Must play course near Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

mmartinez27

Reaction score
Handicap
I'll be in Mount Pleasant for a baseball tournament 5/10-5/12 and have been blessed with late games (6pm/8pm) on Saturday, which leaves the morning/early afternoon time for a round of golf. Any must play course and/or any THP members available for a round.

There are several courses in that area, Patriots point, Charleston National, Dunes West.
Over at Wild dunes a couple more, but they can be pricey.

I may be able to meet you at one, I’m only familiar with Charleston national of all these.

I’d let you know early next week. More courses over the bridge 5-18 miles away.

The muni is a historic course on the outskirts of the city.

@PapaJohick what’d i miss?

I believe I glanced at both Dunes West and Rivertowne Country Club. I'm not opposed to paying their rates. I'm checking to see if any of the other coaches are interested in playing or if they will have family duties.

A few guys I know that live in Charleston have always said they would drive up to play Caledonia or True Blue at Pawleys Island. Looks like that's 1.5 hours north though.

Near and in Mt P would be Charleston National, Patriots Point, Dunes West, and head over to the IOP and play Wild Dunes. @JW Smoove nailed it

I believe I glanced at both Dunes West and Rivertowne Country Club. I'm not opposed to paying their rates. I'm checking to see if any of the other coaches are interested in playing or if they will have family duties.
Shows what i know, i thought rivertowne was private. I wonder if that’s a change in their policy. But I’d play there, it’s always looked nice on my drives by. Of course i may be confusing it with another course in the area.

@pumbaa do you know anything about rivertowne? How about you @USAF Retired Craig any comments??

Shows what i know, i thought rivertowne was private. I wonder if that’s a change in their policy. But I’d play there, it’s always looked nice on my drives by. Of course i may be confusing it with another course in the area.

@pumbaa do you know anything about rivertowne? How about you @USAF Retired Craig any comments??
Rivertowne is semi private

Always been? Is it a good course to try?
Goes along the Wando. Its basically across HWY41 from Dunes West. Its pretty tough, think it had a KF or LPGA even some time ago.

I played it years ago 1 time, it was a really solid course but management kind of sucked. Treat you not the best if you aren't a member it feels like.

Dunes West was my favorite of the 4 courses we played

Thank you for all of the input. I was definitely leaning towards Dunes West. My biggest concern with playing is just going to be course conditions. As soon as I get a head count on who involved with the team is interested in playing, I'll post here to see if any THP'ers would like to join.

As mentioned by a couple guys already, those are gonna be the main courses in the Mount Pleasant area. Rivertown and dunes West are by far the best ones in terms of pace and condition. Charleston National is a pretty good course but they allow so much play. It’s getting tough to keep up with conditions in the same way that the other two can. They are more expensive, but I tend to try to play them once every so often just because I do enjoy the courses.

In terms of Rivertown @JW Smoove , as long as I’ve lived here, which is about 12 years, it’s been semi-private. It did used to host a professional event for women. And I would imagine you’re thinking of another course that you’ve driven by as you can’t see Rivertown from any roads, except for a small glimpse while driving on 41.

Charleston National is pretty much my home course. Mainly because I can play it for about $40-$50 cheaper than the others. It is fun and has some good challenge to it.

Rivertown is tough, but very fair on the mass majority of holes. They’ve made some good changes around the course as well in terms of conditions/bunkering that have really helped out.

Dunes west is probably the friendliest out of the three. I’m not a huge fan of the staff as they can kind of have that “golf stuffy “attitude, but it is a fun course and like I said very playable. Biggest defenses are the greens.

I could be open to play possibly depending on my athletic teams playoff games/state championships.

Josh we still need to tee it up again. Sooner than later. I’m playing again roughly weekly but will change.

Stay well!

Josh we still need to tee it up again. Sooner than later. I’m playing again roughly weekly but will change.

Stay well!
Ya dude! I didn’t know you’ve been back at it haha. Work has been keeping me busy busy 🙃.

I’m free to play Sunday afternoon or possibly a morning round next week if you are!!

Ya dude! I didn’t know you’ve been back at it haha. Work has been keeping me busy busy 🙃.

I’m free to play Sunday afternoon or possibly a morning round next week if you are!!
Sent you a PM - in it I said maybe between 9 and 11 - but I could do early afternoon too - let's take it off of this thread - I threadjack too much already - OP sorry.

funny seeing this thread so recent. I'm heading to Isle of Palms June 1 - June7. I was going to start a thread if Kiawah Island Ocean Course is worth the cost. I was not expecting it to be $600. I want to play the course but its not on my bucket list. I would happily pay $600 for Pebble but not sure i can stomach it for the Ocean Course

Currently im planning to play one of the other courses on Kiawah

I think it’s one of the top courses in the East but not sure I’d pay that either.

I didn’t find the other Kiawah courses super great, they are very well maintained, or were when i played them, they are nice of course, not sure $200 ish nice. And your drive will be 1-1.5 hours from IOP to Kiawah, maybe more to the ocean course.

The not secret secret is to play one of the others and get the replay rate at the ocean for a second round, assuming they still do that. And tour can make it work. I think it’s 1/2 off or something.

Just my (have not played kiawah in years opinion)

I think it’s one of the top courses in the East but not sure I’d pay that either.

I didn’t find the other Kiawah courses super great, they are very well maintained, or were when i played them, they are nice of course, not sure $200 ish nice. And your drive will be 1-1.5 hours from IOP to Kiawah, maybe more to the ocean course.

The not secret secret is to play one of the others and get the replay rate at the ocean for a second round, assuming they still do that. And tour can make it work. I think it’s 1/2 off or something.

Just my (have not played kiawah in years opinion)
oh wow i wouldnt have guessed its that far. On google maps it doesnt look that far but im guessing with the island and giant bridge it slows things down

It's a family vacation and were renting a house in Wild Dunes so ill probably just end up playing there

Traffic. Most roads are not built to accommodate, and once on Main/bohicket to get to Kiawah can be slowwwwww, then on kiawah i think the limit is 20? But beautiful drive from about 1/2 way down main to the rest of the Island.

We are leaning to maybe one of the Kiawah Courses, as I was shocked that the Muni tees times that became available at 7am Saturday morning, were booked hard by 7:03am. We have a connection that was discovered over the weekend seeing what they can do for us.

Back