The Home Renovation Thread

Room for a softball field?
There is definitely room, but it will be a long time before my FIL gets rid of the cattle. I do plan to build her a batting cage with a pitching machine in the back though.

• On Fire
Reactions: Bus
If you're working around Electrical Fiberglass is a must, and yes, very heavy. Only thing I have left after selling everything off in MO. is my Alum Extension, it's very light for this old Geezer. Too old to be climbing and doing Electric up there anymore so Fiberglass was sold. Now just use my old wood A frame for Electric inside house.

Well. I have entered into the realm of 'house poor' with my first house... a 1000sqft main floor 1960s bungalow on a 7,200sqft lot.
Lots of grass to mow, lots of things to do.
The house is fully livable as is, with a newer basement renovation, but the main floor is mostly original. My hope over however long I live here is to modernize bits of it and turn it into my little abode.

Intimidated would be an understatement.
I have started a list of things I need to buy (from basic needs like garden hoses to wants like pizza ovens) to start to figure a budget but I am sure I am missing lots.

Well. I have entered into the realm of 'house poor' with my first house... a 1000sqft main floor 1960s bungalow on a 7,200sqft lot.
Lots of grass to mow, lots of things to do.
The house is fully livable as is, with a newer basement renovation, but the main floor is mostly original. My hope over however long I live here is to modernize bits of it and turn it into my little abode.

Intimidated would be an understatement.
I have started a list of things I need to buy (from basic needs like garden hoses to wants like pizza ovens) to start to figure a budget but I am sure I am missing lots.
Best option is room by room. Figure what you want to do in Master and move your stuff in spare bedroom. After that Bath. Then with some experience tackle Kitchen. Don't rush, take your time. Buy quality items but not beyond other homes in your area. Good Luck and enjoy the progress.

Remodeling my mother's house to give it a fresh look after my father's passing.
3 total bedrooms (including the Master) - all getting:
  • new wood floors
  • new trim (1x6 mdf primed base and 1x4 mdf primed case)
  • new interior doors (2 panel shaker) w/ black hinges
  • new windows - Low-E glass
  • new fans and electrical outlets
  • new wall color
  • Accent wall w/ 1x2 mdf @ the master bedroom
Will post before and after pics when done!

Remodeling my mother's house to give it a fresh look after my father's passing.
3 total bedrooms (including the Master) - all getting:
  • new wood floors
  • new trim (1x6 mdf primed base and 1x4 mdf primed case)
  • new interior doors (2 panel shaker) w/ black hinges
  • new windows - Low-E glass
  • new fans and electrical outlets
  • new wall color
  • Accent wall w/ 1x2 mdf @ the master bedroom
Will post before and after pics when done!
Hiring it out or doing it yourself?

Hiring it out or doing it yourself?
I own a carpentry business so I have the guys over doing the demolition and trim work.
I did hire a friend of mine to do the tile/plumbing and electrical work.

I own a carpentry business so I have the guys over doing the demolition and trim work.
I did hire a friend of mine to do the tile/plumbing and electrical work.
I don't mind Tile but my Back detests Grout work.

I don't mind Tile but my Back detests Grout work.
My buddy swindled me into helping him grout his giant kitchen and my ankles and back could not flex afterwards.

My buddy swindled me into helping him grout his giant kitchen and my ankles and back could not flex afterwards.
Yup, Tile is easy. Grouting on the other hand.

Yup, Tile is easy. Grouting on the other hand.
Our entire master bath floor and shower will be tile. Pretty excited to see it, but it's a big bathroom so I definitely would not be the one that has to lay and grout it haha.

Last coat of filler went on the hardwood this morning and they will be back to do final sanding in the morning and start staining to be completed and able to walk on by Monday. Kitchen cabinets going in today and will be finished minus hardware, which I have to get for my builder to be installed next week.
IMG_0020.jpeg

Last coat of filler went on the hardwood this morning and they will be back to do final sanding in the morning and start staining to be completed and able to walk on by Monday. Kitchen cabinets going in today and will be finished minus hardware, which I have to get for my builder to be installed next week.
View attachment 9267239
Love that wood.

Love that wood.
Thanks. It’s red oak but it will have a darker stain (same stain that’s on the front porch posts and ceiling). Excited to see it.

The honey to do list keeps growing. I'm not the handiest currently but am learning as I tackle small projects. Below is the list.

1. New wood like tile throughout
2. Remove doggie door from wall and entirely patch, requiring drywall and stucco work.
3. Paint accent wall in primary bedroom, with board and batten feature
4. New AC
5. New granite countertop in kitchen
6. Paint bathroom cabnets (x2)
7. Overhead garage shelving

I'm sure there's others but these come to mind now.

The honey to do list keeps growing. I'm not the handiest currently but am learning as I tackle small projects. Below is the list.

1. New wood like tile throughout
2. Remove doggie door from wall and entirely patch, requiring drywall and stucco work.
3. Paint accent wall in primary bedroom, with board and batten feature
4. New AC
5. New granite countertop in kitchen
6. Paint bathroom cabnets (x2)
7. Overhead garage shelving

I'm sure there's others but these come to mind now.
Paint Bathroom Cabinets. Several very good U tube vids on that, Especially what Primer and Paint to use so it does NOT peel or bubble.

Back