SGI/GI vs practice

nostatic

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Varies
Plenty of threads around the theory about blades being useful for improving iron striking. Curious what folks think about the broader related topic around practice time. Certainly there is truth (at least in my experience) that money is often better spent on lessons than new clubs, but that also hinges on willingness and availability to practice. Not really a black and white issue to me given the variables (I like some help), but I find myself increasingly gravitating to clubs - at least irons - that aren’t the easiest to hit. Part of that is driven by the fact that I have time and inclination (stubbornness) to practice, much less time to actually play rounds.

While I’m not averse to using tech to help make up for losses due to Father Time, seems short and mid iron strikes are more on my swing and my concentration than my body limitations. I get it that a lot of folks want to enjoy playing rounds, may not enjoy practicing, and want to score as best they can - which often means SGI/GI clubs. Just curious if there are others that enjoy being somewhat masochistic with their clubs choice and game. Now to go spend more money on T150s 🙃

The vicious circle. Buy more forgiving clubs to play better, get better, buy clubs that make you play even better, get old, buy more forgiving clubs to stay in the game.

🤣

Not quite what you’re talking about but sort of on topic. My son is turning 16 soon and I already gave him my Cleveland UHX irons and I upgraded to Srixon ZX5s. He has a huge draw/hook issue so we went to the range today just so he could hit my irons to see if it helped any. While he was goofing off with my gear I hit my old Cleveland’s as I figure when we play together I’ll be using them while he uses my Srixon’s. I was murdering the ball with them haha..I much prefer my Srixon’s but goodness gracious the shovel sized heads gave me such confidence something will hit he ball so I was swinging out of my shoes and killing the ball today.

There’s something to be said for clubs that are forgiving or more importantly clubs that give you confidence no matter who they’re suited for and that knife cuts both ways

I just like hitting golf balls. I practice 3-4 days a week. Ive been playing 9 hole rounds twice a week. Im a junkie, and golf is my drug.

My clubs are old, and I have no plans to up grade anytime soon. I have bags of clubs I like to play. GI/SGI/ Hogan blades. I basically shoot the same scores with all 3. The blades maybe 2 strokes higher.

I am distance challenged due to aging. Some medical issues are not helping either. Im a slow swinger.

I try new clubs at GG a few times each year looking for added distance, but nothing has made the cut.

Now, due to swing, and grip change a few weeks ago, due to a sore knee, i did find a few extra yards through my bag. The changes had me hitting the sweet spot, more often through out my bag. I even started playing my driver more often, and hitting more fairways. I was back to a nickel size impact position in the center of the club face. Before it was more like a 1/2 dollar size.

I don't have any illusions about my talent (or lack thereof). I live by the saying "play the most forgiving irons you can stand to look at".

Far too many golfers are hopeless masochists.

I don't have any illusions about my talent (or lack thereof). I live by the saying "play the most forgiving irons you can stand to look at".

Far too many golfers are hopeless masochists.
I think my problem is what I can stand to look at is getting more svelte.

Or I have danced too many times to The Masochism Tango

Back