to myself I can remember to do things.) Only missed one shot, which was near the forward tee box after a very poor tee shot. Then, of course, had syncing issues and app shut down mid-sync. Had to restart my phone and the watch to get it to sync again successfully (Android). This seems to be a huge pain point for so many people - and I don't love sitting in my hot car waiting to turn it on because of the Bluetooth issues. Hope it can be addressed.

FEATURE REQUEST - If anyone from Shotscope is here. On the new hole view, it has the distance in the middle of the arc. But this frequently blocks the view of what you are trying to view the distance to (such as a bunker or a creek). Maybe the distance could be shown on the side of the arc or in a static location at the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the hole view.

Haven't used my X5 in like 8 months for tracking, so trying to update etc.
For the life of me, when I need it to connect, it never does. Firmware update wouldn't work, then would never connect afterwards.

For simplicity, I miss my V3 so much. Never had any issues with it at all.

Depending how this season goes, this may be my last with the X5. I love the actual tracking, but overall I hate the whole connecting/firmware issues that I keep having.

FFS, I finally get it to update firmware.
10 minutes of trying after that, can't get it to connect.

Getting so tired of this.

I was initially excited to take advantage of all the upgrades and features of the X5. Shotscopes customer support is responsive to issues with the watch and implementation of requested upgrades. The recurrent issues with the watch make it too frustrating to deal with just to play a round of golf. When you are out on the course in the middle of round and have problems the hassle is just not worth it. I don't know the solution but as someone stated earlier, the V3 was pretty reliable and a no brainer for distance measurement.

FFS, I finally get it to update firmware.
10 minutes of trying after that, can't get it to connect.

Getting so tired of this.
Uninstall the app, reinstall and connect the watch again. That's what worked for me.

I've had 2 X5s, ad 2 cable, and the thing will not hold a charge. I had it on the charger from Saturday until last night at 10 pm, and there was 0% charge. Both watches had the same issue. I've done firmware resets/downloads multiple times, all as closely following the directions as I could. I've been corresponding with SS, and I give them kudos for their efforts (shout out to Lee), but, I'm out of my money back refund window, and don't know if another device replacing my current one will have any better performance.

To be honest, it seems like they added a bunch of functions at the price of reliable performance.

Is the V5 any better at reliability?

Question for long time X5 users, I am trading a used putter to a friend for a new unopened X5 watch. I am not going to use the shot tracking (sensors) feature of the watch, all I am looking at it for is the on-course experience, accuracy to hole (F-M-B), distances to hazards and scoring on watch. My question is, should I just sell the watch unopened and get a V5 or will the X5 in its simplistic role provide a hassle free experience. I have a very old Garmin Approach S6 which works but am finding the accuracy of distances is off.

I would like to get a clearer screen, etc. but don't want a lot of hassle. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Question for long time X5 users, I am trading a used putter to a friend for a new unopened X5 watch. I am not going to use the shot tracking (sensors) feature of the watch, all I am looking at it for is the on-course experience, accuracy to hole (F-M-B), distances to hazards and scoring on watch. My question is, should I just sell the watch unopened and get a V5 or will the X5 in its simplistic role provide a hassle free experience. I have a very old Garmin Approach S6 which works but am finding the accuracy of distances is off.

I would like to get a clearer screen, etc. but don't want a lot of hassle. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.
The main difference in functionality between V5 and X5 is the V5 is navigated exclusively with buttons where the X5 is navigated with the touch screen and/or scroll wheel. I believe on the X5 there are some features that require the touchscreen but not 100%.

How important are hole maps to you? If you're ok with not having them, the G5 might be a better option.

The main difference in functionality between V5 and X5 is the V5 is navigated exclusively with buttons where the X5 is navigated with the touch screen and/or scroll wheel. I believe on the X5 there are some features that require the touchscreen but not 100%.

How important are hole maps to you? If you're ok with not having them, the G5 might be a better option.

I do like the hole maps but not essential as I do find them very small anyway. As I mentioned, I am just looking for a good quality, high accuracy GPS watch. I am not going to use the club tags, and the shot tracking that go along with them.

Back