Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

I have been really lacking in the fairway review, I'm sorry.

I for the most will only use mine off the tee. At the range it has been a ton of fun to play around with and to see how forgiving it is, even with being the TD. I'm usually very picky about the size and shape of all my clubs, fairways being very difficult for me. I used an old 915 Fd before and loved it. When comparing the size the TD is so much bigger, but strangely enough, when setup behind the ball it looks crazy good and the shape is better than the 915. The face squares up really nicely and doesn't have any goofy lines to make it look rounded or closed.

Last week I used it twice, once off the tee and once off the fairway. Pulled my tee shot from a terrible swing. The shot from the fairway though....that shot got me to fall in love with this club. Was probably the best shot I've ever had with a fairway. Was about 260 out to a up hill green and pured it. The turf interaction was so so good, it just felt like it glided through like the Apex irons. The feel with a real ball inserts of range balls is also so satisfying. I really cant get enough of this club and how easy it is to hit.
The TD fairway is an absolutely amazing club. The shape is perfect. I’m really liking the ball flight too. It was windy today and I was able to control the ball flight and week it low.

love this. My absolute favorite shot in golf is the 3W off the fairway. For some reason it feels like stepping back in time.
3W off the fairway used to be a scary shot for me. It wasn't one that I felt comfortable with or confident about. The 3HL has completely changed that for me, I don't hesitate for a second to pull it when I need it, and I'm confident that I'm going to get a good result from it. If I could pound it like @Kmench does, I wouldn't even need a driver! :ROFLMAO:

3W off the fairway used to be a scary shot for me. It wasn't one that I felt comfortable with or confident about. The 3HL has completely changed that for me, I don't hesitate for a second to pull it when I need it, and I'm confident that I'm going to get a good result from it. If I could pound it like @Kmench does, I wouldn't even need a driver! :ROFLMAO:
Yep. When I pull off a 3W ofc the deck.. that’s a game changer for how I play golf. I can’t wait to see my 3W HL realize its full potential. When o put a good move it’s already rewarded me with 250+ off the deck.

That blows my mind that it’s possible.

My AI Smoke Max is a weapon off the tee. Even chunking it twice off the tee today it carried so well I had a nice mid iron into the green. It’s my go to when I’m unsure what to hit between driver and hybrid to find the fairway on more narrow holes. I think what’s holding me back is right now it’s hard to get three wood tee practice since everything is still trying to grow. I think once grass ranges are back up this will get real hot.

I posted this on the driver thread but thought it would be good here too. Callaway had a fitting day at my course and I planned on doing a driver only fitting today and loved the Max D so I've got it ordered. When I was done I ask what the new 3 hybrid would be to possibly replace my 3 year old Apex. I wasn't really wanting to spend more money on top of the driver but he gave me 2 hybrids to try...then suggested the IA Smoke 3D 7 wood as an alternative. I hit the 2 hybrids about the same as my current hybrid, and didn't really want to even try a 7 wood (kind of a ego thing). I broke down and hit one...then another...and about 15 more. Almost all of them were really good. So I broke down and ordered the 7 wood as well. I think it'll be great unless it's a windy day. It scares me how high I was hitting it (but I know it come down way softer than the 3 hybrid).

With 2 new Callaway clubs on the way I also broke down and bought the Fairway 14 bag. The reviews on that thread sound so good on all the new Callaway bags that I think that'll be an upgrade as well.

Looking forward to adding my feedback about the Max D 3HL. This offseason is almost over. I don’t think I have ever had this much anticipation over putting new clubs (the Smoke Max D driver and fairways) into play. I’m hoping I get the same results that you and @brians have seen so far.

Looking forward to adding my feedback about the Max D 3HL. This offseason is almost over. I don’t think I have ever had this much anticipation over putting new clubs (the Smoke Max D driver and fairways) into play. I’m hoping I get the same results that you and @brians have seen so far.
They're both such solid clubs, I doubt you'll have any regrets. To me, the 3HL combines the best traits of a 3W and 5W into one club.

They're both such solid clubs, I doubt you'll have any regrets. To me, the 3HL combines the best traits of a 3W and 5W into one club.
I’ve struggled with a 3W previously. I’m confident that the 3HL will be different.

I’ve struggled with a 3W previously. I’m confident that the 3HL will be different.
I was the same (it was so bad that I quit even carrying a 3W), and it has definitely been different for me.

Had a really good range session with the TD 3w today. Was finally seeing proper distance out of it compared to previous 3w (shaft issue probably but this thing is easy ball speed wrapped in carbon), and can tell it feels more workable than a more shallow face. Has me pondering a 5w simply because of how amazing the club feels when it’s on.

Hoping to find time to get to a course soon, but starting a new job tomorrow might push that back to May.

I have no doubt. It’s hard to put into words but as @BigMac said The 3HL is almost like combining the 3 and 5W. The distance of the 3 with the launch of a 5.
Like you I can’t wait to get out there on the real grass more. This Friday tee time is all booked!

I have no doubt. It’s hard to put into words but as @BigMac said The 3HL is almost like combining the 3 and 5W. The distance of the 3 with the launch of a 5.
Like you I can’t wait to get out there on the real grass more. This Friday tee time is all booked.

Don’t know when I’m going to be able to get out. We have some rain forecasted for later in the week.

Don’t know when I’m going to be able to get out. We have some rain forecasted for later in the week.
Yeah. Us too. I’m so done with it.
The playing in the rain thread has been inspiring me though.
The added bonus is the course I’m playing, front 9 stays remarkably dry. So there’s hope..

Had a really good range session with the TD 3w today. Was finally seeing proper distance out of it compared to previous 3w (shaft issue probably but this thing is easy ball speed wrapped in carbon), and can tell it feels more workable than a more shallow face. Has me pondering a 5w simply because of how amazing the club feels when it’s on.

Hoping to find time to get to a course soon, but starting a new job tomorrow might push that back to May.
I feel the same about mine. Couldn't be happier about the distance and dispersion I'm now getting out of mine. I'm pondering the TD 7W at 20*

I feel the same about mine. Couldn't be happier about the distance and dispersion I'm now getting out of mine. I'm pondering the TD 7W at 20*
The profile on these are just perfect! The 7W is a great ponder…

then suggested the IA Smoke 3D 7 wood as an alternative. I hit the 2 hybrids about the same as my current hybrid, and didn't really want to even try a 7 wood (kind of an ego thing). I broke down and hit one...then another...and about 15 more. Almost all of them were really good. So I broke down and ordered the 7 wood as well.
So what were you seeing that convinced you? Strictly distance? Sounds like it’s flying high so is that all carry for you? What are you looking for it do for ya? I want one lol

How is this club compare feel wise to the old gamer?
Have you played a 5w before? it is something I always ponder but typically don't hit woods well.

So what were you seeing that convinced you? Strictly distance? Sounds like it’s flying high so is that all carry for you? What are you looking for it do for ya? I want one lol
What sold me was the consistency - they all went fairly straight and similar distances. Actual distance I think will be similar to my 3 hybrid - more carry but no roll. Not sure if I'll end up liking the extra height or not - I don't play in really strong winds very often but enough 15-20 mph that I'm concerned on the into the wind shots that it may only go as far as my 4 iron. A little bit of an impulse buy which I don't normally do but I'm looking forward to the experiment.

What sold me was the consistency - they all went fairly straight and similar distances. Actual distance I think will be similar to my 3 hybrid - more carry but no roll. Not sure if I'll end up liking the extra height or not - I don't play in really strong winds very often but enough 15-20 mph that I'm concerned on the into the wind shots that it may only go as far as my 4 iron. A little bit of an impulse buy which I don't normally do but I'm looking forward to the experiment.
That sounds like a club that I’ve been looking for. Something to get me a consistent distance that’s easy to get up in the air. I’ve seen a lot of 7w love in this thread. It’s been an intriguing thought for awhile!

That sounds like a club that I’ve been looking for. Something to get me a consistent distance that’s easy to get up in the air. I’ve seen a lot of 7w love in this thread. It’s been an intriguing thought for awhile!
The 7W is almost effortless to get in the air. Such an easy playing club.

I think you're pretty on the mark about distance, my 7W fills the gap above my 5 hybrid and below my 3HL fairway wood (which is essentially a 4 wood). In my fitting, the 7W and 4 hybrid were pretty close in distance.

Are you finding that the 7W balloons on you, or is it just a higher launch than you're used to with the 3 hybrid?

That's exactly what I'm pondering. I'd be looking for this to go about the same distance, if not a slightly shorter on full distance (not carry) than my 3H. I'm looking for that higher flight and stopping power on the green - and it might be a choice on the day which one goes in the bag depending on wind and how firm/dry the course and greens are.

That's exactly what I'm pondering. I'd be looking for this to go about the same distance, if not a slightly shorter on full distance (not carry) than my 3H. I'm looking for that higher flight and stopping power on the green - and it might be a choice on the day which one goes in the bag depending on wind and how firm/dry the course and greens are.
My fitter at the Grandaddy gave me both the 7W and 4H for that exact reason - he said they were very close in gapping and I could swap them out depending on needs/course conditions. The 4H is adjustable and the 7W isn't, so it gives me a little flexibility with the 4H to make it work optimally.

I think you're pretty on the mark about distance, my 7W fills the gap above my 5 hybrid and below my 3HL fairway wood (which is essentially a 4 wood). In my fitting, the 7W and 4 hybrid were pretty close in distance.

Are you finding that the 7W balloons on you, or is it just a higher launch than you're used to with the 3 hybrid?
I haven't received it yet so I'm not sure how it'll be in the real world. I think in normal conditions it'll be great but could balloon a little into the wind which worries me. I'm also hoping for distance similar to my 3 hybrid to make sure my gapping is good. Very much looking forward to it but it could be the first time I've bought a club with a lot of uncertainty. I wasn't even thinking about a 7 wood and normally I do a ton of research before buying something new so we'll see...

I haven't received it yet so I'm not sure how it'll be in the real world. I think in normal conditions it'll be great but could balloon a little into the wind which worries me. I'm also hoping for distance similar to my 3 hybrid to make sure my gapping is good. Very much looking forward to it but it could be the first time I've bought a club with a lot of uncertainty. I wasn't even thinking about a 7 wood and normally I do a ton of research before buying something new so we'll see...
I'll be interested to hear how you get along with it. It's a stupidly fun club to hit!

Back