Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

It's to tell what's doing what when you have a new ball and clubs happening simultaneously.

I've been really happy with the Chrome Tour. I'm coming from the XLS so it wasn't a huge departure, although the Chrome Tour feels much softer and closer to the Pro v1 than the XLS IMO. The consistency in ball flight, launch, and carry have been impressive and now that the weather is decent, I'm starting to see what it can do around the greens and seeing a slight uptick in carry.
That’s awesome to hear! One thing going I like is the triple track. I do love that and feel like it gives me confidence in lining up my puts.

Have you ever had a ball fitting?

Still feel like there is a slight differences between 22' CS & 24' CS?
Very slight difference. I've been playing some of my leftover '22 CS mixed in with the '24 CS, so I've been able to compare them too. Feel is basically identical, it seems like they spin a little better on the greens and the ball flight is a bit more stable (especially in the wind) with the Seamless Aero thing going on. It's not enough to make the '22 CS obsolete or make it a "bad ball" by comparison, but any improvement is a good improvement, no matter how small.

I think the wind performance is the thing I've noticed most. It has surprised me a few times when I've clubbed up when playing into the wind and still ended up long because it cut through better than I thought, or when I've aimed to one side or the other to compensate for a side wind and ended up missing to that side because the wind didn't take the ball offline as much as I thought it would.

That’s awesome to hear! One thing going I like is the triple track. I do love that and feel like it gives me confidence in lining up my puts.

Have you ever had a ball fitting?
I go back and forth on the triple track. I use it sometimes, but others I don't want to mess with it.

It's been a long time. I launch it high, have a high peak height on all clubs and can put too much spin on my irons. The Chrome Tour fits me really well from the numbers I have seen. The X would be too much spin with irons and wedges for what I need.

It goes high when I try but doesn't climb. I can keep it down out of the wind. If the greens are in good shape the ball checks up well. I'm sure there are other good products on the market, but the Chrome Tour is for me. Be very hard to get me out of this golf ball

I go back and forth on the triple track. I use it sometimes, but others I don't want to mess with it.

It's been a long time. I launch it high, have a high peak height on all clubs and can put too much spin on my irons. The Chrome Tour fits me really well from the numbers I have seen. The X would be too much spin with irons and wedges for what I need.
See that’s where I’d like some data, and too figure out what I need. I had a problem with too low of spin at my Shaft Up event and ended up needing to go to the x head to add some more spin. I was at like 1800-1900 with the ls head. So it made me wonder as well should I be in the chrome tour x?

See that’s where I’d like some data, and too figure out what I need. I had a problem with too low of spin at my Shaft Up event and ended up needing to go to the x head to add some more spin. I was at like 1800-1900 with the ls head. So it made me wonder as well should I be in the chrome tour x?
You should see more spin off the tee with the Chrome Tour X, although I don't think it will be as big of a difference the spin on the irons between the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X.

You should see more spin off the tee with the Chrome Tour X, although I don't think it will be as big of a difference the spin on the irons between the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X.
Awesome, appreciate the feedback! My concern with going to a ball fitting is I’ll be pushed a certain brand on me. I like what callaway is doing! I switched over to chrome soft at the end of last season from pro v1 and I really loved the feel of the chrome softs last year

Awesome, appreciate the feedback! My concern with going to a ball fitting is I’ll be pushed a certain brand on me. I like what callaway is doing! I switched over to chrome soft at the end of last season from pro v1 and I really loved the feel of the chrome softs last year
You're welcome. I know a lot guys have done the Ping Ballnamic fitting, which will recommend a ball based on your information and not biased towards any one brand.

Callaway is doing their own fittings where they compare the Chrome Tour line against your gamer to see which best fits you. I would assume somewhere like Golf Galaxy or PGA Tour Superstore would offer a brand agnostic fitting as well.

Wind-This past weekend it was pretty windy where we were. I had some provx and ctx with me.

The performance between the balls was wild. The ctx seemed to hold its lines much better and retained the distance I was expecting. I was clubbing up and trying to account for the distance.

Who knew the aero design was that impactful.
It was talked a lot back in December by Finley. Slightly underestimated in my opinion. It has been windy here recently and I haven't noticed the wind affecting distance or flight pattern. No pushing on the green during putting either.

It was talked a lot back in December by Finley. Slightly underestimated in my opinion. It has been windy here recently and I haven't noticed the wind affecting distance or flight pattern. No pushing on the green during putting either.
Its wild how impactful that is.

Its wild how impactful that is.
To many it’s not even noticeable but when put to the test…
Miami Vice Deal With It GIF

Just a little ball testing with the CS vs CT for @Scooby45
IMG_3180.jpeg
Results incoming…

Watching that documentary and the ability to gauge what's happening to the ball in testing at so many points during flight is crazy.

Okay did a little testing this evening of a post by @Scooby45 regarding those of us who have played the CS & CT. For those that know my game I feel I am a slower swing speed golfer and over the years have seen my distance drastically decrease. The testing was 5 shots each with Driver, 7i, and a 58* wedge using my GC3 and the results are below.

So what ball would you be gaming?

Driver: Ai Smoke Max 9* with UST Mamiya LinQ M40x Blue

IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

Apex Pro 7i w/ MMT shafts

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Jaws Raw 58* w/ Spinner Shaft

IMG_0045.jpeg

IMG_0044.jpeg

No numbers to talk about but CT continues to perform for me. Great distance off the tee tonight, good ball flight, distance and holding power with irons and wedges, and a great feel off the putter. Really impressed with this ball,

Okay did a little testing this evening of a post by @Scooby45 regarding those of us who have played the CS & CT. For those that know my game I feel I am a slower swing speed golfer and over the years have seen my distance drastically decrease. The testing was 5 shots each with Driver, 7i, and a 58* wedge using my GC3 and the results are below.

View attachment 9262469

View attachment 9262470

View attachment 9262471

View attachment 9262472

View attachment 9262473

View attachment 9262474
Interesting you got more spin across the board with the CS. Both are close. So it would come down to feel fit you.

Interesting you got more spin across the board with the CS. Both are close. So it would come down to feel fit you.
I found that to be very interesting as well. I should have threw the CTX into the mix. I’ve done that test early on and had numbers on paper.

I found that to be very interesting as well. I should have threw the CTX into the mix. I’ve done that test early on and had numbers on paper.
Were you shots random? Or batched?

Were you shots random? Or batched?
Batched. I hit 5 shots with CS then 5 with CT then moved on to the next club and did the same.

That was what really stuck out to me as well when looking at the numbers. I figured it would be CTX > CT > CS in terms of spin numbers.

View attachment 9262469

View attachment 9262470

View attachment 9262471

View attachment 9262472

View attachment 9262473

View attachment 9262474

Interesting on the lower spin on the CT. I feel torn between the same two balls.

It's been interesting to watch Xander as a former LS guy transition to the X. He started with the Chrome Tour this year but moved away from it, and his ball and clubs combinations stands out a bit now to me. The other guy I keep an eye on for equipment stuff plays different ball brand so I can't really gather much from that on these. And it's been interesting to see how it's all playing out on course for Xander.
I'll tell you from playing the CSX last year that this ball is not a version 2 of that, it's a completely different ball. With the conditions that I have played in so far this year, had I been playing the CSX I feel that ball would have spun/blown off the course. This ball with the way my equipment is setup is working so freaking good it's unreal. I'm just about getting full distance into winds that I should be clubbing up on. I very much might have this setup for at least 2 years lol.
Watching that documentary and the ability to gauge what's happening to the ball in testing at so many points during flight is crazy.
If I remember correctly, 10,000+ data points off of 1 shot is recorded.

@Scooby45

I snuck out today to play CS on my home course with the concrete-hard greens. I think more spin with CT might help me on this course. Not enough concern for me to stop playing CS on my course, but enough that I will definitely try more CT on the course before I buy CS.

Both are great balls. I am just trying to decide which works better on the course conditions I play.

@Scooby45

I snuck out today to play CS on my home course with the concrete-hard greens. I think more spin with CT might help me on this course. Not enough concern for me to stop playing CS on my course, but enough that I will definitely try more CT on the course before I buy CS.

Both are great balls. I am just trying to decide which works better on the course conditions I play.
Appreciate it. How do they play off the tee?

Appreciate it. How do they play off the tee?
I was getting good distance today with CS. I might try CT when I play Monday afternoon.

I had a couple of fades that might have faded too much with CT? At this point, I might just be making things up in my head, though 😳

For my slower swing speed (95 mph driver), these balls play similar for me. Just both are really good. I had a few approach shots that I think may have held better with CT today.

Back