The Home Renovation Thread

My wife and I are getting bids on kitchen renovations right now. What I'm learning: cabinets cost a crapload of money. It's absurd.

Good luck Ary, and keep us updated. Kitchen remodeling is freakin expensive.

On a side note, I have been doing stuff to my house non-stop the last few weeks and have another 2 weeks of grinding to get stuff done before Erin's graduation. enjoy it, but it has been one thing after another and I almost reached my tipping point yesterday :D

My wife and I are getting bids on kitchen renovations right now. What I'm learning: cabinets cost a crapload of money. It's absurd.

Congrats man! I would love to redo our kitchen. Yes, cabinets are absurd, so are countertops. Flooring can be affordable though. What all are you guys thinking of doing other than the cabinets?

Good luck Ary, and keep us updated. Kitchen remodeling is freakin expensive.

On a side note, I have been doing stuff to my house non-stop the last few weeks and have another 2 weeks of grinding to get stuff done before Erin's graduation. enjoy it, but it has been one thing after another and I almost reached my tipping point yesterday :D

I'm right there with you brother. It's a wonderful experience knowing that the work you are putting in is for YOUR house, but man does it just eat away at all of your free time. And it all adds up!

I'm right there with you brother. It's a wonderful experience knowing that the work you are putting in is for YOUR house, but man does it just eat away at all of your free time. And it all adds up!

Time and money are becoming a thing of the past for me after learning all about home ownership. Wouldn't change it though!

Congrats man! I would love to redo our kitchen. Yes, cabinets are absurd, so are countertops. Flooring can be affordable though. What all are you guys thinking of doing other than the cabinets?

It's a little hard to explain without pictures, but here goes: new cabinets and countertops, resurface floor (go from tile to wood) and knock down 2 walls to take it from a galley-style kitchen to an L-shaped kitchen with an island so that it is open to the dining room and living room.

Any specific reason you are going from tile to wood?

It's a little hard to explain without pictures, but here goes: new cabinets and countertops, resurface floor (go from tile to wood) and knock down 2 walls to take it from a galley-style kitchen to an L-shaped kitchen with an island so that it is open to the dining room and living room.

Sounds pretty awesome! I can't wait to see pics (if you decide to share).

Any specific reason you are going from tile to wood?

The rest of the living room and the dining room is hardwood floors, we just want a uniform look. Also, the current tile that we have gets VERY cold in the winter. Our dog barely wants to go in the kitchen in the winter because of how cold it is.

Gotcha. I am probably going to do tile, but I would heat it so we don't have that problem. I like hard wood but we don't have it anywhere else (carpet in living room). I have heard people complain about tile being a pain to keep the grout between the tiles clean.

Gotcha. I am probably going to do tile, but I would heat it so we don't have that problem. I like hard wood but we don't have it anywhere else (carpet in living room). I have heard people complain about tile being a pain to keep the grout between the tiles clean.

I wouldn't be torn up about going with tile again, but because we're changing the layout we'd have some gaps in the existing tile so we have to replace the flooring anyways, and it makes more sense to go with hardwood to blend it with the surrounding areas.

I wish I was handy and could do some of this stuff myself, but I'm not handy at all, so that's why we have to go out and get bids.

Sometimes being handy leads to more problems. Or maybe it is the thought of being handy and really not that leads to the problems. Either way, anything home related is so freakin expensive!

Kitchen renovation is starting today. We have a small space with the kitchen, dining room and living room in close proximity to one another, so we had to move everything out of the living room and dining room. Basically, our guest bedroom is now almost filled to the ceiling with furniture and boxes. My feelings right now are like I'm on the first tee: a mixture of excitement and fear. Of course, I feel more nervous right now than I am on the first tee, because at least I can control my golf ball, I can't control what the guys do in the renovation.

Our AC coil and air handler are in the attic. The drain pipe is leaking and caused a leak in our ceiling (an entire panel of sheet rock will need to be replaced

Thought I fixed the leaky section yesterday afternoon but it turns out there are several other leaks including where the pipe connects into the drain pan underneath the coil. Fun Fun.

The Home Renovation Thread

Wife decided she wanted to paint a wall in our living room after seeing the idea on Pinterest. Pic is below, came out really well!

This leads to her wanting the TV wall mounted with no visible wires. Guess I got a weekend project now, ordered everything I need from amazon yesterday.

Pic of painted wall, this was first pass before she touched up stuff on the edges, etc.

9equdanu.jpg

Wife decided she wanted to paint a wall in our living room after seeing the idea on Pinterest. Pic is below, came out really well!

This leads to her wanting the TV wall mounted with no visible wires. Guess I got a weekend project now, ordered everything I need from amazon yesterday.

Pic of painted wall, this was first pass before she touched up stuff on the edges, etc.

9equdanu.jpg

Impressive paint job there Cookie. Very crisp lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Impressive paint job there Cookie. Very crisp lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! Painting was all her I just took the method she had found for measuring everything out and changed it while using a few levels simultaneously to get her the points for connection. Pretty cool to see it come together so nicely.

That looks hard Cookie.

Amol, how is the kitchen going?

That looks hard Cookie.

Amol, how is the kitchen going?

I'm actually at home right now listening to the hammering (worked late last night, off from work this morning). No big issues have come up, just a few little issues. Space looks very weird right now because they tore down 2 walls, but I think it's going to look good with the open look when it's all done.

Nice dude. I want badly to knock down a wall in our kitchen. Maybe even only halfway just to open up the space a litte. It's very much a 'one-butt' kitchen.

Had a buddy who knew what he was doing help me redo our guest bathroom this past weekend. We mostly finished. Tore out the old vanity, ripped up the floor, did some drywall, laid tile, painted everything and installed the new vanity.

The drywall patch was for a recessed medicine cabinet and it didn't take too well so we are in the process of redoing that. Past that, all we need to do is hang the new mirror & medicine cabinet, touch up some paint, and we're good to go.

Nice dude. I want badly to knock down a wall in our kitchen. Maybe even only halfway just to open up the space a litte. It's very much a 'one-butt' kitchen.

I'm not handy at all, that's why I let the professionals do it. They did put a very small hole in the wall before taking it down to help determine that it wasn't load-bearing. However, when they took down the entire wall, they found a large drainage pipe that was behind the wall. So they had to relocate that pipe to another site. It was easy for them, but there's no way I could have done it.

Agreed. I'd just head to couch and hope somebody else knew what the hell to do.

I'm actually at home right now listening to the hammering (worked late last night, off from work this morning). No big issues have come up, just a few little issues. Space looks very weird right now because they tore down 2 walls, but I think it's going to look good with the open look when it's all done.

I'm not handy at all, that's why I let the professionals do it. They did put a very small hole in the wall before taking it down to help determine that it wasn't load-bearing. However, when they took down the entire wall, they found a large drainage pipe that was behind the wall. So they had to relocate that pipe to another site. It was easy for them, but there's no way I could have done it.

We opened up the wall between the kitchen and living room. Not the whole wall, but we put in like a breakfast bar. I really need to get my before and after pictures up sometime! One of these days I will be caught up enough to take the time to do it.

Hope you took before and after pics, doc!

Back