Recent content by mantan

1. mantan

All Rounds Should Be Four Hours or Less

We got to go out after tournament yesterday. The rare time on a Saturday afternoon you’re going to have an empty course in front of you. We finished at four hours. They felt that that was a nice round at a good pace. I tend to play fast, so not leaving the group behind us felt ‘slow’. Even...
  2. mantan

Wind

I got my pilot's license while attending OU back in the early 90s. The air traffic controllers at the airport in Norman joked that we didn't know how to land on a calm day. It's sort of the same thing in golf in Texas. Days when you aren't making adjustments for wind feel odd. Winds gusting to...
  3. mantan

Cleveland HB SOFT Milled Putters

I kinda ended up with one this week. I was at a custom club shop over lunch getting a wedge reshafted. They were able to knock it out while i waited. So I just killed some time hitting putters. I immediately went the HB Milled 11. I'd owned a Cleveland Frontline Elevado before, so the design...
  4. mantan

DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

That was such an amazing experience...coming back to the real world has been a bit tough - lol No taco truck at the turn. No caddies who are wizards on the greens. No absolutely pristine course with nobody on it that is like a fantasy land. Great people, great food - the events you put on is...
  5. mantan

Played Tierra Verde today. It's the first time I've been out there since it reopened last fall. It may crack the top 5 list for me in DFW. It's an absolutely gorgeous course. It's hard....but fair. A lot of tee shots are out of chutes or framed by trees - but open up to surprisingly generous...
  6. mantan

All Rounds Should Be Four Hours or Less

I'd still say I'd encourage everybody to think about what they could be doing differently to play more efficiently or help others do so. It's human nature to think you're doing it the right way and if everybody was like you, there wouldn't be any problems. Meanwhile we all do things that other...
  7. mantan

Driver Length? Would you consider shorter?

One of the best drivers I had was a 44 inch TaylorMade R5. It was a bomber. I specifically asked my fitter about a shorter driver when I got fit last fal. But he felt like 45 inches was the sweet spot for me.
  8. mantan

Really Good Range Session Question

I happily leave balls for someone else when I have a really good session and feel like everything is clicking. But I know myself. That's when I start trying to tweak things in my swing and it can quickly go off the rails. I'd rather keep that confident feeling than end the session with some bad...
  9. mantan

Off Course – Managing vs Keeping a Handicap

This was a really fun listen. But I had to laugh during the handicap talk. For us pub linx average golfers, it's listening to wealthy guys trying to figure out what to do with so much extra liquid capital.... The horrors of a 68 on the handicap. Having a two way miss makes the game harder. I...
  10. mantan

I really want to get back out to Stevens. Have only played it once or twice. @Triple Lindy - we are in same neck of woods. I am over in Wellington, right behind the Tom Thumb on 1171.
  11. mantan

EXPERIENCE The 2024 Morgan Cup – Sponsored by Cobra Golf

Especially because Briggs is so tight around the greens. The plus side is the putter becomes a valid option rather than a wedge sometimes.
  12. mantan

Unboxing my new clubs

Agree, we all get as excited as when we were kids!
  13. mantan

The Buzzsaw

Ready for you when you come to Dallas!
  14. mantan

Interesting Handicap Conversation

As sims get more prevalent, i can see a lot of golfers improving significantly during the off season and their handicap taking awhile to catch up.
Back