The Home Renovation Thread

Sure is a lot less labor intensive. Will be finishing my basement at some point and would love to not have to haul drywall down there ever again.
If you cut it right it hangs relatively quickly. It’s when you add doorways and windows it gets time consuming. Then you have to fill nail holes and then sand and then prime. Haha

Sure is a lot less labor intensive. Will be finishing my basement at some point and would love to not have to haul drywall down there ever again.
Oh I remember doing that. 24 pieces down back exterior steps, I was worn out.

If you cut it right it hangs relatively quickly. It’s when you add doorways and windows it gets time consuming. Then you have to fill nail holes and then sand and then prime. Haha
I just installed right over opening, less chance of stress cracking at corner. Then just rotor zip opening.

Lots has happened since I left for the Bag Boy Championship! So happy with progress.

Ridge vents
IMG_6001.jpeg
Front porch pics after stain. Missing black can light.
IMG_6002.jpegIMG_9871.jpegIMG_9872.jpeg
Livingroom into kitchen
index.php

Master bedroom
IMG_9875.jpeg
Master bedroom focal wall
IMG_9876.jpeg
Master closet
IMG_9877.jpeg
Man cave
image000001.jpeg
Daughter’s closet with her in wall jewelry box
image000001.jpeg
Custom in wall jewelry box for the wife.
IMG_9878.jpeg
Did get bad news though. Some of the kitchen cabinets came in broken so had to be reordered. And light bars were broken and wrong lumen (pretty sure builders crew bc they were fine when I dropped them off weeks ago) but no biggy bc new ones ordered and I’ll take the others back.

Attachments

• IMG_9873.jpeg
    IMG_9873.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 33
I see the Gable vent, but you also have Ridge Vents? If so be careful, instead of air traveling up from Soffets it will shortcut to Gable vent. Love the deep Porch. Those closets... I will NOT be showing those to my Wife. 😀
What Wood is Flooring, can't see the grain but does not look like Pine?

Reactions: J4U
A lot going on in the next couple weeks as we finish up the renovation/addition (minus kitchen countertops, bathroom countertops and sinks and kitchen backsplash).
- All interior doors went in yesterday (still need to be painted as do exterior doors)
- last bit of painting is happening today (minus trim/baseboards)
- hardwood sanding, filling and staining starts Wednesday to be finished Monday the 20th.
- Kitchen and bathroom cabinets get installed Thursday
- All appliances will be delivered Friday
- Bathroom tiling starts Monday the 20th
- rest of HVAC goes in week of the 20th
- rest of trim and baseboards go in and are painted.
- electrical gets finished week of the 20th
- glass for shower will get measured around the 27th.
- final walk through (pending the couple of things left will happen on 30th)

We are scheduled to be able to start moving in on the 31st, which just happens to be the day our bedroom furniture and mattresses are being delivered. I am so ready for this to be done and move in.

A lot going on in the next couple weeks as we finish up the renovation/addition (minus kitchen countertops, bathroom countertops and sinks and kitchen backsplash).
- All interior doors went in yesterday (still need to be painted as do exterior doors)
- hardwood sanding, filling and staining starts Wednesday to be finished Monday the 20th.

We are scheduled to be able to start moving in on the 31st, which just happens to be the day our bedroom furniture and mattresses are being delivered. I am so ready for this to be done and move in.
Always a tight Schedule, especially if it involves Construction Loan.

Always a tight Schedule, especially if it involves Construction Loan.
We don't have a construction loan but his original contract due date was the 27th and we are going to run over that.

We don't have a construction loan but his original contract due date was the 27th and we are going to run over that.
Nice... and rare that Construction is on time. Between Mother Nature and Vendors...no control.

Nice... and rare that Construction is on time. Between Mother Nature and Vendors...no control.
yeah, we went from ahead of schedule to behind, mostly due to sickness and death in my contractors family/crew member's family. It happens and not mad at all, just ready to be done and move in.

I see the Gable vent, but you also have Ridge Vents? If so be careful, instead of air traveling up from Soffets it will shortcut to Gable vent. Love the deep Porch. Those closets... I will NOT be showing those to my Wife. 😀
What Wood is Flooring, can't see the grain but does not look like Pine?
I meant gable vents, not ridge vents. haha, we had a closet like these when I lived in Arkansas and that was one of the wife's request with this. The wood flooring is red oak. That was what was down in the old parts that you see, so they used the same kind of wood (had to pay a little extra to find it in the shorter strips), but wanted it to match. Will be stained the same as the porch. Although will look a tad different because the wood on the porch is spruce.

I meant gable vents, not ridge vents. haha, we had a closet like these when I lived in Arkansas and that was one of the wife's request with this. The wood flooring is red oak. That was what was down in the old parts that you see, so they used the same kind of wood (had to pay a little extra to find it in the shorter strips), but wanted it to match. Will be stained the same as the porch. Although will look a tad different because the wood on the porch is spruce.
Red Oak is a wonderful Flooring

Left the house pretty frustrated last night. Builder is always gone by time I get home from work and have noticed some little things, but when I started asking him about them last night he basically told me to leave him be because he knew about it all and intends to fix it all and that he wants me to tell him all the details when we do our final walkthrough if I notice them. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way, and I get it he says he will fix it all, but I would think one would want to know now so it can be fixed and at final walkthrough there is no real cosmetic things to fix.

Dude it has been one long process and bet you are ready for it to be complete.

What do you guys use for a tall ladder (brands / specific models) for going up to your roof and such? I didn't have need before, now I need to get something that's going to be 20ish feet tall.

Dude it has been one long process and bet you are ready for it to be complete.
That is an understatement, especially after the last couple of days.

What do you guys use for a tall ladder (brands / specific models) for going up to your roof and such? I didn't have need before, now I need to get something that's going to be 20ish feet tall.
I don't know what brand my one ladder is, but it is an aluminum and it fully extends on both ends. I have used it for years. It's a little heavy but very useful when I have had to get on my roofs over the years. We got it at Lowe's when I lived in Arkansas on black Friday.

Man I am stressed out for you after reading the updates.
It's been stressful. Just being honest, but everyone I talk to says the same thing. The key is finding the right contractor. Overall mine has been pretty good and as long as he fixes the things I am seeing there will be no issues. After him basically telling me to leave him be till the final walkthrough, I will but I will be going through with a FINE TOOTH COMB at the final walkthrough. I even admitted to him that we are very particular about things, but we are paying a lot of money for it, so it needs to be the way we asked and right so that there are no issues down the road. Big things which were known for us is that the house is old (built in the 50s), so we prepared for some extras. Some of it was a gut punch though, but is what it is. I'm still happy we decided to go this route as there is no way I'd get the house we will have when it's done on 28 acres for what we are paying if I was to go purchase new.

I've been using a Werner Fiberglass 2 piece ladder for over twenty years.
I do my own electrical so the added safety is a big plus. Even if you don't you never know when the ladder might come into contact with a live wire.
It is heavier and more expensive than an aluminum ladder but the safety is worth the cost to me.

I had balance issues so I'd take the time to move a wooden block under the higher foot of the ladder if the ground wasn't level.
Over twenty years I've gotten better at doing stuff on ladders, but I still had my neighbor help me to re-attach some flashing that was beyond my comfort zone.
I'm not going on a roof without assistance.

It's been stressful. Just being honest, but everyone I talk to says the same thing. The key is finding the right contractor. Overall mine has been pretty good and as long as he fixes the things I am seeing there will be no issues. After him basically telling me to leave him be till the final walkthrough, I will but I will be going through with a FINE TOOTH COMB at the final walkthrough. I even admitted to him that we are very particular about things, but we are paying a lot of money for it, so it needs to be the way we asked and right so that there are no issues down the road. Big things which were known for us is that the house is old (built in the 50s), so we prepared for some extras. Some of it was a gut punch though, but is what it is. I'm still happy we decided to go this route as there is no way I'd get the house we will have when it's done on 28 acres for what we are paying if I was to go purchase new.
So nice having the land, you going to have any animals? It'll all be so worth it in the long run.

So nice having the land, you going to have any animals? It'll all be so worth it in the long run.
My FIL has cattle currently, but once he gets to old to do it he plans to sell them and I will not be farming. haha

• Sad
Reactions: Bus
Back