Golfshot Swing ID

Hacker67

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Has anyone been using the Golfshot Swing ID that they added recently? It's actually really nice to get these parameters in real-time from your Apple Watch. I think it's relatively accurate also. Being able to see right after a shot how steep, shallow, tempo, rhythm, and swing plane is kinda nice. This shot on 6 was good maybe a little too steep but overall the stats match up.
IMG_1287.pngIMG_1288.png
This next shot on 9 I pushed and you can tell by the swing path why I pushed it.
IMG_1290.pngIMG_1289.pngIMG_1291.png

Thats getting all that info from just the apple watch?

Thats getting all that info from just the apple watch?
Yep, amazing stuff, all while the phone is in the cart or in my bag.

They added all the strokes gained statistics along with pin placement option also this year.

The Auto shot tracking without sensors is just as accurate as when I had Arccos, It screws up once in a while but you can fix it post round.

I hate having sensors on my clubs.

Also thinking of getting the Ultra Apple Watch because Golfshot has really stepped up their game with all their Apple Watch technology.

I really like the green view on the watch when I'm playing a new course, it also gives you a view of the entire hole on the watch including all the hazards, layups and doglegs yardages with pictures.

I don't mind the $50 a year for the bells and whistles when they keep improving it. It's an underrated product.

Day-Um. That app's got 4.8 stars with 40.7k ratings.

Wow. That's a really serious contender to Arccos.

Arccos has been good when it's been good, but frustrating when it's not. I thought about trying ShotScope or just riding out Across until more improvements come, but Golfshot might need a serious look.

But, I assume you have to do a tap on the watch to tell it what club you're about to swing?

Wow. That's a really serious contender to Arccos.

Arccos has been good when it's been good, but frustrating when it's not. I thought about trying ShotScope or just riding out Across until more improvements come, but Golfshot might need a serious look.

But, I assume you have to do a tap on the watch to tell it what club you're about to swing?
It learns your club yardages and it will make club recommendations for next shot so after using it a while you don't have to look at the watch to see if it selected the club you used. If it didn't pick the club you used a quick spin of the wheel will let you adjust to the club you used. Or post round you can make adjustments if you want.

That's the great thing about it not a whole lot of fussing with the watch as I like to concentrate on my game.
All the other apps you have to tap to track shot and then tap again when you get to your shot and also fiddle with club selection.

This is purely automatic and knows when you hit a shot and knows again when you hit your next shot without tapping anything. It will also ignore bad shots in you club distance averages.

With the Black Friday deal, I’m in for at least part of the year to put this through its paces. $20 is all that’s at risk.

With the Black Friday deal, I’m in for at least part of the year to put this through its paces. $20 is all that’s at risk.
Interesting.... 🤔

After a bit more research it doesn't appear to work in the way I would need it to. I was thinking about getting this for my winter swing work so that I had some numbers to go off. Apparently it doesn't do the Swing ID stuff away from a round at a golf course. Bummer.

Interesting.... 🤔

After a bit more research it doesn't appear to work in the way I would need it to. I was thinking about getting this for my winter swing work so that I had some numbers to go off. Apparently it doesn't do the Swing ID stuff away from a round at a golf course. Bummer.
Yeah, they say they are working on that - I hope that part catches up during what I’m considering a trial run 👍

I don't think you will disappointed.
It's nice they added more Swing ID parameters focusing on wrist movement.
IMG_1426.pngIMG_1426.png

A lot of wow! Going on here.

I just realized you can now hit a shot on the course and immediately look at your watch and see all the swing parameters for that particular shot. I thought it was only on the phone.
This is helpful when your game goes sideways mid-round.

To all those saying you only risk $20-$50, I would like to submit my receipt for an Apple Watch ultra as evidence to the contrary. Coming from Arccos I like the system and lack of tags (I'm a club rotator)! HOWEVER, my series 5 watch lasts less than 9 holes with swing ID on and tracking, so I ended up shelling out for a new watch!

Loving the app so far though, turns out I'm FAR steeper on the course than I thought I was and I am on the range (confirmed with video after app identified steepness)

To all those saying you only risk $20-$50, I would like to submit my receipt for an Apple Watch ultra as evidence to the contrary. Coming from Arccos I like the system and lack of tags (I'm a club rotator)! HOWEVER, my series 5 watch lasts less than 9 holes with swing ID on and tracking, so I ended up shelling out for a new watch!

Loving the app so far though, turns out I'm FAR steeper on the course than I thought I was and I am on the range (confirmed with video after app identified steepness)
I also had to update from a 5 to a 9 series, I was on the fence about the Ultra.

I was coming in too steep also which a wider stance and working on OTT helped.

Driving range Swing ID is in the works according to the developers.

It's definitely an underated Golf GPS app.

I also had to update from a 5 to a 9 series, I was on the fence about the Ultra.

I was coming in too steep also which a wider stance and working on OTT helped.

Driving range Swing ID is in the works according to the developers.

It's definitely an underated Golf GPS app.

I bought this in the Black Friday deal last year, hadn't checked about range usage beforehand - and haven't been on a course since ! It will probably still work out a good deal.

Very much hoping they sort out practice usage as it will be a massive win. Hopefully I'll get some use on a course shortly...

Will be interested to see how long it last for me - had the Ultra already so at least I'm only in for the app subscription.

I bought this in the Black Friday deal last year, hadn't checked about range usage beforehand - and haven't been on a course since ! It will probably still work out a good deal.

Very much hoping they sort out practice usage as it will be a massive win. Hopefully I'll get some use on a course shortly...

Will be interested to see how long it last for me - had the Ultra already so at least I'm only in for the app subscription.
I think where it really shines is in the watch. Besides there is no annoying sensors the watch is so feature rich with automatic shot tracking.

Being able to see your Swing ID numbers right on the watch after a swing is so useful for making adjustments on the course.

The watch gives you everything you would possibly need to know from the green view to hole view to hazards and layups. Automatic scoring or manual and you can easily jump to any hole and even has the settings in the watch.

The greatest thing is I don't have to mess around to much with it during a round.

Those that are having the Apple Watch drain with Swing ID enabled, are you using the watch gps or the phone. I have a 6 and don’t have the dough for an Ultra right now

Those that are having the Apple Watch drain with Swing ID enabled, are you using the watch gps or the phone. I have a 6 and don’t have the dough for an Ultra right now
I think you’ll have trouble getting through a round using the 6. I have a 7 and it struggles, and won’t make it on longer rounds.

Ok thanks

The secret is to put the Apple Watch in Low Power Mode, press the side button>tap battery percentage>tap low power mode. It will limit a bunch of the health sensors and you will get through the round. I would get through the round with a 5 without low power mode but barely, sometimes it would die on the 18th hole.

I also turn on Do Not Disturb on the watch as I don't want it vibrating in the middle of a swing which also kills the battery.

I have the 9 now and the battery life is only marginally better than my 5. I wish I have gotten the Ultra.

Do the free trial and see what you think.

I have an Apple Watch 9 (the smaller size)...and I haven't really been running out of battery through the round and I have all features turned on that I can figure out how to turn on, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be giving me the new SwingID metrics that require the high resolution sensors, which supposedly this watch has, but in the iphone app those metrics are greyed out, so something is amiss. does anyone know how to make sure that is turned on?

well if the battery won't last then maybe I'll regret that, but I at least want to try it. There is no way I will get an Ultra, I have very small wrists and that ultra is just too darn big and heavy for me. I don't even want the large watch9, but maybe I would consider the larger one in the future if there is enough extra battery life to make it work having a huge watch on my small wrist. But the ultra, not for me. Is there anything else about the Ultra that is necessary to make full used of GolfShot...or is it just battery that people are saying is better with the Ultra?

I'm still getting used to GolfShot, I found the experience with v1game (now Roundabout) to be so much smoother and easier to auto track my shots...and then the breadcrumbs lets me go back easily and figure out anything missing. It shows the locations of my penalties and recovery shots too. And just a couple clicks at the end of the hole. Actually painless and barely got in my way while playing.

In contrast, GolfShot seems to track automatically ok, but no breadcrumbs in case I need to fix later, but I found some shots did absolutely not track and it was very hard to figure out how to fix it later. I found myself futzing around with the phone and watch WAY more then with v1game. Entering scores at the end of each hole was much more involved as well. I think Golfshot could be better. I'm still going to keep working with it for a few more rounds to see if I can get a better routine down with it, so that no shots get lost, I had some holes not get scored too, when I thought I was scoring every one. SwingID though, is pretty cool and I want to see what all the StrokesGained and SwingID info looks like after 5-10 rounds, so I will keep trying with it for a while. I like that supposedly it takes elevation into consideration for smart caddie, which v1 game does not. But what I like about v1game is I can easily show exactly where the penalty shots went and ended up, I can flag cdrtain shots as recovery shots, which then downscores the previous shot's strokegained, etc. Plus it has proximity charts and what not and really shows my dispersions. there are pros and cons to both apps, I want to try Golfshot for another month before finally deciding which to use. SwingID is a major reason to keep trying.

But any tips on getting the high resolution sensors to give me the more advanced wrist swingID info would be interesting for me, even if I don't use it all the time, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get that working. Not really sure how to set some of the targets either. But I'll probably figure that out later.

anyone know if its possible to auto track putts?

I also can't figure out how to view swingID on the watch from the most recent swing, nor how to pull up the green map or a zoomed in version of the fairway from the watch or how to see distances to sand on the watch (which seems to require me pulling my phone out). Anyone know how to do that?

anyone know how i can get the smart caddied recommendations on the watch? Wind speed and elevation changes on the watch?

I also wish it used satelite images...but I don't think they will ever add that.

I have an Apple Watch 9 (the smaller size)...and I haven't really been running out of battery through the round and I have all features turned on that I can figure out how to turn on, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be giving me the new SwingID metrics that require the high resolution sensors, which supposedly this watch has, but in the iphone app those metrics are greyed out, so something is amiss. does anyone know how to make sure that is turned on?

well if the battery won't last then maybe I'll regret that, but I at least want to try it. There is no way I will get an Ultra, I have very small wrists and that ultra is just too darn big and heavy for me. I don't even want the large watch9, but maybe I would consider the larger one in the future if there is enough extra battery life to make it work having a huge watch on my small wrist. But the ultra, not for me. Is there anything else about the Ultra that is necessary to make full used of GolfShot...or is it just battery that people are saying is better with the Ultra?

I'm still getting used to GolfShot, I found the experience with v1game (now Roundabout) to be so much smoother and easier to auto track my shots...and then the breadcrumbs lets me go back easily and figure out anything missing. It shows the locations of my penalties and recovery shots too. And just a couple clicks at the end of the hole. Actually painless and barely got in my way while playing.

In contrast, GolfShot seems to track automatically ok, but no breadcrumbs in case I need to fix later, but I found some shots did absolutely not track and it was very hard to figure out how to fix it later. I found myself futzing around with the phone and watch WAY more then with v1game. Entering scores at the end of each hole was much more involved as well. I think Golfshot could be better. I'm still going to keep working with it for a few more rounds to see if I can get a better routine down with it, so that no shots get lost, I had some holes not get scored too, when I thought I was scoring every one. SwingID though, is pretty cool and I want to see what all the StrokesGained and SwingID info looks like after 5-10 rounds, so I will keep trying with it for a while. I like that supposedly it takes elevation into consideration for smart caddie, which v1 game does not. But what I like about v1game is I can easily show exactly where the penalty shots went and ended up, I can flag cdrtain shots as recovery shots, which then downscores the previous shot's strokegained, etc. Plus it has proximity charts and what not and really shows my dispersions. there are pros and cons to both apps, I want to try Golfshot for another month before finally deciding which to use. SwingID is a major reason to keep trying.

But any tips on getting the high resolution sensors to give me the more advanced wrist swingID info would be interesting for me, even if I don't use it all the time, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get that working. Not really sure how to set some of the targets either. But I'll probably figure that out later.

anyone know if its possible to auto track putts?

I also can't figure out how to view swingID on the watch from the most recent swing, nor how to pull up the green map or a zoomed in version of the fairway from the watch or how to see distances to sand on the watch (which seems to require me pulling my phone out). Anyone know how to do that?

anyone know how i can get the smart caddied recommendations on the watch? Wind speed and elevation changes on the watch?

I also wish it used satelite images...but I don't think they will ever add that.
I also wished they utilized satellite images as sometimes lateral water doesn't show up in the hole view.

I'll attempt to help.

Swing ID
Go to settings and then Apple Watch swing detection.

Make sure the first toggle is on which enables the watches GPS to be used instead of the phone.

Next scroll down and make sure every toggle is on including all shot detection and Swing ID. The last toggle doesn't need to be on.

Next go to GPS, Scoring, Caddie menu and make sure use watch gps is turned on.

The fact you're getting great battery life leads me to believe you don't have all the watch settings on.

To see swing id after taking a shot swipe to the right twice and it will show you your swing id for that shot, also at the bottom of screen the shot tracking number will be orange and move as you move towards the green.

To bring up the menu with green view and hazard view long press on the watch screen.

After using it awhile it becomes second nature and you don't feel like you're messing around with the watch so much.

To keep score it's just one swipe right and you can add score and putts, again it's quick when you get accustomed to it.

It does miss shots but without any sensors and auto tracking it's a tradeoff and on average I only miss a few a round. You do still have the option to do manual shot tracking but that involves messing with the watch more which I avoid.

Also did you input your specific equipment in the equipment section, it's pretty cool with pictures of your clubs and will show you your last 10 shot average for each club.

Additionally after a round you can click on rounds and pick the rounds you want to edit. It's self explanatory but you may need to mess around with it to get accustomed to how it works.

It's to my understanding that elevation and wind is not included in yardages. The only app I know that does this is Arrcos and 18 birdies yet 18 birdies doesn't have auto shot tracking and Arrcos as you know is $$$$$$ and I think their Apple Watch integration is bare bones.

If I missed something let me know but once you get the hang of it the Swing ID it's priceless especially when your round goes sideways and you can take a quick look and see your tempo or wrist rotation is out of wack.

If I hit a fat shot I can instantly laugh and look at Swing ID and see yep 20 degrees steep 😂 Need to shallow out that swing.

It has helped me immensely being able to see in real time.

Good luck and if anything else let me know. 👍

I also wished they utilized satellite images as sometimes lateral water doesn't show up in the hole view.

I'll attempt to help.

Swing ID
Go to settings and then Apple Watch swing detection.

Make sure the first toggle is on which enables the watches GPS to be used instead of the phone.

Next scroll down and make sure every toggle is on including all shot detection and Swing ID. The last toggle doesn't need to be on.

Next go to GPS, Scoring, Caddie menu and make sure use watch gps is turned on.

The fact you're getting great battery life leads me to believe you don't have all the watch settings on.

Yea I hear you, but I literally turned every single thing on I could find. Its all on.

To see swing id after taking a shot swipe to the right twice and it will show you your swing id for that shot, also at the bottom of screen the shot tracking number will be orange and move as you move towards the green.

I will try that next time. I was swiping right and left multiple times a lot during the round for various reasons, but somehow I never found swingID that way, but I will try again next time.

To bring up the menu with green view and hazard view long press on the watch screen.

Thank you I will try that.

After using it awhile it becomes second nature and you don't feel like you're messing around with the watch so much.

I guess so, but my god it was taking a lot of attention from me. I didn't have the experience with V1game at all...it was totall painless and easy. so far I have found GolfShot to be extremely overwhelming and it still ended up missing some of my shots and scores and was seriously distracting me. I do intend to use it for more rounds to see if I can figure it out better.

To keep score it's just one swipe right and you can add score and putts, again it's quick when you get accustomed to it.

Yes I was doing that it takes at least 5 times as many strokes to complete the hole scoring compared to v1game. Also v1game uses the score I enter and putts to make some guesses about missed shots and add those by looking back the breadcrumb data and its extremely good at figuring out where I probably mode those shots that may not have tracked, but still when i enter the score it knows something is missing and makes an earnest attempt to figure it out..plus with the breadcrumbs its been extremely easy after the round to correct any slight mistakes in shot tracking. i feel like golfShot sometimes got it and sometimes didn't and I had no idea shots were missed until after the round was over and too late to remember what got missed. Plus some scores got missed, I have no idea why because attempted to enter and save the score to every hole.

It does miss shots but without any sensors and auto tracking it's a tradeoff and on average I only miss a few a round. You do still have the option to do manual shot tracking but that involves messing with the watch more which I avoid.

manula shot tracking is no go for me. Not interested. Either auto tracking has to work better or I won't bother tracking them. LIke I said, I will keep using the app in more rounds to see how it goes. It has so far been far more troublesome then v1game. It has other advantages so that's why I'm trying it.

Also did you input your specific equipment in the equipment section, it's pretty cool with pictures of your clubs and will show you your last 10 shot average for each club.

yes I did

Additionally after a round you can click on rounds and pick the rounds you want to edit. It's self explanatory but you may need to mess around with it to get accustomed to how it works.

editing a round after I am done is not really possible for me my memory is just not good enough. With v1game because it has both the breadcrumbs as well as AI to figure out where I probably made shots...it's extremely easy to do that. However, it hardly ever misses shots in the end. Mostly I just have to go in and tweak which ones are chips around the green, which are penalty and where the penalties where, flag some as recovery shots, etc.

one nice thing about GolfShot is that its taking a pretty good guess at which club I probably used...so I often don't have to change the club as I'm walking to the ball. Sometimes I did, but often not. V1game has not been very good at guessing that so I almost always have to say which club I used to make the shot, right after you hit it, the screen goes to the place and you select the club. Sometimes it's right, sometimes I have to change it. With GolfShot...it seems right more often and you don't have to even confirm it as long as it's right, you're already good to go. So that aspect is possibly easier then v1game. But when shots get missed, I think v1game is way smarter.

It's to my understanding that elevation and wind is not included in yardages. The only app I know that does this is Arrcos and 18 birdies yet 18 birdies doesn't have auto shot tracking and Arrcos as you know is $$$$$$ and I think their Apple Watch integration is bare bones.

the docs say that golfshot smart caddie takes wind and elevation into consideration. But I agree, I can find no information on any screen about that. V1game does tell you the wind and if you use the virtual caddie it will advise accordingly. I am not sure if it handles elevation, probably not.

If I missed something let me know but once you get the hang of it the Swing ID it's priceless especially when your round goes sideways and you can take a quick look and see your tempo or wrist rotation is out of wack.

It showed me the basic stats and i'm definitely looking forward to investigating my data in this area. I just can't get the advanced wrist data showing up yet for some reason.

Back