Chipping on Green?

Nope. I usually take a square patch of grass with most of my chips. It’s actually my swing thought to not be afraid of taking a little grass so I don’t decel. I wouldn’t otherwise intentionally damage a green and I don’t think I’d see this situation differently.

Bucket list course, no way. Local Muni...have already done it.

I do it locally when needed. Not sure I would at the status listed in OP. I'm usually already really nervous playing them.

Of course I would. If the greenskeepers put the pin in a spot where I can't hit a putt at the hole, I'll chip every time.

Sure, why not? Open face expose the bounce, and you’re good to go. Unless you’re some kind of animal, there won’t
be any damage left behind.

Well, at a nice course where I’m a guest for an experience, no.

Is it a shot I have and have used in a competitive round before without damaging the green, yes. But you’d better be DAMN sure you can pull it off, and it’s not worth the risk for 99% of golfers.

Nope. I’m an amateur and not playing for any significant amount of money. There is no reason to potentially tear up a green.

I can’t see myself doing it. I’d hate to miss and mar up the green!

I can't trust myself doing that on any course. I'll sacrifice an extra putt or two.

nope. not even at a goat track. If i put myself in a position that had the "need to chip"....then I already messed up. putt around it and take your medicine.

For the first ever that I can remember, I chipped from the collar/fringe (?) without causing any damage. Ended up being an incredibly successful shot.
On the green itself… probably not chancing it regardless of the quality of the course. Wouldn’t be that difficult to reposition the ball to just off the green if the shot really called for it.

#+*^ you, rules of golf! :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't unless I'm in a serious tournament setting. But a casual round heck no

I don't think I would- I don't trust myself enough not to demolish the green.

No chance I do it lol

Nope. I wouldn't do it at a regular public course.

Nope. I've done it once before and got lucky with no damage to the green. Figure that's about all the luck I'll ever get in that situation in this lifetime so never again.

If the hole is built in such a way that you can't get there from here directly putting. I'd say if I'm feeling confident and the design is stupid, Yea I will pull out my wedge. The one time I played Pine Valley the 8th hole has two greens and I pushed my approach to the wrong green. Caddie was pretty adamant that the local rules were you got relief from the green to fringe. So that's how I played it.

I won't do it regardless of the course. It's not worth it to me to potentially (most likely) cause damage to the green. I'll find another way even if it ends up more strokes.

No, but I also don't know how there ever is a situation where a chip is a smart play unless there is a bunker in the middle of the green.

unless I'm playing a PGA tournament then no. For me there isn't much difference in a 3putt bogey and a 4putt double! (ok, lets be real...a 3 putt double and a 4 putt triple)

I've done it maybe twice in 25 yrs and usually have a "brush the grass" swing with a high lofted wedge.

So yes, if I've been playing regularly. But not in the middle of the green. It's typically when I am on the border of the green with a kidney shaped green and I am attempting to go over some rough to roll it back on the green and towards the hole.

And I have a Ping Chip'r. That doesn't dent anything...

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it.... (Chipping on the green story to follow)

Yale University Golf Course is not far from me..... It is an amazing golf course. There's a famous story (at least in these parts, it's famous) of Sam Snead hitting wedge on the green of the par-3 9th hole "Biarritz" style green. I think it plays at least160 yards. While his tee shot landed safely on, the green has a 5 foot deep trench smack across the middle of it so, if you're on the "wrong" side of the green, with the pin on the other side of the green, you've got to putt down a 5 foot deep depression and back up the hill to the pin. It's a hoot! (and frustrating) One story says Snead was on the wrong side of the green and chipped across the depression to the pin on the other side which drew some harsh words from the superintendent. Some stories say he wasn't allowed back... Other stories say he was already playing poorly that day and walked off the 10th green never to return. Either way, chipping on the green didn't work out well for Sam.

Depends on the stakes

I don't really take divots on chips or full shots, but I'd never do it on a green.

Back