The Putting Challenge

One 3 putt yesterday. It was me not paying attention.

So taking a look at some before Lean Lock and after Lean Lock stats...

StatBefore Lean LockAfter Lean Lock
SG putting (to 10 cap)-0.81-0.95
Avg holes per 3 putt11.510.6
Avg putts32.633.3
Make % inside 3 ft97%100%
Make % 3-6 ft60%81%
Make % 6-9 ft20%22%

I'm seeing improvement on the short range, particularly the 3-6 footers, but otherwise it's not better and the overall results are actually slightly worse. I think that's because my speed is generally worse, specifically, faster, with the Lean Lock, and therefore I just leave myself too many of those knee knockers coming back. Before Lean Lock I was 57% short with putts, after Lean Lock I'm 64% long. I know the general wisdom is you need to get the ball to the hole, and generally I agree, but not when you have a tough come backer.

At this point, I think I really need to either commit to some focused speed practice. I'm also thinking about reverting to the traditional putter for a round just to see how it goes and see if some of the short putting benefits I've seen from the Lean Lock method carry over to the conventional method, because I think the feel for speed might be better with the conventional putter.

So taking a look at some before Lean Lock and after Lean Lock stats...

StatBefore Lean LockAfter Lean Lock
SG putting (to 10 cap)-0.81-0.95
Avg holes per 3 putt11.510.6
Avg putts32.633.3
Make % inside 3 ft97%100%
Make % 3-6 ft60%81%
Make % 6-9 ft20%22%

I'm seeing improvement on the short range, particularly the 3-6 footers, but otherwise it's not better and the overall results are actually slightly worse. I think that's because my speed is generally worse, specifically, faster, with the Lean Lock, and therefore I just leave myself too many of those knee knockers coming back. Before Lean Lock I was 57% short with putts, after Lean Lock I'm 64% long. I know the general wisdom is you need to get the ball to the hole, and generally I agree, but not when you have a tough come backer.

At this point, I think I really need to either commit to some focused speed practice. I'm also thinking about reverting to the traditional putter for a round just to see how it goes and see if some of the short putting benefits I've seen from the Lean Lock method carry over to the conventional method, because I think the feel for speed might be better with the conventional putter.
Speed control on shorts putts is where I suffer also. I'm also in the boat of hitting it too far past when I miss that I leave those long comeback putts that I can miss also!

Speed control on shorts putts is where I suffer also. I'm also in the boat of hitting it too far past when I miss that I leave those long comeback putts that I can miss also!
It's actually more the mid and longer range putts (outside of about 15 feet) where speed is a problem. The short ones I'm actually OK. It's made my lag putting very streaky of late - tough to keep 3 putts off the card if you keep leaving yourself 8-10 footers on your 2nd putt.

It's actually more the mid and longer range putts (outside of about 15 feet) where speed is a problem. The short ones I'm actually OK. It's made my lag putting very streaky of late - tough to keep 3 putts off the card if you keep leaving yourself 8-10 footers on your 2nd putt.
I will leave 1 6ft putt with 8-10ft comebacker because I blow it by then the rest of the round I'm scared to putt.

I will leave 1 6ft putt with 8-10ft comebacker because I blow it by then the rest of the round I'm scared to putt.
Oh man, yeah that's tough. And you don't have that issue with a conventional putter, correct?

Oh man, yeah that's tough. And you don't have that issue with a conventional putter, correct?
I don't blow 6footers 8ft past with a conventional putter. If anything I leave them like 2 revolutions short :( I suck at putting no matter what I try!

I don't blow 6footers 8ft past with a conventional putter. If anything I leave them like 2 revolutions short :( I suck at putting no matter what I try!

Usa Network Reaction GIF by Suits

I think I am improving in little bits but I've still got work to do!

Usa Network Reaction GIF by Suits

I think I am improving in little bits but I've still got work to do!
it's just such a strange feel to it. I love it in that 12-20ft range. I've made more of those than ever. Even the 3-6ft range shotscope tells me I"m better but it feels worse because I"m scared.

Sunday due to a snafu, I had to use a buddys Scotty. It didnt work for me. 11 3 putts. Yesterday I had the Lean Lock. Zero 3 putts, One longer putt made somewhere between 25 & 30'. A lot of poor pitching and chipping forgiven with every putt 8' and under made. This Lean Lock really, really works for me.

Back