2023-2024 College Football Thread

Let's play a game. When you were in college how did your team fair?
🏈 Baylor Bears 🐻, 35-22 record, 2 bowl games - won both (over CU & LSU), finished ranked 12th one year, 15th another, unranked the others.

Let's play a game. When you were in college how did your team fair? 2004-2008 Oklahoma

3-9: wins over samford, tulsa and kansas. 50 point loss to cal. shut out by new mexico, a&m, colorado, and texas. gave up 46 ppg in conference

3-9: wins over smu, shsu, colorado. gave up 46 ppg in conference

3-8: wins over texas state, north texas, #16a&m(lol). 40 point loss to UAB

5-6: wins over smu, army, samford, iowa state, oklahoma state. OT losses @ a&m and @ ou. so close

better than my 4 years in highschool where Baylor was 8-36 and 1-31 in big12 play. lolz.

3-9: wins over samford, tulsa and kansas. 50 point loss to cal. shut out by new mexico, a&m, colorado, and texas. gave up 46 ppg in conference

3-9: wins over smu, shsu, colorado. gave up 46 ppg in conference

3-8: wins over texas state, north texas, #16a&m(lol). 40 point loss to UAB

5-6: wins over smu, army, samford, iowa state, oklahoma state. OT losses @ a&m and @ ou. so close

better than my 4 years in highschool where Baylor was 8-36 and 1-31 in big12 play. lolz.
They are sooooo much better thought! Thoughts on Aranda?

Full disclosure…I did not attend the University of Michigan. Just a life long fan.

I really really do not want to lookup the records for Akron and Indiana football over those years.
I mean I was at Akron when Jerry Faust took them from 1-AA modest power house into D1 MACtion cellar dweller.

Wait - you're from Ohio, but root for that team up North?

Traitor. 😡

😉

Wait - you're from Ohio, but root for that team up North?

Traitor. 😡

😉
I was raised to be a Wolverine.

my Uncle played for Bo. 70-73 teams.

Waaaay too much Big 10 going on in this thread already. I had almost forgotten you boys played up there. :LOL:

Anyway........ GEAUX Tigers!

Thanks, internet.

1689259011645.gif
1689259031490.gif

My Buckeyes will be vastly improved this year.

Keep being cocky, team up north. I love it. 😎

I like the enthusiasm, but I'm curious as to how you feel they will be vastly improved losing a Heisman finalist QB and now starting either a guy with no experience whatsoever or a guy with career stats of about 600 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs?

I'm truly not trying to bag on you, but there's a ton of production to replace with completely unproven guys to even be as good as last year, much less vastly improved.

Re: Ohio State

Good point about the QB. It would be less of a problem if we started out with an easier non-conference schedule to give the new QB (whoever it turns out to be) some game experience against lesser competition. However, opening the season against a Big 10 team, Indiana, will be a little tougher (but hopefully not too tough), and then having to play Notre Dame at their place will be a huge test. If we can survive those two games, things get easier for a while, and I think the Big 10 East will once again come down to the last game of the season against that team up north.

The defense has made some upgrades in players, and is bringing back most of last year's squad, which was not a great defense, but coach Jim Knowles' schemes are very complicated, and now most of the players have had an entire season to learn the system, so I expect they will be much improved.

On offense, besides the QB, three O-linemen will be new, so that is also a worry. However, OSU is stacked with fantastic running backs, wide receivers (like Marvin Harrison), and tight ends, so all of the skill positions are loaded. That should take some pressure off of the new QB and O-linemen while the gain experience.

I can't wait for the season to begin!

I miss Michigan beating Notre Dame to start the season.

as an Ohio boy, I always considered them more of a rival than Sparty.

The ghost of John Swofford strikes again.

I miss Michigan beating Notre Dame to start the season.

as an Ohio boy, I always considered them more of a rival than Sparty.
The new B1G schedule makes me sad. Another affirmation that nobody in the conference considers Penn State their primary rival. And the Rutgers and Maryland additions have been complete flops.

The new B1G schedule makes me sad. Another affirmation that nobody in the conference considers Penn State their primary rival. And the Rutgers and Maryland additions have been complete flops.
I agree 💯 on the Rutger Maryland money grab was horrible for the B1G.

did Penn St even request a protected rival??? If so who???

I agree 💯 on the Rutger Maryland money grab was horrible for the B1G.

did Penn St even request a protected rival??? If so who???
Not sure how that process worked. May have been in their best interest not to. Curious to see how the CFB landscape continues to evolve.

Not sure how that process worked. May have been in their best interest not to. Curious to see how the CFB landscape continues to evolve.
Yeah. I’m almost broken to the point they should just make two super conferences. 64 teams.

call it NFL college. And be done.

Gonna be an interesting season for Auburn. Given our momentum in recruiting, I certainly expect improvement. Hopefully 7-9 wins. But it will be hard not to improve over the Harsin debacle.

Hopefully I'll be able to start giving @JDax crap again. Its been too long.(y)

Gonna be an interesting season for Auburn. Given our momentum in recruiting, I certainly expect improvement. Hopefully 7-9 wins. But it will be hard not to improve over the Harsin debacle.

I've blocked out the past two years in my mind. Harsin set AUBURN back years, so I had thought, the job Freeze has done so far has be unbelievable.

I have no idea what to expect out of Arizona State football this season…hell, I’m still in pain from 4+ years of Herm Edwards!! Kenny Dillingham was definitely the right hire, but he’s got an enormous task ahead of him.

I have no idea what to expect out of Arizona State football this season…hell, I’m still in pain from 4+ years of Herm Edwards!! Kenny Dillingham was definitely the right hire, but he’s got an enormous task ahead of him.
Big Dillingham fan here. Had the opportunity to have dinner with him a few years back when he was at AUBURN, and really really enjoyed the conversations.

Not to offend, but I was surprised when he went to Az St to do a rebuild, as he is/was one of the hottest names in coaching searches, or would be soon. Stay at Oregon and win some more and he could have his pick of any job he wanted.

He WILL do great things for Az St, and I am excited to see him bring them back up after the Herm debacle.

It’s a shame that LSU/Auburn gets lost with the expansion. Most of the time something crazy happens.

I've blocked out the past two years in my mind. Harsin set AUBURN back years, so I had thought, the job Freeze has done so far has be unbelievable.
In 2019, Coach O flew too close to the sun and left us with only 37 players on scholarship. Brian Kelly has done a great job making us competitive again.

It’s a shame that LSU/Auburn gets lost with the expansion. Most of the time something crazy happens.
Being from Louisiana and going to Auburn, not having that game saddens me. It’s always great.

This morning, The Athletic had a piece on what CFB might look like after common sense conference realignment. General premises:

Major conferences’ television rights are pooled (Sorting out rights with multiple networks across multiple conferences is more complex than it is now, but the NFL manages it. College football would be fine working with ESPN, Fox, NBC and CBS to reach a conclusion that makes sense.);

Geography matters; superconferences are dead ( Next year, Georgia will travel to Texas, which joins the SEC in 2024. At that point, the Bulldogs will have made one conference trip to Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium and zero to Kyle Field to play Texas A&M, which joined the SEC in 2012.)

Everyone plays 7 conference games (All eight major conferences play seven conference games. Outside of that, teams are required to play at least three games against opponents in one of the other seven major conferences.);

The 12-team playoff is here to stay (All eight power conference champions earn an automatic bid, regardless of ranking. Every conference title race will have Playoff implications. The highest-ranked team from the other conferences also earns a bid. That leaves three more at-large spots for the leagues to fight over.);

Notre Dame, you’re in the Big Ten (No more special treatment or special rules for access to the title game.), and;

The biggest winners: Fresno State, San Diego State, Boise State, SMU, Arkansas, Nebraska and Texas A&M (The Huskers are back in the Big Eight and might be able to win a conference title, something they haven’t done since 1999. Texas A&M has just one conference title since 1993, and the prospect of winning the new, rebuilt Southwest Conference is something that could happen with some frequency. Arkansas, meanwhile, no longer has to toil as a team with a talent level in the bottom half of its league and can get back to winning more, too.).

Conferences

1689613166407.png 1689613196940.png1689613226608.png1689613252855.png1689613296836.png

1689613330181.png1689613356103.png1689613381363.png

Thoughts? It's a longshot but I've seen worse.

No Way

Back