Tee up Wedges on Par-3s?

River19

Reaction score
Handicap
I played my first round of the year yesterday and forgot a simple thing that I concluded last season......I cannot and should not tee up my Cleveland wedges on Par-3s.......the tee (even if damn flush with the turf) just catches the club and opens the face...... I know I should of just ditched the tee.

Ideally none of the Par-3s would be short enough to require only a 50 or 54 degree but it was blowing 30+mph and it was downhill.........lol

Do others ditch the tee on Par-3s as well? If so, with what clubs?

Just curious

On par 3's I tee up every club from 9i and up; all the wedges (SW, GW, PW) I would put on a good lie & hit off the turf. Only problem is I never play par 3's short enough to hit a wedge; 8i is the shortest on up to hybrids & the occasional fairway wood.

I play 1 1/2 inch tees for irons and my 3 wood. Even wedges I sort of get it I’m a good loft area just to make sure.

I played my first round of the year yesterday and forgot a simple thing that I concluded last season......I cannot and should not tee up my Cleveland wedges on Par-3s.......the tee (even if damn flush with the turf) just catches the club and opens the face...... I know I should of just ditched the tee.

Ideally none of the Par-3s would be short enough to require only a 50 or 54 degree but it was blowing 30+mph and it was downhill.........lol

Do others ditch the tee on Par-3s as well? If so, with what clubs?

Just curious
I will tee up everything from nine iron and longer. Occasionally, there’s a short part three that I can reach with a PW or A wedge, and I will hit those right off the turf

There's no trigger to people finding the truth of the universe all on their own. 😛

Congrats @River19 . You've solved the mystery.
I am going with what Rahm said “there are dumb people, and those that use a tee in par 3s”.. lol

I am going with what Rahm said “there are dumb people, and those that use a tee in par 3s”.. lol
That guy don't know nothing. Wyndham Clark beat the pants off him at the Open without tees. 😛

Tees on every hole. Even with a 48* approach wedge.
With my irons and wedges I tee the ball high enough so the club head doesn't touch the ground.
Saves me a little time from not having to clean the mud off the club heads.

I play on a hilly course and practice in my back yard.
The changing height of the ball with my irons and wedges isn't as issue with all the practice I get.

Last edited:
Got it.

I have honestly never noticed what others do as they are usually hitting 9i or longer on most Par 3s but yesterday 150 down hill with a 20-30mph wind was a 54 for me and there I was trying to recall the last time I tee'd off with that short a club.......lol

That. Is not the Opsn..
U.S. Open. You know he didn't win the other open. Don't be difficult. Especially when you're wrong about tees. 😁

U.S. Open. You know he didn't win the other open. Don't be difficult. Especially when you're wrong about tees. 😁
I don’t always use a tee.

I don’t always use a tee.
Tonight Show Web Exclusive GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

To answer your question @River19 , I don't use a tee on par 3s often. Especially with shorter clubs. I looked at all my shot charts years ago and realized it actually hurt my proximity and scoring, and ditched them. Still use them on some long stuff, but not near as often as most.

I use a tee on all Par 3's. If it's a wedge or short iron I don't tee it "up", I tee it at ground level with the bottom of the ball/top of the tee even with the top of the grass.

Long Par 3's where I'm hitting a mid-iron or hybrid I'll "tee it up" a bit higher, but still nothing like for a driver of course.

This was me kind of poking fun at it all.

I think it’s greatly affected by your conditions. The courses around here I play since I don’t belong anywhere, are not always conducive to a nice flat lie without a tee. Therefor, always tee.

I don't play courses/tees where I'd hit higher lofted wedges on a par-3 (other than PW, occasionally. But, my PW is 42.5°).

But this past Friday night (6 PM shotgun start), we did play a 9-hole par 3 Masters tournament at the club. Tees were set in some strange but interesting locations. If memory serves, distances ranged from 67 yards to 118 yards. I used LW or SW on every hole and, yup... I teed the ball up every single time (and won a skin ).

I had no sense of the tee altering the clubhead's path. While under super-slomo, I'll concede that maybe some could be detected. But I'll take the ease of propping a ball up to better (for me) get it airborne, vs. any concern for the clubhead being affected by a tee.

Back