Golfshot Swing ID

Yea I hear you, but I literally turned every single thing on I could find. Its all on.

I will try that next time. I was swiping right and left multiple times a lot during the round for various reasons, but somehow I never found swingID that way, but I will try again next time.

Thank you I will try that.

I guess so, but my god it was taking a lot of attention from me. I didn't have the experience with V1game at all...it was totall painless and easy. so far I have found GolfShot to be extremely overwhelming and it still ended up missing some of my shots and scores and was seriously distracting me. I do intend to use it for more rounds to see if I can figure it out better.

Yes I was doing that it takes at least 5 times as many strokes to complete the hole scoring compared to v1game. Also v1game uses the score I enter and putts to make some guesses about missed shots and add those by looking back the breadcrumb data and its extremely good at figuring out where I probably mode those shots that may not have tracked, but still when i enter the score it knows something is missing and makes an earnest attempt to figure it out..plus with the breadcrumbs its been extremely easy after the round to correct any slight mistakes in shot tracking. i feel like golfShot sometimes got it and sometimes didn't and I had no idea shots were missed until after the round was over and too late to remember what got missed. Plus some scores got missed, I have no idea why because attempted to enter and save the score to every hole.

manula shot tracking is no go for me. Not interested. Either auto tracking has to work better or I won't bother tracking them. LIke I said, I will keep using the app in more rounds to see how it goes. It has so far been far more troublesome then v1game. It has other advantages so that's why I'm trying it.

yes I did

editing a round after I am done is not really possible for me my memory is just not good enough. With v1game because it has both the breadcrumbs as well as AI to figure out where I probably made shots...it's extremely easy to do that. However, it hardly ever misses shots in the end. Mostly I just have to go in and tweak which ones are chips around the green, which are penalty and where the penalties where, flag some as recovery shots, etc.

one nice thing about GolfShot is that its taking a pretty good guess at which club I probably used...so I often don't have to change the club as I'm walking to the ball. Sometimes I did, but often not. V1game has not been very good at guessing that so I almost always have to say which club I used to make the shot, right after you hit it, the screen goes to the place and you select the club. Sometimes it's right, sometimes I have to change it. With GolfShot...it seems right more often and you don't have to even confirm it as long as it's right, you're already good to go. So that aspect is possibly easier then v1game. But when shots get missed, I think v1game is way smarter.

the docs say that golfshot smart caddie takes wind and elevation into consideration. But I agree, I can find no information on any screen about that. V1game does tell you the wind and if you use the virtual caddie it will advise accordingly. I am not sure if it handles elevation, probably not.

It showed me the basic stats and i'm definitely looking forward to investigating my data in this area. I just can't get the advanced wrist data showing up yet for some reason.
Funny I never heard of V1 or Roundabout before and I thought I tried them all.

Sounds like V1 is the closest thing to Golfshot just without Swing ID.

I'm going give V1 a try today and compare the 2 myself.

I'm really wishing that Shotscope will make their connex sensors available for the Apple Watch. I doubt it will happen as it probably eat into their watch sales.

The way I see it v1game and Golfshot each have pros and cons. I think they are currently the two standout apps that do auto shot tracking without sensors. Also they do strokes gained analysis. A couple other apps do that also but without auto shot tracking. And of course there is shot scope and arccos is if you’re willing tibiar sensors.

Golfshot has swingid as a standout unique feature. It’s also considerably cheaper subscription, especially for me since i paid for Golfshot plus years ago. Well that’s if you use the eagle subscription of v1, which I am. Birdie edition is probably about same price as Golfshot.

Other things I like in Golfshot: the AR feature is cool but I have never used it. Layup lines are cool. Flyovers are cool even though I never use that. It can post directly to ghin which is a time saver. Distance to hazards shown on the phone and watch.

What I don’t like is that it requires more clicking and selecting throughout the round then v1 and I have personally found it to be a bit more flakey when shots are missed compared to v1. But I am going to use it a few more weeks to get better with it

I don’t like the artist rendering of the course instead of satélite images. It is missing wind and elevation information also.

V1 has better auto tracking, has breadcrumbs to easily trace every step you make during the round and makes Ai predictions at places where it thinks you made a shot. But at the end of each hole you make about three clicks to choose score, putts and first putt distance and it uses AI to figure out if a shot wasn’t tracked and inserts it, which sometimes you may need to edit at that end of the round to the precise spot but it’s easy with the breadcrumbs.

Also you can mark some shots as recovery (red) rather then assign a club. And you can mark some as penalty. This leaves the round review with an actual trace on the map of where you hit the ball into a hazard or lost area approximately and you see clearly where you dropped the ball. Recovery shots are like when you have to pitch out from under a tree. You don't want that included in club averages, for example and also it factors this into the strokes gained analysis for the previous shot that ended you up under a tree.

It uses satellite imagery, which I prefer.

another really cool feature, when you're playing a hole, on the phone it will show a dot on the map for where the drive shot landed for every other time you ever played that hole in the past. The dots are color coded to indicate if you par'd it, bogey'd, double, etc. I'm still learning about the virtual caddie features that show up on the phone when you're actually playing, I prefer not to pull the phone out unless I need to do more shot planning then is possible with the watch, a few times per round maybe.

The reports in v1 are where it really shines compared to Golfshot. Way way better reports of your strokes gained, club data, proximity graphs, etc.. if you get the eagle edition then you get virtual caddie and virtual coaching which basically just report the specific areas where you are losing strokes the most in fairly comprehensive reports and specifically keeps track of "errors", how many errors per round, where the errors were and in what area of golf (ie, putting, short game, approaching, driving, etc), and what your potential scoring could be if you addressed those most common errors. It does also show wind speed and direction and also when you review a round it will show what the wind was at the time you made every shot. No elevation info though. When you review a round later you can look at every single shot and see the strokes gained of it and other data besides just which club and distance.

What I don’t like, the eagle edition is pricey, a few things can’t be done easily from the watch such as distance to hazards, which actually isn’t in the phone either. No layup lines either. Entering the distance to all putts can’t be done on the watch only the first putt, as far as I can find. If you want precise strokes gained on putting you have to go into the phone after the hole and edit the putt distances. Wish they would fix that. There might be a way with the watch I’m not aware of yet in which case the default method is much quicker to enter then Golfshot.

So basically I think it’s a toss up, they each have pros and cons. But Golfshot does have SwingID which is total standout feature compared to all other GPS apps bar none. I'm subscribing to both this year and will switch back and forth until I decide which I prefer. Kind of leaning towards v1 game for the game analysis and auto tracking, but to GolfShot for the layup lines and SwingID.

Last edited:
The way I see it v1game and Golfshot each have pros and cons. I think they are currently the two standout apps that do auto shot tracking without sensors. Also they do strokes gained analysis. A couple other apps do that also but without auto shot tracking. And of course there is shot scope and arccos is if you’re willing tibiar sensors.

Golfshot has swingid as a standout unique feature. It’s also considerably cheaper subscription, especially for me since i paid for Golfshot plus years ago. Well that’s if you use the eagle subscription of v1, which I am. Birdie edition is probably about same price as Golfshot.

Other things I like in Golfshot: the AR feature is cool but I have never used it. Layup lines are cool. Flyovers are cool even though I never use that. It can post directly to ghin which is a time saver. Distance to hazards shown on the phone and watch.

What I don’t like is that it requires more clicking and selecting throughout the round then v1 and I have personally found it to be a bit more flakey when shots are missed compared to v1. But I am going to use it a few more weeks to get better with it

I don’t like the artist rendering of the course instead of satélite images. It is missing wind and elevation information also.

V1 has better auto tracking, has breadcrumbs to easily trace every step you make during the round and makes Ai predictions at places where it thinks you made a shot. But at the end of each hole you make about three clicks to choose score, putts and first putt distance and it uses AI to figure out if a shot wasn’t tracked and inserts it, which sometimes you may need to edit at that end of the round to the precise spot but it’s easy with the breadcrumbs.

Also you can mark some shots as recovery (red) rather then assign a club. And you can mark some as penalty. This leaves the round review with an actual trace on the map of where you hit the ball into a hazard or lost area approximately and you see clearly where you dropped the ball. Recovery shots are like when you have to pitch out from under a tree. You don't want that included in club averages, for example and also it factors this into the strokes gained analysis for the previous shot that ended you up under a tree.

It uses satellite imagery, which I prefer.

another really cool feature, when you're playing a hole, on the phone it will show a dot on the map for where the drive shot landed for every other time you ever played that hole in the past. The dots are color coded to indicate if you par'd it, bogey'd, double, etc. I'm still learning about the virtual caddie features that show up on the phone when you're actually playing, I prefer not to pull the phone out unless I need to do more shot planning then is possible with the watch, a few times per round maybe.

The reports in v1 are where it really shines compared to Golfshot. Way way better reports of your strokes gained, club data, proximity graphs, etc.. if you get the eagle edition then you get virtual caddie and virtual coaching which basically just report the specific areas where you are losing strokes the most in fairly comprehensive reports and specifically keeps track of "errors", how many errors per round, where the errors were and in what area of golf (ie, putting, short game, approaching, driving, etc), and what your potential scoring could be if you addressed those most common errors. It does also show wind speed and direction and also when you review a round it will show what the wind was at the time you made every shot. No elevation info though. When you review a round later you can look at every single shot and see the strokes gained of it and other data besides just which club and distance.

What I don’t like, the eagle edition is pricey, a few things can’t be done easily from the watch such as distance to hazards, which actually isn’t in the phone either. No layup lines either. Entering the distance to all putts can’t be done on the watch only the first putt, as far as I can find. If you want precise strokes gained on putting you have to go into the phone after the hole and edit the putt distances. Wish they would fix that. There might be a way with the watch I’m not aware of yet in which case the default method is much quicker to enter then Golfshot.

So basically I think it’s a toss up, they each have pros and cons. But Golfshot does have SwingID which is total standout feature compared to all other GPS apps bar none. I'm subscribing to both this year and will switch back and forth until I decide which I prefer. Kind of leaning towards v1 game for the game analysis and auto tracking, but to GolfShot for the layup lines and SwingID.
Yeah, I forgot about AR, it's a neat feature.

I didn't use the V1 today because I was playing a new course but this is my battery, I put the watch on at about 9 am played from 12:30-5, and got home at 7 pm.

The low-power mode helps tremendously and it turns itself off automatically the next day.

IMG_1807.jpeg

so one thing I read on golfshot support site last night is that if you carry your phone in your pocket you can turn off the watch's GPS and it will use the GPS of the phone instead...which apparantly can really save some battery life. I have gotten used to just keeping my phone in my pocket. what exactly does low power mode turn off?

Can you do watch low power mode if you want swing if for swings?

so one thing I read on golfshot support site last night is that if you carry your phone in your pocket you can turn off the watch's GPS and it will use the GPS of the phone instead...which apparantly can really save some battery life. I have gotten used to just keeping my phone in my pocket. what exactly does low power mode turn off?

What does apple watch low power mode turn off​

Apple Watch Low Power Mode turns off several features to conserve battery life. Some of these features include:
  • Always-on display: The always-on display is disabled, which means the watch screen will turn off after a short period of inactivity.
  • Background heart rate monitoring: This feature is disabled, which means the watch will no longer continuously monitor your heart rate in the background.
  • Blood oxygen readings: For Apple Watch Series 6 and newer, blood oxygen readings are also disabled.
  • Automatic workout tracking: Automatic workout tracking is disabled for eligible exercise types.
  • Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity: When you’re in Low Power Mode without your iPhone nearby, Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity are turned off to conserve battery life. This means that apps that require a data connection may not work properly.
  • Missed phone calls and notifications: Missed phone calls and notifications are retrieved once an hour when you’re in Low Power Mode.
Note that some features may still work while in Low Power Mode, but they may be adjusted to reduce battery consumption. Additionally, you can still use your Apple Watch to receive notifications, control your music, and access certain apps while in Low Power Mode.

I’ve never had issues with Swing ID or GPS functionality when using low-power mode.

That’s why I turn gps off in Golfshot settings to use the phone gps. Sounds like the best battery life will be both gps turned off and low power mode, presuming the swingId sensors are fully functional in both cases

That’s why I turn gps off in Golfshot settings to use the phone gps. Sounds like the best battery life will be both gps turned off and low power mode, presuming the swingId sensors are fully functional in both cases
If you don't mind carrying your phone in pocket that would work.

I'm content with just LPM and no phone in pocket.

Apple does need to step up their watch battery life without having to buy a paperweight.

Samsung Galaxy watches can go for days on a single charge.

If you don't mind carrying your phone in pocket that would work.

I'm content with just LPM and no phone in pocket.

Apple does need to step up their watch battery life without having to buy a paperweight.

Samsung Galaxy watches can go for days on a single charge.

Once i figure out how to get the high resolution sensors working with SwingID I will try with and without the phone in the pocket for sure.

supposedly GolfShot is also adding driving range capability for SwingID...and for me...that is going to be a reason to keep subscribing to Pro even if I end up using V1game for my actual rounds. I will definitely use SwingID at the driving range once they get that added. Also they are supposedly working on better performance reports, so I'm looking forward to see where they go with things.

so I found out about another auto shot tracking app worth checking out. It's being developed with involvement by Adam Young. It's called Tangent. I haven't tried it yet, but it does have somewhat of a trial period. Also there is 30% off first year of subscription using code SWEET30, but ordinarily its the same price as the V1game eagle subscription (which is double the price of golfShot Pro...so not inexpensive...but I do think Adam has had a lot of really good things to say about aiming strategies and its possible this app could be beneficial. I will say more someday after I try it, right now i'm trying GolfShot for a while.

Dallas developed the original V1 GPS app and is now developing Tangent. Good smart dude.

oh really. that is very interesting. I must say I have been watching some youtube videos and I'm already ready to switch over and knowing what you just said only makes it that much more likely. it's like it picked up where v1game left off. if the auto tracking is as good as v1game, then I'm probably in like flynn because I really liked v1game. I see it has breadcrumbs too...no surprise. The watch app definitely does a whole lot more than v1game's app also.

The caddie features are spectacular. For example, it keeps track of your dispersion spreads and actually overlaps a circle on the target area showing your dispersion with the club you intend to use.

Not to mention it comes with a whole mess of drills you can do at the range or on a sim to both gather more stats about your clubs but also to get better.

My view at the moment is that tangent may be the best for of non-sensor tracking...if not the king of everything...but nobody is talking about it yet. I will have to try it out for a while before I can say more. somewhat regretting the subscription I just did for v1game and GolfShot now haha. GolfShot does have SwingID though, but everything else is inferior.

I agree completely. I love where GolfShot is going but the battery drain is too much unless you have an Ulta model. Plus Dallas will communicate and receive feedback. If you look up the Tangent you tube page, there was a recent video of him talking about his journey to include V1, Tangent and other names he has used.

He is going to be adding tempo and a few other swing numbers to Tangent at some point but I don’t think he’s going the route that Golfshot is because of the battery drain. Sky Caddie of all people has a cool looking Game Trax 360 system coming out soon that is similar to GolfShot, but they are using tags instead of relying on an Apple Watch. Sky Caddie makes me a little nervous though because sometimes they have great ideas but don’t follow through.

well also Golfshot partnered with another company already that already has a lot of hackmotion type tech which is probably built into swingID and probably not that simple to do. I really doubt that will end up in Tangent. but a few things like tempo and other easy to detect things with the watch could be cool, sure why not. I just use trackman myself when I want to do that kind of stuff, though was a little intrigued by SwingID for hand path and hand speed and a few things that aren't measured by Trackman, but it seems like its in the wrong app when its in GolfShot..not something I want to even look at while I'm actually playing a round...much less the battery drain aspect.

For me the strokes-gained and club tracking is far more important, and the caddie and stroke planning features. Oh Tangent also has both wind and elevation already too.

Wahoo, Both Golfshot and v1game refunded me for my canceled subscription. Switching to Tangent now....will play round today with it.

Back