Convinced my nephew to change majors

If he shoots closer to 80 it might be doable on a good day. It's impossible closer to 90. The PAT is the course rating + 15 strokes over 36 holes in one day. So if the course rating is 72, you need a 36 hole score of 159, which means 2 rounds of 80 won't get it done. But you're also not doing the PAT to be a full PGA Pro to sell tees. You're giving lessons as well.

You can't make blanket statements saying 50 to 70K is struggling as there are so many factors like location and your partners income to factor in.

My main reaction is that managing a retail operation and being an agronomist are so massively different areas of interest that there is no way anyone would make that change, but for the unifying theme of golf. In other words, the odds of him being passionate about agronomy are probably zero. Passion > hard work are what leads to long successful careers. Put this all together and I think you approached this the wrong way. Maybe he should have changed, but not because he’d only make X doing the pro shop gig.
I get it.. but he, his family seem happy with this decision.We even told him to shadow a pro shop manager for a day if they let him.Its just odd you have a to be a 70’s shooting golfer to be a pga pro.For me, as long as my clubs are on the cart, the range has balls for warm up, and I have someone to take my tee time. Than I’m all good

I don’t need a guy who shoots in the 70’s to do this for me.Someone who can handle slight multi tasking should be able to work in a pro shop and make all members happy.Not a guy with a pga a title next to his name and a 70 round on the score card. Just me I guess

Now a well manicured course… that takes skill.

I get it.. but he, his family seem happy with this decision.We even told him to shadow a pro shop manager for a day if they let him.Its just odd you have a to be a 70’s shooting golfer to be a pga pro.For me, as long as my clubs are on the cart, the range has balls for warm up, and I have someone to take my tee time. Than I’m all good

I don’t need a guy who shoots in the 70’s to do this for me.Someone who can handle slight multi tasking should be able to work in a pro shop and make all members happy.Not a guy with a pga a title next to his name and a 70 round on the score card. Just me I guess

Now a well manicured course… that takes skill.
So does being a PGA Pro. You're assertion that all a PGA Pro is is a pro shop retail worker is flat wrong.

So does being a PGA Pro. You're assertion that all a PGA Pro is is a pro shop retail worker is flat wrong.
Many courses in my area have gone away from PGA pros in the course setting.The PGA program made it a common practice you have to pay an assistant pga x.And pay a head pga pro x.Now they can have retired or college help during the summers running the shops.Or even an outside managing company running the whole thing off site.The PGA head pro is becoming a thing of the past.Some of the best top teaching pros don’t even associate with The PGA of America in their titles.So what exactly do they do? And why are they needed ? Let me know what purpose they serve?

A course superintendent will always be needed

Many courses in my area have gone away from PGA pros in the course setting.The PGA program made it a common practice you have to pay an assistant pga x.And pay a head pga pro x.Now they can have retired or college help during the summers running the shops.Or even an outside managing company running the whole thing off site.The PGA head pro is becoming a thing of the past.Some of the best top teaching pros don’t even associate with The PGA of America in their titles.So what exactly do they do? And why are they needed ? Let me know what purpose they serve?

A course superintendent will always be needed
And a course superintendent doesn't have a golf job, they have a grass job.

As far as your why is a PGA Pro needed, I know that if I were paying for lessons, I would never go for someone that doesn't have a PGA title, seeing as how I know what their certifications are, and can easily confirm they have had training in being a coach. I also know quite a few people either in the PGA program or already certified, including my brother-in-law. No, they don't all make piles of cash (though a couple do), but they all absolutely love everything about what they do, and it shows, which is always something that's great to see.

I also will say, this topic doesn't sit well with me for personal reasons. I had a family member try to convince my parents when I was in school that they were making a mistake in letting me pursue the degree I was in because I would never make enough money to support a family. They still scoff at my parents at full family gatherings for not listening to them and convincing me to do something else, yet never fail to ask for comp tickets if they're in town. Guess who wasn't invited to my wedding?

And a course superintendent doesn't have a golf job, they have a grass job.

As far as your why is a PGA Pro needed, I know that if I were paying for lessons, I would never go for someone that doesn't have a PGA title, seeing as how I know what their certifications are, and can easily confirm they have had training in being a coach. I also know quite a few people either in the PGA program or already certified, including my brother-in-law. No, they don't all make piles of cash (though a couple do), but they all absolutely love everything about what they do, and it shows, which is always something that's great to see.

I also will say, this topic doesn't sit well with me for personal reasons. I had a family member try to convince my parents when I was in school that they were making a mistake in letting me pursue the degree I was in because I would never make enough money to support a family. They still scoff at my parents at full family gatherings for not listening to them and convincing me to do something else, yet never fail to ask for comp tickets if they're in town. Guess who wasn't invited to my wedding?
That is the bad thing about typing what I tried online.People can read it differently than intended.We have one shot at life.Enjoy it how you like

keep in mind that many a fine teacher arent PGA of America members.Infact I would even bet most top teachers aren’t associated with them.

Back