The THP Range/Practice Thread

I just spent my lunch break on the driving range and came away so encouraged. My swing is far from perfect, but I am finally starting to feel some consistency and string together good ball-striking outings. The feels I have been working so hard to engrain in my muscle memory seem to be taking hold and becoming more easily repeatable at full-speed. There have been moments over the past 3-4 months when I was convinced that I'd never be able to make the proper swing at full-speed, having to hit hundreds of golf balls with 1/4 & 1/2 swings just to be able to avoid old, bad swing habits. Encouraged.

Today was the furst day this year that I got up early to go practice. Im talking sun up here. I will continue this until mid September.

This morning it was my 60*, and 56* degree wedges. 42 balls.

From there it was 28 balls off of the 4 uneven lies. There's a 4' hill next to the bunker that allows this.

From there it was putting practice. All putts started from between 15-20 feet. All had breaks involved. A 3 putt was a failure. Averaged 1.8 for 30 balls.

Finished up with about 30, full swing 7i, using left over range balls.

Figured that was enough. At least untill sun down.

Went to the range again today at lunch to work more on the feels of the new swing. I feel like I'm getting there, but still not rotating through as much as I think I would like.

Lesson tomorrow morning at 11 where I'm sure he'll let me know. Also believe that the plan is some driver work which I'm excited for.

Snuck to the range today for the first time in a while, weather up north here hasn’t been great the last few weeks, spent a good hour working between my 56 and 60 from around the putting green trying to get a better feel for using different clubs in different scenarios. Notorious for only using 1 wedge around the green and I’d like to get some more versatility in that department
IMG_6810.jpeg

I hit the range for the first time this year today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesson today focused on weight shift, solid rotation and club path. Started with wedges, moved into mid irons and finished with driver. Starting to feel much better with the new move in the irons and wedges for certain. Driver had some good some bad, but I was getting really tired at the end of the session so.

Will head to the range a couple more times in the next few days (weather permitting) to work on everything.

Practiced in a strong, 1.5 club steady breeze this morning. Weather is no big deal for me. Getting out of bed early to go hit balls is great way to start the day.

Practice a lot low flying shots. Took my 2 Ironwood just for that purpose. 140 yards was good distance. Did the same with my 7 Ironwood for some 80 yard run ups. .

Hit a few wedges just trying to judge how far the wind would move the ball.

Finished up on the putting green. Ground winds made longer putts near impossible to make. I can judge the turf pretty well, but judging the borrow in cross winds, I really suck at.

After the practice, I went into the 19th hole for a beverage, and their biscuits and gravy sunday special.

Went to the range yesterday with just my 4i. I skulled a few with a grounder or two mixed in, and then I remembered that I should be hitting down on the ball. It took me a few tries but I finally compressed that ball and man did it fly. Spent the rest of the range session on that and I probably hit 1 out of 3/4 really solid. Something else to work on.

Sometimes good, sometimes sh!t would explain my range session last evening. Continuing the work from my instructor and I find myself resorting back to old habits if I'm not truly paying attention. I've now forced myself to over exaggerate the changes to keep them at the forefront of my brain. The Justin Rose pre-shot routine where he does a highly exaggerated swing comes to mind. The next 2-3 shots tend to be solid, but if I don't reintroduce the exaggeration I'll go back to bringing the club back too far inside and not shifting weight.

Was happy to be able to dial in a 75 yard shot that's been plaguing me a bit at league. I've found myself with 75 yards in on multiple occasions the last few weeks. So found a flag and pelted it with about 20 balls working on that feeling.

Next lesson isn't for a couple of weeks due to my instructor's schedule, so I'll have some time to continue working through things on my own with video going to him in the meantime.

Early morning d-range time today. Wasn't my first plan, but someone had left a buch of range balls scattered all over the sg area. I got my bucket, and picked up 84 of them and headed for the d-range for some long club work.

Note: 1. Signage every where saying no range balls allowed in the sg area. 2. Range balls are free for locals with a players card. 3. I have permission.

After designing my own diy fairway, and some warm up, I tee''d up a few balls and hit that 8* Callaway War Bird I picked up a few days ago. It has the same shaft as my 10.5 gamer. As expected, ball flights were lower. Carries were some what shorter, but the roll outs were much longer. Dispersions were acceptable.Most balls stayed in, or near the narrow1 fairway. It will probably get some bag play some day.

Next up was my Nickent 4W. Another old, but new to me (ntm) club. Ball flights were acceptable for the most part. Just as long as I used my normal swing tempo. Again, maybe some bag play some day.

Next was my ntm Carbite, 7W. This club just keeps amazing me. For whatever reason, it doesn't fly the ball as far as my gamer 7W, but I'm pretty sure it'(s going to replace my 9W . Just a really consistent club for me. The old diamond in the rough find.

Finishing up, I just started switching back, and forth between the woods, and my 7, and 9 irons.

Probably a 90 minute session

This morning it was 7i, 52*, 9w, 7w, 4w, and that 8* driver.

Only lost 1 practice ball. Hooked it into a drainage ditch with the 7w. Normally I'd go down into the ditch to get it, but not anymore. Those days are over. Especially for a $1.25 ball.

I hit everything reasonably well. I didn't put a full swing on the driver due distance limitations.

We're having great weather right now. Going to be in 90* degree range today, so Im thinking I will play this afternoon.

My girlfriend had her first “learn to golf” group lesson last night so I took that chance to use the range facilities as well.

Did about 45 minutes of wedge shots from 60° to my PW, this range had pins and yardage numbers that were lined up really well, worked on everything from 120 yards and in.

The last of it I spent with my 4i and Driver, both I’ve been struggling with as of late. Really been trying to focus on bowing my wrist at the top of my swing, something I really struggle with.

Back