PING G25 Fairway Woods & Hybrids - THP Preview

Looks like another solid offering by PING.

TapAhoy!

Those FWs are bad arse. And I love that Ping does very shallow faces in their FWs.

I have to agree those fairway woods look great. Matches my bag too. Meant to be maybe?

I could definitely rock that FW if the face isn't closed like the older G series FW's.

I could definitely rock that FW if the face isn't closed like the older G series FW's.

Hmmm, my G20 3w was square all the way.

I think these look phenomenal, just sleek and mean. They have my interest for sure.

Hmmm, my G20 3w was square all the way.

I think these look phenomenal, just sleek and mean. They have my interest for sure.

I had one and it looked to be about 1* closed. Drove me crazy. I dunno. Maybe an anomaly. Maybe my grip's too strong. Either way I looked on the PING website and it looks to be square so all is good.

I like the way these guys do their reviews, only 2-3 minutes, some footage of them hitting the clubs, and lots of information and not a lot of endless waffle. I do like the "stealth bomber" look that Ping is using nowadays.

There are 5 videos to jump through on this playlist, covering the overall range, then irons, fairway, hybrid and driver:

Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl3504ZoW2FPEErxCDoELEcB-YNWjf06k

[video=youtube;opPQRGTz-qc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPQRGTz-qc&list=PLl3504ZoW2FPEErxCDoELEcB-YNWjf06k[/video]

I'm a big fan of Ping fairway woods as I have a G15 4W & G20 3W (in the bag). I'll definitely check this one out and I really like the matte black finish.

I like the way these guys do their reviews, only 2-3 minutes, some footage of them hitting the clubs, and lots of information and not a lot of endless waffle. I do like the "stealth bomber" look that Ping is using nowadays.

There are 5 videos to jump through on this playlist, covering the overall range, then irons, fairway, hybrid and driver:

Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl3504ZoW2FPEErxCDoELEcB-YNWjf06k

[video=youtube;opPQRGTz-qc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPQRGTz-qc&list=PLl3504ZoW2FPEErxCDoELEcB-YNWjf06k[/video]

Interesting reviews.

I'm very keen to try these out as soon as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of an old thread but the Ping rep was in the shop today with the new clubs in hand - they look even better in person. I will say the hybrid tested out very well for me on the Trackman - both longer and higher than anything in my bag. Can't wait until spring to hit it outside.

These hybrids look incredible. I love the shallower face and the progressive CG. Has anyone had a chance to hit these?

I was able to hit the G25 3-Wood Stiff Shaft last weekend at Edwin Watts. Let me tell you, of all the clubs coming out that I have hit, this is one was the best. I couldn't miss with this thing. I was hitting it straight down the middle with every swing to the 290+ mark. It was unbelievable...

Had the same experience, Colt. Maybe it's the way I looked at it sitting on the store floor, or the grip as you pointed out or maybe one just a bit out of tolerance (?) but I just felt it looked a little closed and that was when I was really a hooker. I skipped the G20 fairway and went to I20 then Anser, which is money for me - long enough from normal tees to repalce the driver on a lot of holes. If the G25 fairway is longer and straighter, then the driver may be a relic.

I had one and it looked to be about 1* closed. Drove me crazy. I dunno. Maybe an anomaly. Maybe my grip's too strong. Either way I looked on the PING website and it looks to be square so all is good.

I hit the G25 3W today at Golf Galaxy. I liked it alot, but then again I love my G20 3W. In all honesty it looked and felt and reacted like the G20; but for the matte black finish I don't think the average person would be able to tell a difference between the two. The G25 was a touch longer than the G20. Kind of hard to quantify on a quick LM session but it was a bit longer. Callaway and TM are doing such a great job with marketing that they are taking market share from Ping, but these G line 3 woods are really good.

Hit the G series 4W and hybrids today and walked away impressed. Loved the weight of the hybrids and I was swinging really good today so I looked like I knew what I was doing. Was getting great numbers for me; hitting the 20* a solid 200 and 23* a solid 185.The FW was great as well and there just so happened to be fitter from PING HQ visitng the store today and he spec-ed me out so I was getting optimumm numbers. I was hitting the 4W 220 which for me is outstanding. I hope than can translate to the golf corurse. To me both long clubs were good but the hybrids just felt incredible. I want one NOW!

anyone else have any reviews or thoughts on how the hybrids stack up?

Hit the G series 4W and hybrids today and walked away impressed. Loved the weight of the hybrids and I was swinging really good today so I looked like I knew what I was doing. Was getting great numbers for me; hitting the 20* a solid 200 and 23* a solid 185.The FW was great as well and there just so happened to be fitter from PING HQ visitng the store today and he spec-ed me out so I was getting optimumm numbers. I was hitting the 4W 220 which for me is outstanding. I hope than can translate to the golf corurse. To me both long clubs were good but the hybrids just felt incredible. I want one NOW!

Glad to hear your results. I demo'd the G25 4w against my XHot 4w on Sunday and came away really impressed. Both were similar in distance but I found the G25 to do 2 things better - easy to hit off the deck (not that the XHot is difficult) and tighter in dispersion. Got home in 2 on two Par 5's that have narrow landing areas with the G25. Not sure that I'm going to switch but I'm definitely going to demo again and see if I had a good swing day or if the club helped me out.

I'm in the market for a hybrid, as I just am getting back into the game and ordered a set of g25 irons 4-sw. While there is probably an a minor compulsion to go full ping bag now, trying not to fall into the trap (though I did also go with a Scottsdale putter). For someone who realistically will be a 20 handicap this summer, what does everyone think of this hybrid for someone of a lower skill level? Secondarily, what's everyone's thoughts on getting fitted for a hybrid? I know I'm a stiff shaft, but my irons are +1" long. Would that mean I probably need a longer hybrid too in general?
Sent from my Lumia 810 using Board Express

That is a sweet looking hybrid.

Ended up getting the 4W and 20*/23* hybrids and had my first round with them last weekend.

Very happy with the 4W choice as it is plenty long - hit it off the tee three times measured to 262y (downhill a little but still stupid long for me), 244y and 242y - easily as long as my 3W just reminding me of articles I've read that say amateurs hit 4W longer than 3W. Very easy to hit off the turf although I only had one chance during the round.

Didn't hit the hybrids much but I demo'd them before and find them very easy to get up in the air. Pumped about the potential with these. I got the 23* to trade off with my 4I, which I like a ton but sometimes want to hit higher - but the 23* is pretty damn long so this may not work unless I choke down a bit.

Went out and demoed the 20* hybrid again and walked away equally impressed. Carry distances was 190 with a few carrying 196. Loving this hybrid. May have one in the bag as early as tomorrow.. Will prob get the 23 to switch out with the 4i. Now to move on to the 4W vs 17* hybo. This will be interesting because I have histroically not hit a 17 all that well. Couldnt test one tonight becuase the store only had 17 in stiff.

Tested the 17* today and it was very easy to launch. I wanted to make a decision between getting the new FW or a 17* hybrid. G25 FW was more accurate than the hybrid. However, today I was longer (carry distance) with the 17* than the FW. Going back tomorow to see if I get similar numbers.

For some reason I am having the darndest time trying to figure out the top of my bag, especially whether to go with FW or 17* Hybo. PING fit me into the 4W, 20* and 23* and I may just be overthinking this right now, but man did that 17* feel gooood. Well, at least I know I can get a 17* up in the air better than I used to.

Last edited:
I really wanted to add the g25 hybrid to my bag, as I love the look and I've already added g25 irons and a TR Shea putter this year...but alas, it was not to be. Off a tee it was OK (though I didn't like the sound), but off the mat, just too many mishits for me. And when i did hit it well, it just wasn't much better than my 4i (I was testing the 20*). Keep in mind, im just returning to the game, and a high handicapper at this point. I ended up just picking up an original Mashie (which I hate lookwise, but couldn't ignore the success i was having with it), as well as an XL Classic 3wood. So looks like I'll be Cleveland woods and Ping irons/putter, for the foreseeable future.

Go with what works buddy. I did some extensive testing today with woods. Compared the G25 4wood with my current Tour Exoctics 4 wood and there was no question. my TE was 11 yards longer and straighter so at least for woods Im keeping them in the bag. I hadn't hit the TE in a while and forgot just how much I enjoy them. No need to change right now.

TapAhoy!

Tested the 17* today and it was very easy to launch. I wanted to make a decision between getting the new FW or a 17* hybrid. G25 FW was more accurate than the hybrid. However, today I was longer (carry distance) with the 17* than the FW. Going back tomorow to see if I get similar numbers.

For some reason I am having the darndest time trying to figure out the top of my bag, especially whether to go with FW or 17* Hybo. PING fit me into the 4W, 20* and 23* and I may just be overthinking this right now, but man did that 17* feel gooood. Well, at least I know I can get a 17* up in the air better than I used to.

That 17 degree hybrid sounds like it's calling your name Keith! I'd might have to hit one of those as I'm a hybrid homer.

Back